Ginger slice/crunch recipe thats really thick and

pamellie, Jun 24, 11:21pm
Try the edmonds one again and double the base and quadruple the topping. You will need to cook in a deep dish but about the size of a swiss roll tin.

matuq, Jun 25, 12:39am
Edmonds Ginger Crunch.I like that one the best but then I like "crunchy" and not "chewy".I made it last week (yet again) but will be doubling the recipe next time.I'm going to make some today and freeze it (just the base) and then I'll ice it on Thursday (doubling the icing mixture as well) and so I'm keen to see how it turns out after freezing and thawing.

I also made Melting Moments and put in the freezer as well because they freeze well.Some I filled with Raspberry jam and some with Lemon icing (just icing sugr and lemon juice).All came out of the freezer really edible.

taurus2005, Jun 25, 1:01am
I have seen it where they use wholemeal flour for the base, and is topped with chopped pistachios.Nice.

sarahb5, Jun 25, 1:12am
I like the Takaka oaty one best - partly because it only has ingredients in it which I normally have in the pantry and it's so easy to make as well although I did have to increase the amount of ginger in the base so it tasted properly gingery

scannell2, Aug 18, 1:14am
yummy! does anyone have a great recipe that will make a really nice thick slice with thick icing like you get in the shops! have thought about doubling the recipe, i normally use the edmonds one but it never seems to turn out like the shop ones, icing is always too runny, base is normally hard and crunchy not soft and yummy. i have heard of people putting crystalised ginger in the base but not sure on that one even though they taste yummy my recipe does not have that in it. cheers in advance

lx4000, Aug 18, 1:48am
TAKAKA OATY GINGER CRUNCH from The Wholemeal Cafe, Takaka, Golden Bay

Melt:
150 gm butter
2 Tablespoons golden syrup (try to be precise - hold the spoon in boiling water before measuring golden syrup)
3/4 cup brown sugar

Mix together:
3/4 cup coconut
1 & 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
1& 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1& 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

Combine wet & dry mixes

Press into 20 x 20 cm pan

Bake 180* C for 25 minutes

When cool, ice with:
4 Tbsp butter
8 Tbsp icing sugar
4 teaspoons golden syrup
2 teaspoons ground ginger
Heat, melt, beat and pour hot icing over cool base

Quoteelliehen (3485 )

lx4000, Aug 18, 1:50am
Wholemeal Ginger Crunch
1c slivered almonds
1/2c hazelnuts, chopped
2 c plain flour
1c wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground ginger
300g butter
1 1/2 c brown sugar
toasted pistachio nuts
Toast the almonds and hazelnuts in oven @ 180C for about 10 minutes. Sift the flour, baking powder and ginger together. In another bowl cream the butter and sugar. Mix in the sifted dry ingredients, then the cooled almonds and hazelnuts. Press into a greased tin and bake @180C for 15 minutes or until cooked.

Icing
125g butter
200g golden syrup
3 tsp ground ginger
3 c icing sugar

Melt the butter and golden syrup in a pot. stir in the ginger and icing sugar and mix until smooth. While the base is still hot spread the topping over, Garnish with chopped toasted pistachio nuts.

Quotebeewee

cgvl, Aug 18, 2:04am
I make the edmonds one. But double the base mix and double then double again the topping. Also let the base get cold before you put the icing on otherwise the icing melts into the base. I cut the base too before icing makes it easier to handle (cut while still warm/hot).

lisapisa2, Aug 18, 2:14am
That oaty ginger crunch is gooooooooood!

jessie981, Aug 18, 5:02am
i'm the opposite, the crunchier the bottom the nicer & icing not too thick.

brajama, Aug 18, 6:13am
Takaka Oaty one as quoted by Poster 2 is yum.Just made it earlier this week, as I had saved the recipe from an earlier posting. Can recommend it as one of the best.

gardie, Aug 18, 7:22pm
Edmonds cook book - double the topping.Umm - one of my favourites.Will have to try the Takaka one - have seen it many times but not quite got round to making it.

kaysu, Aug 18, 7:52pm
Yes Edmonds for me. Tried the above & didn't like as it wasn't crunchy enough.

jessie981, Aug 19, 5:02am
i'm the opposite, the crunchier the bottom the nicer & icing not too thick.

kaysu, Aug 19, 7:52pm
Yes Edmonds for me. Tried the above & didn't like as it wasn't crunchy enough.