Easy saus recipe for the kids to make.

korbo, Aug 15, 11:41pm
My mum used to make this regularly for us in the 60's.

6-8 pre browned sausages or however you need.
1.1/2 cups flour, mixed with 2 packets of cuppasoup.any flavour
1.1/2 cups milk.mix together till a nice runny batter.
LEAVE TO STAND 5 MINS.
well grease an oblong dish, put saus in, then pour over batter. sprinkle cheese if u like.
bake 180 20-25mins.

love digging around in my grans and mums old recipe books for things to remind me of them.

sarahb5, Aug 16, 11:22pm
Its called Toad in the Hole - we are having it for dinner tomorrow.You need to pour the batter into a hot pan though.

korbo, Aug 16, 11:41pm
My mum used to make this regularly for us in the 60's.

6-8 pre browned sausages or however you need.
1.1/2 cups flour, mixed with 2 packets of cuppasoup.any flavour
1.1/2 cups milk.mix together till a nice runny batter.
LEAVE TO STAND 5 MINS.
well grease an oblong dish, put saus in, then pour over batter. sprinkle cheese if u like.
bake 180 20-25mins.

love digging around in my grans and mums old recipe books for things to remind me of them.

korbo, Aug 17, 12:23am
sarahb, is your recipe the same.!
I dont recall my mum heating up a dish, she just used a casserole dish, but greased it well. let us know please.

sarahb5, Aug 17, 2:05am
Same recipe - you heat the dish/tin by cooking the sausages in it first (at 220) until the fat runs out and sausages start to brown.Then you pour the batter into the hot fat, return to the oven and turn the heat down to 180.If the pan isn't hot the batter doesn't rise.

Oh hang on I didn't see the cuppasoup in your recipe - never done that - my kids love it just as it is, plain "yorkshire pudding" batter and sausages.They smother theirs in ketchup of course, hubby and I have onion gravy, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes with ours.

mazzy1, Aug 17, 3:38am
I can't imagine anything kids would like more than squeezing sausage meatballs out of the casing, frying them in olive oil and tossing them in some home-made tomato sauce with spaghetti :D

sarahb5, Aug 17, 4:10am
Why not just make meatballs with sausagemeat instead!

(My kids hate meatballs for some reason)

mazzy1, Aug 17, 4:14am
It's the squeezing out the sausage meat part they like. My little nephews used to laugh their heads off. Sounds like it won't work for your kids though.

lythande1, Aug 17, 4:51am
Stuffed sausies! Boil and mash spuds. Cook sausies. Cut sausies half way through lengthwise, fill with mash, add a bit of tomato and cheese on top. Grill to melt cheese.

sarahb5, Aug 18, 12:05am
Wouldn't work for me either - sounds gross and pointless .

mazzy1, Aug 18, 1:08am
Um - possibly because you aren't 5 years old. duh

sarahb5, Aug 18, 2:05am
Same recipe - you heat the dish/tin by cooking the sausages in it first (at 220) until the fat runs out and sausages start to brown.Then you pour the batter into the hot fat, return to the oven and turn the heat down to 180.If the pan isn't hot the batter doesn't rise.

Oh hang on I didn't see the cuppasoup in your recipe - never done that - my kids love it just as it is, plain "yorkshire pudding" batter and sausages.They smother theirs in ketchup of course, hubby and I have onion gravy, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes with ours.

mazzy1, Aug 18, 3:38am
I can't imagine anything kids would like more than squeezing sausage meatballs out of the casing, frying them in olive oil and tossing them in some home-made tomato sauce with spaghetti :D

mazzy1, Aug 18, 4:14am
It's the squeezing out the sausage meat part they like. My little nephews used to laugh their heads off. Sounds like it won't work for your kids though.

sarahb5, Aug 19, 12:05am
Wouldn't work for me either - sounds gross and pointless .

mazzy1, Aug 19, 1:08am
Um - possibly because you aren't 5 years old. duh