Help .. 1960 - 1970's Edmond C/Book Edition Owners

porsh_a, Aug 2, 7:53am
Hi.Just went to make a steamed pudding (like my Mum use to make) from the Edmonds Cookbook, but can't find it in my 1992 edition.It was a fairly plain dough type recipe, and had a topping of golden syrup (possibly water) etc which formed a nice sauce over the pudding.I think Mum's cookbook would have been in the 1965 - 1973 era.The only one in my current cookbook is a "Steamed Sponge Pudding" with a Golden Syrup Pudding variety - which doesn't look the same.I'm sure Mum's didn't have jam in it!Can anyone please help?Thanks :)

kabbo, Aug 2, 8:01am
i've got a 1976 edition and have just looked and yes that recipe is in there. will type it out for you and post.

kabbo, Aug 2, 8:06am
x2
here you go.

Three Quarter Hour Pudding

1 ½ c flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp sugar
1 tbsp butter
Milk to mix

Sift flour, salt and baking powder together, add sugar. Rub in butter and mix to a soft dough with sufficient milk. Place in a greased basin.
Mix and pour the following syrup over: 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp golden syrup or honey, and 1 cup boiling water. Dissolve sugar and golden syrup in boiling water.
Do not cover basin. Stand basin in a saucepan of boiling water (water to come up half way up the side of basin). Put lid on saucepan and steam ¾ hour.

margyr, Aug 2, 8:12am
also if you google golden syrup dumplings and make them they are easy as, take about 15 mins from start to finish and are very much like the 3/4hour pud in consistancy.

porsh_a, Aug 2, 8:14am
Hey thanks guys ... you are awesome :))

** Running off to make pudding now **

kabbo, Aug 2, 8:18am
i made those once margyr after a friend recommneded them.
i dont know what i did but they were like blinking bullets!!