Rye bread - Panasonic bread maker

hers.nz, Sep 3, 11:52pm
I've made my first loaf but have found the texture a bit sticky, like a good ginger loaf or a slightly undercooked banana or apple cake and it had the characteristic dark, puckered look in top crust that you get with over moist banana cakes.
I followed the recipe exactly as per the book. Before I try another one can anyone suggest the best alteration to the mix to make it less sticky (leaves residue on the electric knife) and stodgy.

pickles7, Sep 4, 12:29am
Did you cut the bread when it was still a bit warm!

thitryfiver, Sep 4, 1:48am
Just leave it a day before slicing, or add tad less water.to mix .

buzzy110, Sep 4, 4:06am
The sticky texture you talk about is exactly how pure rye bread is, which is why there are hardly any recipes around for it. Most rye breads call for a mix of wheat and rye flours. Leaving it for a day will not make any difference to the sticky texture and I do not recommend using less water than the recipe calls for.

Find another recipe that uses a mix of flours or learn to live with the unfamiliar texture. I've made it by hand before and find that I can cook it for longer but it will still be sticky.

hers.nz, Sep 4, 4:14am
Thanks all. Bread was left overnight and cut so not too warm. I'm hoping to get a rye bread similar to one a Danish friend's mother made - heavy, dense but not sticky. You can buy it in small packets in many delis but it is very expensive. The commercial rye breads on the market are all fluffy.

buzzy110, Sep 4, 5:47am
Would the Deli packets be pumpernickle! If so then they are cooked differently. I think uli said that they were cooked in lidded containers in boiling water, or something. Fluffy commercial rye bread on the market is not pure rye. It is made using a mix of grains and definitely gluten. Rye is best made using wild yeasts (sour dough) rather than with commercial instant yeasts.

If it is not too much bother, can you get the recipe off your friend and possibly post it on here. I'd love to try it and see how it comes out using wild yeasts.

auburn4, Sep 4, 9:16am
As buzzy said it sounds more like pumpernickel bread. I made some years ago and it was baked in the oven like other breads. It has molasses and is a very dark almost black bread and delicious.