"Celebrity Chef fundraiser"

melinda1, Jul 29, 10:45pm
Doing fundraising for a group of students to go to Oz and wondered do you think folk would be keen on a show with a Kiwi Chef and some demo's or tips?Thinking Holst, Seager, Gofton-not sure-still thinking!Also maybe Richard Till and some sponsership from Countdown as he does their ads or noticed a new guy the other night-anybody know him?Do you think rural town NZ would be keen as cooking shows are such a hit at the moment?Was then thinking could maybe do a class session and a demo session and have food stalls and produce around the timing (say lunch) then cooking classes). What do you think anybody done anything similar, how did it go?. Students are from a College so would think cooking room would be availalble.Love to get some feedback before I broach this with our group. TIA

eternity04, Jul 30, 12:33am
It sounds like a really good idea whatever way you go. Go for the idea of cooking on a budget, alot of people want to know about that these days with the way food is priced. Im not really sure if you will get Allison Holst and Jo Seager at the same place at the same time and they might charge an appearance fee, or at least there travel and accommodation payed for.. If you have any Restaurants or Hotels near where you live, go and ask if they would help out with a cooking demo. See if there are any cake decorators around that might like to give a demo on icing cakes etc. Make sure that with all the demos there are flyers that people can pick up and take home with them. What about someone giving a demo on how to grow there own veges, herbs etc without having a garden or very little space. Best of luck with whatever you decide
Jan...

melinda1, Jul 30, 3:43am
Thanks eternity04.Was only thinking of trying to get one - still really thinking it through but as you have said could include other demos's by local folk and produce maybe?

duckmoon, Jul 30, 5:30am
Sophie Gray does fundraising demos...

You would need to know what their appearance fee is - and what they require you to provide (equipment, ingredients, volunteers to staff the evening).

My friend did an event with Alison Holst (about 15 years ago), she gave them a list of stuff and staff required, and then turned up in the afternoon - she had done it dozens of times before - so knew the process required.

Also friend commented that she only did XXX number of demos per year (think it might have been three or five, can't remember)

melinda1, Jul 30, 7:20am
Thanks Duckmoon.I took my now 28 yr old son to an Alison Holst fundraiser when he was about 11 or 12 and he absolutely loved it and made lots of treats for weeks after and he is a big brawly Farmer now!Just trying to look for someting abit different for the group to try for a fundraiser!

elliehen, Jul 30, 9:20am
I notice that Allyson Gofton has a new book out, called 'Country Calendar Cooking'.

Why not approach the publisher and have the price of admission to a cooking demo by Allyson the purchase of her new cookbook?A bookshop might come on board too.I've been to book talks where the entry requirement was purchase of the book.

melinda1, Aug 2, 7:14am
Bumping for any other thoughts or input. Anybody been to anything recently?

aktow, Aug 2, 6:08pm
good luck if you can get the numbers to make a profit ,but every one i know ,is so sick of all the cooking shows,