Recipe for traditional 'hedgehogs' please

Page 1 / 2
arthurdent2, Sep 11, 2:31am
Has anyone got the recipe for the traditional (raw) 'hedgehogs' made from dried fruit (dates and figs etc) rolled in dessicated coconut! It would be 1930's -1950's vintage. Not interested in any modernisations of this recipe with added chocolate etc.

pickles7, Sep 11, 2:36am
this was done a little while back.
you should find it by using the search function, on the left of your screen.

bluetigerrr, Sep 11, 3:06am
Well, just to bump this up . I too am searching for a plain good hedgehog biscuit slice recipe with a good icing so can anyone help us both! They have all got a bit too stuffed with other stuff.

elliehen, Sep 11, 3:22am
I've got it in an old Aunt Daisy cookbook.Will get back to you soonish ;)

jenner4, Sep 11, 4:18am
Wish I knew as I too remember them , would love to make as well

arthurdent2, Sep 11, 4:22am
before posting this thread I did a 1 year search and came up with 5 threads, none of which included the recipe. "Ancient and modern hedgehog recipes" is about roadkill and I find it deeply offensive. The other 4 threads which came up also don't include the recipe: "animal themed party foods please help with ideas", "Help, I need some green finger food!","Recipes - Circle of Friends", and "animal themed party foods please help with ideas". If you found anything else I would be grateful if you would post the link. Thanks.

arthurdent2, Sep 11, 4:27am
Good morning, good morning, good morning! Yes, Aunt Daisy's recipe would be definitely be the original. My copy is in storage so if you have it handy that would be most welcome.

jbsouthland, Sep 11, 4:37am
" Good morning ,good morning,good morning.and what a goodmorning it is too .the sun is shining right up my back passage."My Grandma would tell us kids this wasone of her greetings.would love an Aunt Daisy cookbook.Have seen snippets of her on Telly.

samsnan, Sep 11, 4:52am
jb you can still buy her cookbooks in the bookshops. Most have them.

pickles7, Sep 11, 5:10am
I didn't look , just remember the post being posted.
I have a recipe but it is just putting stuff together, not actually baking any thing. lol.
Road kill , fancy that offending you.

lurtz, Sep 11, 5:49am
Hi Pickles, I'd like your recipe please:-) I enjoy trying NZ recipes with quaint homegrown names. In some of the vintage NZ recipe books I have collected over the years, there are interesting titles introducing the recipe. I did find a reference for "Fairy hedgehogs" in an old copy of NZ Truth Cookery Book, however it was a concoction of bananas and almonds and peanut butter, and it was baked, not raw, as Poster# 1 requested. It seems your recipe is not baked, so maybe it is the one!

pickles7, Sep 11, 6:06am
You make them out of mellow puffs, liquorish feet and nose, stuck on with icing. stick almond slivers made into quills into the biscuits.

elliehen, Sep 11, 6:11am
I am still hunting for the Aunt Daisy book (over 5000 books in my house!)and in the meantime, have found this old handwritten recipe.Will keep looking for Aunt Daisy.

HEDGEHOGS

one tin sweetened condensed milk
one cup coconut
enough dried fruits to make a firm mixture
1/2 cup figs, chopped
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 packet crystallised ginger, chopped
1/2 packet cherries, chopped

Roll little 'sausages' in coconut and bake in a very slow oven (140*C) until they are set but not brown.

lurtz, Sep 11, 6:51am
That's very cool Pickles. Thank you:-)I can make this with myweegrand daughter, who is an enthusiastic 'cook' and a lover of bugs and creatures we find in our garden. Mallow puff hedgehogs will be a hit with her!

pickles7, Sep 11, 7:03am
There are probably, as many recipe's to make a hog, as for making a, "fool".
I cannot find my recipe, it was not in the book I thought it was in. My recipe is way different than the one.elliehen posted.
gee.elliehen.I have got rid of 4 huge boxes of books, I find myself going to the computer first now, rather than going through my books. Out they go. Dumping off to op shops as the postage is getting up there for a lot of people.

pickles7, Sep 11, 7:15am
for sure.
I have put up the way to make swans using choux pastry on here somewhere, she would love to make those up. Pipe out an eclair, use a smaller nozzle to pipe the number 2, adding a bit of length to the bottom of the 2, coming up to the neck. Split the eclair in half, cut the top in half, fill the bottom with whipped cream, pop the neck on then arrange the wings. Dust with icing sugar. Start the 2 at the bottom that way you will be able to shape the head better. enjoy.

lurtz, Sep 11, 8:08am
Pickles7Thank you;-) I love the idea of a chouxswan. My darling mum used to make number 2 ducks and swans with pikelet mixture on the griddle/girdle. My job was to not burn myself, as I placed sultana or currant eyes in the rapidly spreading mixture. Thanks for rekindling the memory for me Pickles.

jessie981, Sep 11, 8:30am
These are my Hedgehogs
125gr butter
125gr sugar
2 - 3c Kornies
6oz flour
1tsp b/powder
1tsp g/syrup
2 eggs
1c fruit
1tsp vanila essence
Cream butter & Sugar, add eggs, syrup & vanilla essence. Beat weel then add chopped fruit then dry ingredients
Drop in spoonfuls & bake mod oven
or
Beat 4oz butter & 3oz sugar. Add 1 egg & beat. Add 5oz flour, 1tsp b/powder, 1c chopped dried fruit. Drop spoonfuls into Kornies or Cornflakes & bake 10 -15 mins @ 150

rubyjane11, Sep 12, 2:23am
we have always called these bumble bees

arthurdent2, Sep 12, 2:31am
Has anyone got the recipe for the traditional (raw) 'hedgehogs' made from dried fruit (dates and figs etc) rolled in dessicated coconut! It would be 1930's -1950's vintage. Not interested in any modernisations of this recipe with added chocolate etc.

elliehen, Sep 12, 3:22am
I've got it in an old Aunt Daisy cookbook.Will get back to you soonish ;)

arthurdent2, Sep 12, 4:22am
Before starting this thread I did a 1 year search and came up with 5 threads, none of which included the recipe. "Ancient and modern hedgehog recipes" is about roadkill and I find it deeply offensive. The other 4 threads which came up also don't include the recipe: "animal themed party foods please help with ideas", "Help, I need some green finger food!","Recipes - Circle of Friends", and "animal themed party foods please help with ideas". If you found anything else I would be grateful if you would post the link. Thanks.

elliehen, Sep 12, 4:25am
You'll be correct, rubyjane.The one I posted is from an old handwritten scrap of paper and could well have been corrupted in the process by someone who thought they looked more like hedgehogs than bumblebees ;)

arthurdent2, Sep 12, 4:27am
Good morning, good morning, good morning! Yes, Aunt Daisy's recipe would be definitely be the original. My copy is in storage so if you have it handy that would be most welcome.

pickles7, Sep 12, 5:10am
I didn't look , just remember the post being posted.
I have a recipe but it is just putting stuff together, not actually baking any thing. lol.
Road kill , fancy that offending you.