What cake can i make with Sour Cream!

jodie-mike, Aug 21, 11:13pm
Hi, have a large tub of this which needs to be used.sure i can chuck it on top of the frozen wedges i have in the freezer if it comes to that, but would far rather make a yummy cake with it!
I do have a devine Lemon Sour Cream cake recipe that i would usually do but i have no lemons at the moment.
Any other ideas!

My tummy thanks you in advance . (however my hips may curse you)

theanimal1, Aug 21, 11:18pm
American Style Coffee Cake

For the crumble topping:
45g plain flour
45g walnuts , finely chopped (I used almonds)
60g brown sugar
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
45g unsalted butter , melted
125g raspberries - or diced plums if preferred (really you could use any kind of soft fruit and I'm sure it would work)

For the cake:
150g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
150g soured cream or thick Greek yoghurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
110g caster sugar
1 large egg

Method
Method:
1. Make the topping. Place the flour, chopped walnuts, Muscovado sugar, cinnamon and salt into bowl. Add melted butter and mix until crumbly. Leave to firm up in the fridge.

2. Set the oven to 180°C/gas4. Lightly grease and base line a 23cm cake tin with baking parchment. To make the cake, melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat.

3. Put the flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt into a large bowl. Stir in the Greek yoghurt, vanilla extract, caster sugar and egg.

4. Add the melted butter and beat the mixture until smooth.

5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and scatter over the raspberries.

6. Remove the topping mixture from the fridge, break into crumbly pieces and sprinkle over the raspberries.

7. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.

9. Cut into slices and serve.

245sam, Aug 21, 11:28pm
How about chocolate or banana cake!

"Sour cream chocolate cake
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups sour cream
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
dash of cinnamon
1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup water

Beat eggs and sugar together until light; add sour cream and dry ingredients. Dissolve cocoa in warm water and add to batter.
Pour into 3 greased 9-inch layer pans.
Bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (about 25-30 minutes). Posted by toolband1

Jo Seagers Big Choc Birthday Cake
For the cake
3c sugar
3c flour
3tsp b powder
3tsp b soda
3 eggs
1.5c sour cream
3/4c cocoa
1.5c strong coffee (can be instant)
2tsp vanilla essence

For the glaze
200g dark chocolate
50g butter
1TBS golden syrup

Oven @ 180C
Spray a 28-30cm springform tin with baking spray,and line the base with baking paper.
Place all the cake ingreds in food processor or large mixing bowl and mix well.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 70 -75 mins.
Cool on a wire rack.

Melt the dark chocolate,butter and golden syrup together and mix til smooth.Carefully level the top of the cake with a sharp knife,then spread with the chocolate glaze.

Quotewinnie231 (106 )7:07 pm, Fri 17 Sep #2"

“Banana and sour cream cake
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1 cup mashed banana, plus 2 to slice for the filling
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
Whipped cream
Icing sugar
1 Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line the cake tin.
2 Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time then add the banana and fold through.
3 Mix the vanilla, sour cream and baking soda together then add to the banana mixture. Stir in the ground almonds.
4 Sift the flour and cinnamon then add. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5 When the cake is cool, slice in half and spread with whipped cream and sliced bananas. Dust the top layer liberally with icing sugar.

Quotepam.delilah (572 )7:42 am, Wed 24 Nov #4”

or….
Does a Sour Cream Pie appeal! I have Alison Holst's recipes for Sour Cream Onion Pie, Sour Cream Fruit Pie (can be made with e.g. apricots, peaches, pears), Sour Cream Raisin Pie (has a spicy fruit filling and is raisin by name but actually uses sultanas).:-))

jodie-mike, Aug 21, 11:42pm
oh options options!
Ok, i love the sound of the first one but i dont have a single peice of soft fruit in the house other than kiwifruit which i think would be ick.
I might save for a furture bake when mum is here next week as she would love that topping - thanks for that one.
Choc cake.an oldie but a goodie. I might try the Jo Seagar one.thanks.

pam.delilah, Aug 22, 1:27am
Sour cream coffee cake

1/2 tsp b-soda,1/2 cup black coffee, cooled,175g butter,softened, 1 cup caster sugar, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 cups s-r flour,

Dissolve the b-soda in the coffee and set aside. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the sour cream. Sift the s-r flour and fold into the creamed mixture with the cooled coffee. Turn into a greased and lined 23cm cake tin. Bake at 180 for 35min. Cool in the cake tin for 10mins before turning out.

rozke, Aug 22, 1:35am
sour cream banana cake:-3 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup oil, 3/4 cup sour cream, 3 or 4 bananas, beat well.addd2 cups flour 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda bake 170o C1 hour.Easy Peasy and so moist and yummy

wildflower, Aug 22, 4:30am
245sam, can you please post the recipe for sour cream fruit pie!

pamellie, Aug 22, 4:32am
Plum Pie

175g plain flour
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
90g butter
1 egg

Put all ingredients except egg into food processor, whiz 1 minute.
Beat egg and add to bowl, whiz briefly.
Press over base of tin.

300ml sour cream
2 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
1 large can (850g) black doris plums stoned and drained.

Arrange plums over pastry.
Beat sour cream, egg yolks and sugar together.
Pour over plums.

Bake above centre of oven 50 -55 minutes at 195 C.

245sam, Aug 22, 5:30am
Sure wildflower, here you are.

