Recipe for traditional 'hedgehogs' please

Page 2 / 2
indy95, Sep 12, 5:23am
Here is another version of " Bumblebees".

1 c dates
1/2 c walnuts
1/2 c preserved ginger
1/2 c dried figs
1 c sultanas or raisins
1 c coconut
Condensed milk

Chop all the dried fruitand walnuts ( not too finely ) then combine with coconut and condensed milk to form a mixture that sticks together.
Roll spoonfuls of mixture into balls and shape into ovals. Roll in extra coconut and chill.

lurtz, Sep 12, 5:49am
Hi Pickles, I'd like your recipe please:-) I enjoy trying NZ recipes with quaint homegrown names. In some of the vintage NZ recipe books I have collected over the years, there are interesting titles introducing the recipe. I did find a reference for "Fairy hedgehogs" in an old copy of NZ Truth Cookery Book, however it was a concoction of bananas and almonds and peanut butter, and it was baked, not raw, as Poster# 1 requested. It seems your recipe is not baked, so maybe it is the one!

elliehen, Sep 12, 6:11am
I am still hunting for the Aunt Daisy book (over 5000 books in my house!)and in the meantime, have found this old handwritten recipe.Will keep looking for Aunt Daisy.

HEDGEHOGS

one tin sweetened condensed milk
one cup coconut
enough dried fruits to make a firm mixture
1/2 cup figs, chopped
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 packet crystallised ginger, chopped
1/2 packet cherries, chopped

Roll little 'sausages' in coconut and bake in a very slow oven (140*C) until they are set but not brown.

indy95, Sep 12, 6:12am
I'm sure I have another recipe which doesn't have condensed milk in it. I will post it when I remember which book it is in.

lurtz, Sep 12, 6:51am
That's very cool Pickles. Thank you:-)I can make this with myweegrand daughter, who is an enthusiastic 'cook' and a lover of bugs and creatures we find in our garden. Mallow puff hedgehogs will be a hit with her!

pickles7, Sep 12, 7:03am
There are probably, as many recipe's to make a hog, as for making a, "fool".
I cannot find my recipe, it was not in the book I thought it was in. My recipe is way different than the one.elliehen posted.
gee.elliehen.I have got rid of 4 huge boxes of books, I find myself going to the computer first now, rather than going through my books. Out they go. Dumping off to op shops as the postage is getting up there for a lot of people.

pickles7, Sep 12, 7:15am
for sure.
I have put up the way to make swans using choux pastry on here somewhere, she would love to make those up. Pipe out an eclair, use a smaller nozzle to pipe the number 2, adding a bit of length to the bottom of the 2, coming up to the neck. Split the eclair in half, cut the top in half, fill the bottom with whipped cream, pop the neck on then arrange the wings. Dust with icing sugar. Start the 2 at the bottom that way you will be able to shape the head better.enjoy.

arthurdent2, Sep 12, 7:56am
Yes, this is the recipe I was looking for -can't remember if it had condensed milk or not but I would like to try both recipes. Thanks, indy95.

rubyjane11, Sep 13, 2:23am
we have always called these bumble bees.in my ladies a plate cookbook they also also called that to!

elliehen, Sep 13, 4:25am
You'll be correct, rubyjane.The one I posted is from an old handwritten scrap of paper and could well have been corrupted in the process by someone who thought they looked more like hedgehogs than bumblebees ;)

indy95, Sep 13, 6:12am
I'm sure I have another recipe which doesn't have condensed milk in it. I will post it when I remember which book it is in.

arthurdent2, Sep 13, 7:56am
Yes, this is the recipe I was looking for -can't remember if it had condensed milk or not but I would like to try both recipes. Thanks, indy95.