Expert bakers of ginger gems TIA

510, Mar 21, 6:20pm
I need some urgent help I am about to make ginger gems but all the recipes that I can find have golden syrup in them but I don't have any, can I replace it with honey.
1)The plain gem recipe has honey should I follow that & just add the ginger
2) As I don't have creme of tartar I will just omitt the creme of tarta & the bkg soda & use bkg pdr instead which is both combined. (? 0 right)

I have googled it etc as well
Thanks for your help as the oven is on & I don't fancy rushing up to the supermarket

cookessentials, Mar 21, 6:34pm
You will find that you need the soda and cream of tartar - these add a lightness to the gems that i dont think you will get from baking powder. I have two recipes, one has baking powder, but also baking soda and still the golden syrup. The second one I have has just soda, but both have golden syrup.

510, Mar 21, 7:02pm
Thanks Pam, I was hoping you would be around. have put i the first batch but I am not that hopeful. I am nervous as I am taking them to a family function and the host is a fablulous baker & has produced books on baking. Knowing my luck they will turn out like rubber. I couldn't find her book with the recipe in it as I am in the process of packing. I added 1 & 1/2 tspn to the normal gem recipe with bkg pdr. That recipe only had 25 g butter. Ii will do another batchusing th recipe with bkg soda what do you think I could replace the golden syrup with.

snapit, Mar 21, 7:52pm
Have you got any treacle that would be the nearest but stronger flavour.

510, Mar 21, 7:58pm
Thanks snapit , but sadly I don't have treacle. I have made a batch but they aren't up to the standard that I like, so I won't be taking them. we will be eating them at home they are a bit pale & not as light as in texture. They are still yummy. I might make some ice tea instead. LOL Not baking , but I wanted to take something Mum used to make.

cookessentials, Mar 21, 11:57pm
If yu would like me to, I can give you the two recipes I have for next time you want to make them. Will have to wait till I get home though. Let me know if you would like me to.

510, Mar 22, 3:56pm
Thanks Pam I'd really appreciate that, just when you have got time though.

cookessentials, Apr 29, 4:48am
Here you go!
160g Golden Syrup
110g Butter
1 Cup Standard Flour
½ Cup Brown Sugar
½ t-spoon baking soda
1 tsp-spoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon ground ginger
½ t-spoon cinnamon
Pinch of mixed spice
Pinch of Nutmeg
½ Cup milk
1 Egg (lightly beaten)

Preheat the Gem irons in the oven to 180C

Melt the butter and Golden Syrup together in the microwave.

Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and work out lumps with fingers or fork.

Put milk and egg into melted butter and syrup.

Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix well.

Put a knob of butter into each gem mould and spread around.

Nearly fill each mould and bake for 20 - 25 mins.

cookessentials, May 6, 2:59am
up on this one too

unknowndisorder, Apr 4, 4:41pm
I was reading my old intermediate school recipe book and found a recipe for ginger gems.
1C flour
2t baking powder
1/2t ginger
pinch salt
3T sugar
(put into large bowl)
1/3C milk
1 egg (into metric cup)
25g butter
1T golden syrup (into enamel cup)
Method:
Heat oven & gem irons - centre position
Beat egg & milk with fork
Melt butter & syrup. Remove (which is underlined)
Stir dry ingredients. Make well in centre
Put 1/4t butter in hot irons
Add liquid, then melted butter to bowl.
Mix lightly till just wet
Put tablespoonfuls in heated, greased irons. 6 gems per pupil.
Bake @ 220C for 15 minutes.

This was obviously done by two people, as "A" person puts the butter in the hot irons while "B" person adds the liquid and melted butter in bowl.