Alison Holst's SOUR CREAM FRUIT PIE
For 4-6 servings.
1 x 23cm (9”) uncooked piecrust
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 egg
½ cup sour cream
halved canned peaches, apricots, pears, very well drained

In a small bowl mix the brown sugar and flour.Add the egg and sour cream, and beat with a fork or rotary beater until the mixture is free from lumps.
Arrange the fruit pieces, cut-side down, on the uncooked pie shell.Pour the egg and cream mixture around the fruit.
Bake at 220°C (425°F) for 10 minutes, then at 180°C (350°F) for 15 minutes, or until the filling has set.
Serve hot, warm or cold.
Note:When this pie comes out of the oven, it may be puffy in the middle.It will fall as it cools.It is best to make this pie a couple of hours or less before serving it, because the fruit and custard shrink away from each other on standing, leaving gaps.Raw fruit may replace the canned fruit but it must be really ripe and of dessert quality or it will not be sweet enough.
My Chocolate Pear Adaptation:
4 household tbsp brown sugar
1 household tbsp each offlourandcocoa
1 egg
generous ½ cup sour cream
halved canned pears, very well drained

Prepare as above, mixing the cocoa with the brown sugar and flour.:-))

katienz11, Aug 22, 7:20pm
I made a coconut and sour cream cake that was really nice.I havent got the recipe on me as it was a recipe in a library book but if anyone really, really wants it, I could get the book again.

theanimal1, Aug 21, 11:18pm
American Style Coffee Cake

For the crumble topping:
45g plain flour
45g walnuts , finely chopped (I used almonds)
60g brown sugar
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
125g raspberries - or diced plums if preferred (really you could use any kind of soft fruit and I'm sure it would work)

For the cake:
150g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
150g soured cream or thick Greek yoghurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
110g caster sugar
1 large egg

Method
Method:
1. Make the topping. Place the flour, chopped walnuts, Muscovado sugar, cinnamon and salt into bowl. Add melted butter and mix until crumbly. Leave to firm up in the fridge.

2. Set the oven to 180°C/gas4. Lightly grease and base line a 23cm cake tin with baking parchment. To make the cake, melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat.

3. Put the flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt into a large bowl. Stir in the Greek yoghurt, vanilla extract, caster sugar and egg.

4. Add the melted butter and beat the mixture until smooth.

5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and scatter over the raspberries.

6. Remove the topping mixture from the fridge, break into crumbly pieces and sprinkle over the raspberries.

7. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

8. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.

9. Cut into slices and serve.

245sam, Aug 21, 11:28pm
How about chocolate or banana cake!

"Sour cream chocolate cake
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups sour cream
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
dash of cinnamon
1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup water

Beat eggs and sugar together until light; add sour cream and dry ingredients. Dissolve cocoa in warm water and add to batter.
Pour into 3 greased 9-inch layer pans.
Bake at 350°F until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean (about 25-30 minutes). Posted by toolband1

Jo Seagers Big Choc Birthday Cake
For the cake
3c sugar
3c flour
3tsp b powder
3tsp b soda
3 eggs
1.5c sour cream
3/4c cocoa
1.5c strong coffee (can be instant)
2tsp vanilla essence

For the glaze
200g dark chocolate
50g butter
1TBS golden syrup

Oven @ 180C
Spray a 28-30cm springform tin with baking spray,and line the base with baking paper.
Place all the cake ingreds in food processor or large mixing bowl and mix well.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 70 -75 mins.
Cool on a wire rack.

Melt the dark chocolate,butter and golden syrup together and mix til smooth.Carefully level the top of the cake with a sharp knife,then spread with the chocolate glaze.

Quotewinnie231 (106 )7:07 pm, Fri 17 Sep #2"

“Banana and sour cream cake
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1 cup mashed banana, plus 2 to slice for the filling
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
Whipped cream
Icing sugar
1 Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line the cake tin.
2 Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time then add the banana and fold through.
3 Mix the vanilla, sour cream and baking soda together then add to the banana mixture. Stir in the ground almonds.
4 Sift the flour and cinnamon then add. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5 When the cake is cool, slice in half and spread with whipped cream and sliced bananas. Dust the top layer liberally with icing sugar.

Quotepam.delilah (572 )7:42 am, Wed 24 Nov #4”

or….
Does a Sour Cream Pie appeal! I have Alison Holst's recipes for Sour Cream Onion Pie, Sour Cream Fruit Pie (can be made with e.g. apricots, peaches, pears), Sour Cream Raisin Pie (has a spicy fruit filling and is raisin by name but actually uses sultanas).:-))

245sam, Aug 22, 5:30am
Sure wildflower, here you are.

Alison Holst's SOUR CREAM FRUIT PIE
For 4-6 servings.
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 egg
½ cup sour cream
halved canned peaches, apricots, pears, very well drained

In a small bowl mix the brown sugar and flour.Add the egg and sour cream, and beat with a fork or rotary beater until the mixture is free from lumps.
Arrange the fruit pieces, cut-side down, on the uncooked pie shell.Pour the egg and cream mixture around the fruit.
Bake at 220°C (425°F) for 10 minutes, then at 180°C (350°F) for 15 minutes, or until the filling has set.
Serve hot, warm or cold.
Note:When this pie comes out of the oven, it may be puffy in the middle.It will fall as it cools.It is best to make this pie a couple of hours or less before serving it, because the fruit and custard shrink away from each other on standing, leaving gaps.Raw fruit may replace the canned fruit but it must be really ripe and of dessert quality or it will not be sweet enough.
My Chocolate Pear Adaptation:
4 household tbsp brown sugar
1 household tbsp each offlourandcocoa
1 egg
generous ½ cup sour cream
halved canned pears, very well drained

Prepare as above, mixing the cocoa with the brown sugar and flour.:-))

bev00, Aug 22, 9:10am
recycling .

dixiechicks, Aug 22, 9:51am
Have you seen the thread for the New World Lemon Cake

245sam, Aug 22, 10:00am
dixiechicks, note that this is a 'recycled"/bumped thread that has beensaved (only just) from extinction.:-))