GINGER KISSES...The old-fashioned, home-made...

Page 1 / 2
flower-child01, Mar 11, 9:42pm
I have moved my kisses recipes (and all others) to http://bramasolerecipes.wordpress.com just use the search box to find each recipe. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

olwen, Mar 11, 10:22pm
Are what we call "kisses" very similar to what Americans call whoopie-pies!

sarahj1, Mar 12, 8:15am
I was just thinking that! - whoopie pies are a soft, very dark chocolately cake consistency - almost like a firm brownie - sandwiched together with some sort of creamy frosting (cream cheese, buttervream, marshmallow creme) That's the traditional ones anyway - last time in the US I saw they are doing ALL sorts of variations (pumpkin ones for Halloween - ergh) including ginger - which takes us back to good ol' kiwi ginger kisses!

devalois, Jul 29, 1:13am
Mum used to make these a thousand years ago and bitterly disappointed with the last packet ones we bought....try as I might my extensive recipe collection fails to provide me with the recipe. Anyone help? Mum's always ended up HUGE, and filled with a lovely light creamy stuff.....much appreciate any help, here....devalois

pam.delilah, Jul 29, 2:26am
the best, very , very nice
Ginger kisses (from Ladies, a Plate: Traditional Home Baking)
125g flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
115g butter, softened
85g caster sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
2 tsp golden syrup, warmed slightly
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp hot water
Filling:
30g butter
120g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp boiling water
1 Tbsp preserved ginger, finely chopped

Heat oven to 180deg. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and spices.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg, followed by the golden syrup.
Fold in the sifted dry ingredients.
Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and add to the mix.
Put small teaspoonfuls of the mixture on the trays.
Bake for about 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.

Finishing:
Make the filling by beating the butter, icing sugar and vanilla together with an electric beater, then adding the boiling water a little at a time.
Continue beating until the mixture is very light and creamy.
Fold in the preserved ginger.
Pair up the ginger kisses, matching sizes, then put a small teaspoon of filling on each lower half and stick them together

juliewn, Jul 29, 2:50pm
Oh Yum!!! Pam.. they sound delicious :-)

devalois, Jul 30, 1:13am
Mum used to make these a thousand years ago and bitterly disappointed with the last packet ones we bought.try as I might my extensive recipe collection fails to provide me with the recipe. Anyone help! Mum's always ended up HUGE, and filled with a lovely light creamy stuff.much appreciate any help, here.devalois

wildflower, Jul 30, 3:06am
Thanks for that as have been thinking about giving them a go but didn't have the "proper" pans for them, oven trays sound good!

flower-child01, Jul 30, 12:42pm
For the deliciously soft ones http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/ginger-kisses/ - they are hit in our house. The recipe has been adapted to get the right texture, and yes it is a tablespoon of ginger. They are just like the Ernie Adams ones I remember as a kid.

d.j.hawken, Jul 30, 1:12pm
u need the irons for baking them in

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:50pm
Oh Yum! Pam. they sound delicious :-)

sue1955, Jul 30, 7:59pm
Isn't that just for Ginger Gems (gem irons)? I seem to remember that from cooking at school in the 1960's.

greerg, Jul 30, 10:57pm
Yes gems in gem irons, ginger kisses are round and flattish.The recipe in Ladies a Plate is really good.In fact I have both of those books and the recipes are all very good.I have replaced quite a few of my own tried and true recipes after finding that the ones in there are better.

wildflower, Jul 31, 3:06am
Thanks for that as have been thinking about giving them a go but didn't have the "proper" pans for them, oven trays sound good!

wildflower, Jul 31, 3:48am
I checked Allyson Gofton's Bake book, hers are just cooked on an oven tray too.

elliehen, Jul 31, 4:39am
Interesting foodie website.Do you know who/what 'bramasole' is?

davidt4, Jul 31, 4:50am
From the web site:

"Bramasole is a communal site created for family, to share recipes and info. The name Bramasole is derived from the Italian words 'bramare' - to yearn for; and 'sole' - sun. So to that the meaning of Bramasole is "To yearn for the sun".

It is appropriate for me personally as I look to the sun, drawing energy for my physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing. It has enabled me to always look forward, no matter what life holds and has been.

The inspiration for the name came from the name of a villa in Tuscany, Italy that proved to be restorative to author Frances Mayes - who in finding her inner strength, and self confidence, inspired me long ago to do so as well. "

sue1955, Jul 31, 7:59pm
Isn't that just for Ginger Gems (gem irons)! I seem to remember that from cooking at school in the 1960's.

wildflower, Aug 1, 3:48am
I checked Allyson Gofton's Bake book, hers are just cooked on an oven tray too.

elliehen, Aug 1, 4:39am
Interesting foodie website.Do you know who/what 'bramasole' is!

davidt4, Aug 1, 4:50am
From the web site:

"Bramasole is a communal site created for family, to share recipes and info. The name Bramasole is derived from the Italian words 'bramare' - to yearn for; and 'sole' - sun. So to that the meaning of Bramasole is "To yearn for the sun".

It is appropriate for me personally as I look to the sun, drawing energy for my physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing. It has enabled me to always look forward, no matter what life holds and has been.

The inspiration for the name came from the name of a villa in Tuscany, Italy that proved to be restorative to author Frances Mayes - who in finding her inner strength, and self confidence, inspired me long ago to do so as well. "

jaxma, Aug 12, 8:47am
I made the ones at #5 today - PERFECT!Although I put way less water in the mock cream and added quite a lot more icing sugar (gradually to make it thickened).

flower-child01, Aug 12, 10:47am
jaxma, glad you liked them. I also have xmas ones, and chocolate ones. All delish. With the filling, each day it comes out different so is adapted each time.

wildflower, Aug 13, 4:06am
I'm going to try that one too, sounds nice, thanks for the tips.

flower-child01 could you please post the recipe for the chocolate ones!

elliehen, Aug 13, 5:09am
Maple/walnut is a tasty combination.