Heat & Eat Meals

kabbo, Jul 20, 7:40am
in your experience, which ones are good and which ones are yucky/crap.

i have these from time to time when I'm too busy/slack to cook.

veejay13, Jul 20, 8:14am
In my experience all the "bought" ones are yucky/crap.I now make my own - the time-consuming bit is the meat which I cook heaps of on a slack day and cover with gravy or sauce to keep it moist in the freezer.

I sometimes put rice in too, flavoured with a bit of lemon juice, mushrooms, and chicken stock.......then I don't have to worry about peeling spuds, and a few frozen greens cooked up just prior to the meal completes the meal.

But then I'm cooking for only one, and if you're cooking for a family it might be a big hassle.

kabbo, Jul 20, 8:53am
cheers Veejay.......i'm only cooking for one as well.

norse_westie, Jul 20, 10:16am
Actually I really like the weight watchers ones. Good size and very tasty. Very popular with nightshift workers, and even better when Pak n Save has them on special.

nzhel, Jul 21, 1:22am
Some of the red box McCains meals - the bigger sized boxes are very nice.
The Chicken Parma, Lamb Chop (when you can get it) etc are very tasty. Wouldn't eat all the time and expensive for a family. Watch for them on special.

cgvl, Jul 21, 3:45am
I like the beef and noodle one but find it needs a few more vegies, which I add before heating. Think its the blue McCains box. The sweet and sour one is nice too.
I don't like the Dinner meals eg beef roast, find the potato is horrible.
I tried them all when I was living on my own and working full-time and those 2 were the nicest ones I can remember.

winnie231, Jul 21, 4:29am
I'm on my own 2 & have days when I don't want to cook ... but I have homemade heat & eat dinners at the ready.
I've just cooked mince chowmein & from this I have 6 portions. At a total costing of $12 (and yes this is accurate - I'm an ex-cafe manager) that's $2 per meal. Much nicer tasting than the pre-made versions I've tried & cheaper too!
I buy 3x plastic storage containers from the $2 shop for ... $2 ... and freeze meal-size portions in these. Easy to get one out in the morning & tip into a frypan for a moment or zap if I've forgotten!
Just the same with casserole, curry, lasagna, chilli, soup, .... believe me - the commercial versions NEVER look like the picture on the box!

nelrow, Jul 23, 1:53am
Why is it they look so yummy in the pictures on the box but look nothing like it when you go to eat it!!!!!

ruby19, Jul 23, 2:13am
I must admit I buy the pre made ravioli,but do make my own pasta sauce.

motorbo, Jul 23, 6:01am
whilst some may be tasty i saw a thing on tv on them once and they are so so bad for you, but its so so easy to make extra and freeze

maycey, Jul 23, 6:10am
I've found the best to be Watties meal sensations? I think thats what they are called. They look as they should and are loaded with veges. Well that was the one I ha. It was a beef strog. That was about a year or so ago. Never really touch MV dinners most of the time they are too expensive and lacking in veges.. For something quick I usually have noodles and veges.

chrisandco, Jul 23, 7:03am
Woolworths did a 'Hungry' range & the salmon & asparagus one or chicken & tomato in the snack size were OK for a fast tea.I used to quite often make up a big batch of pasta & freeze it into meal sized portions tho & that was much nicer cos it was full of everything I liked. (& cheaper)