Help - burnt pot!!

nik12, May 6, 1:00am
My daughter burned the savaloys the other night (forgot to put the water in!). I've got most of the burnt sav off, but the actual metal is still quite black in places. what do you think would be best to try first!
Of do you think I can still use the pot like that!Perhaps I should cook a few spuds in it and see if they come out tasting burnt.

gildon, Jul 28, 6:25am
I was making kiwifruit jam today and left it unattended for awhile and, of course, it caught on the bottom.In fact it REALLY burnt quite badly.I managed to rescue most of the jam and it has really turned out quite good but the enamel stock pot that I was making it in is another story.Does anyone have a magic recipe for getting burnt-on jam etc off the bottom of an enamel stockpot.I have already stood and scrubbed at it with the Goldilocks for longer than I care to tell!!

gamma71, Jul 28, 6:35am
what works really good is dishwasher powder for the dishwasher machine, fill pan with boiling water then add the powderleave definetly overnight to soak and it's like magic

gildon, Jul 28, 6:44am
Thank you for that gamma71.I am off to give it a try.

jag5, Jul 28, 6:48am
Baking soda too....boil up gently with BS, then leave to sit even for a few days.Some also say if you bury your pot in the garden...that will remove it.

What I do to stop jams, pickles, sauces etc sticking is place 3-4 marbles in the pan while boiling your mixture.Don't know how it works, but it does....magic.

lindi4, Jul 28, 6:54am
Heat some vinegar then throw in some backing soda, let it fizz and leave to sit or boil onion skins and leave to sit.

jennyperry, Jul 28, 10:33am
boil with bakeing soda and some lemon bits in it, boil for a good 15 to 20 min then empty out and put cold water in and leave overnight and scrub outcan chip it out if still stuck dont worry if it scratches a little bit you can just use a scotch pad to buff it out
note: if it is a cheap pan it may buckle but if it is heavy based it will be fine

whitehead., Jul 29, 5:28am
baking soda and put it out side in the sun it will peel off after a few days .my mother in law used to put her burnt pots in the chook run for the chooks to peck to get them cleanit never killed us but i use dto wash all the pots before i used them at her place

r-mvz, Jul 29, 5:35am
Soak it in very salty water overnight.

gildon, Jul 29, 6:25am
I was making kiwifruit jam today and left it unattended for awhile and, of course, it caught on the bottom.In fact it REALLY burnt quite badly.I managed to rescue most of the jam and it has really turned out quite good but the enamel stock pot that I was making it in is another story.Does anyone have a magic recipe for getting burnt-on jam etc off the bottom of an enamel stockpot.I have already stood and scrubbed at it with the Goldilocks for longer than I care to tell!

wasgonna, Jul 29, 6:30am
Oven cleaner?

gamma71, Jul 29, 6:35am
what works really good is dishwasher powder for the dishwasher machine, fill pan with boiling water then add the powderleave definetly overnight to soak and it's like magic

jag5, Jul 29, 6:48am
Baking soda too.boil up gently with BS, then leave to sit even for a few days.Some also say if you bury your pot in the garden.that will remove it.

What I do to stop jams, pickles, sauces etc sticking is place 3-4 marbles in the pan while boiling your mixture.Don't know how it works, but it does.magic.

ferita, Jul 29, 8:44am
Caustic soda

alebix, Jul 29, 8:51am
Bring the pot with it full of water to the boil, this helps remove any burnt on stuff, then use baking soda to get of any other bits.

rusty-bones, Jul 29, 9:21am
Spray it with oven cleaner, leave overnight then wash of.

wasgonna, Jul 30, 6:30am
Oven cleaner!

cottagerose, Aug 3, 6:40am
A 70 year old told me today his mother used to do this,using big marbles

cutezie, Aug 3, 8:37am
I bury mine in the garden and buy another one

bunny51, Aug 3, 9:22am
I put baking soda and vinegar in mune and just leave to soak

mwood, Aug 3, 11:33am
yes this stops surge boiling (volcanic!) by evenly distributing the heat into multiple smaller boiling spots - also used in distilling.

gildon, Aug 4, 5:42am
Thank you all for your replies.Tried baking soda, dishwashing powder and finally sprayed with Mr Muscle oven cleaner, left for 24 hours then had a good scrub with Goldilocks and it all finally came clean.All the various methods I am sure work to some extent, this one was REALLY burnt.although it is now free of burn, I think I may have to buy another stockpot as in my exerience once they have burnt like that, they catch easily with just about everything else.