Meals to feed 11 people please....

freds69, Jul 12, 10:13am
Please help me!!! I will have a houseful of 11 people to feed this weekend. All adults apart from 2 young children. I would love some suggestions of easy/quick to prepare meals that arent to expensive. My budget is not great this week. TIA

suie1, Jul 12, 10:28am
Soup, Homemade Pizza, Burgers, (Cowboy Casserole Sophie Gray recipe) http://www.destitutegourmet.com/index.php here is a link to her website she is famous for cheap but tasty family cooking. Stirfrys make a little meat go a long way just add plenty of veg.

patsy3, Jul 12, 10:32am
Make a large pot of vege and bacon hock soup for lunch. Got a bread maker, makes for more filling bread. Roast is good. 3 chooks, heaps of vege's go a long way, any meat left over for sandwiches. 1kg block of cheese, ham, toasted sandwiches for lunch. Soft tacos: large mince with beans cooked and tortilla wraps (just don't buy tomatoes at the moment!!) folks build their own wraps, with lettuce, grated cheese, carrots etc.
Boil-up!

freds69, Jul 12, 10:35am
Thanks heaps for the great ideas. Will have to take a trip to the supermarket tomorrow I think.

suie1, Jul 12, 10:38am
Also don't need a breadmaker, you can easily make a couple of loaves by hand without to much kneading. You can use the microwave to speed up the raising process.

freds69, Jul 12, 10:43am
Thanks suie1. I have a breadmaker but its been a dud since the day I brought it! I am happy to make some bread by hand though.

deus701, Jul 12, 12:00pm
I went to a bday party on a budget, they had finger food like spring rolls, wontons, mini sausage rolls, fruit sticks & chicken nibbles.

I hosted a dinner recently and made curry (curry is cheap..basic things like potatoes, onions, carrots & rice are cheap)

genpat, Jul 12, 6:35pm
Some good ideas on here,Pumpkin soup is cheap and usually very popular,dress it up with a swirl of cream and some chopped parsley as you serve it.Crumbles are always welcome,make a huge one,I sometimes fill out the fruit with some large tins of drained peaches,but any apples,pears will work as the base.Brown sugar and cinnamon on the top of the crumble.The curry sounds good.Pasta bakes,lots of fresh bread,mainly things that are plentiful,warming and easy for you so you can enjoy yourself too.Good luck.

freds69, Jul 12, 9:14pm
Thanks heaps for the ideas, I really appreciate it. Off to do some shopping now.

norse_westie, Jul 12, 9:46pm
Lasagna, green salad and crusty bread - very tasty, filling and you can make one big enough to use your oven roasting dish (I have to use mine every time and there is usually little left for the next day).

blt10, Jul 12, 10:14pm
Quiche is cheaper to make than bacon & egg pie. If you can, finish with warm hearty desserts of rice pudd and choc self sauce pudding etc.

asue, Jul 12, 10:36pm
Big pot of soup, scones, savoury, plain or sweet; Toasties.Big Pot of chow mein add extra veg, noodles to go further. Get to supermarket early next couple of days and see if you can get sum discount meat or bakery items.Freeze til weekend.

andrea09, Jul 13, 2:18am
pumpkins are cheap-make a big batch of soup!

kinna54, Jul 13, 5:13am
Lasagnas, macaroni cheese,pasta and potato bakes, huge pot of chicken chow mein, large Bacon&egg pie, corned beef is usually reasonably cheap, shepherds pie,fish pie, lge pot of curried sausages or a large crockpot sausage casserole served with plenty of mashed spuds, Large pot of soup.
These are the kind of meals that our sports club serves up in bulk when catering for away teams. Lots of crusty bread on the side.

pickles7, Jul 14, 12:35am
great ideas....kinna54....
When you are catering for family weekends etc, The less work for the cook at serving time, the better. Dishes that can be made up and reheated in large dishes to serve are ideal. The kitchen can all be clear by serving time lessening clutter at plating up. I would serve a cup of soup first, a dish of oven toasted crusts and fingers of bread, pre done,, a main meal, then a dessert, ice cream and cold jelly, trifle, fruit cobbler, self saucing puddings. A cake is handy here as well. If not eaten then it will get used up at supper time, or the next day.

talent.scout, Jul 14, 8:23am
Curried sausages on rice, is really cheap and filling for a lot of tums.If you buy the reduced whole loaves, make them into garlic bread to go with any of your dinners, as a filler.Huge pasta salads.... umm.. stews or curries with diced potatoes to help fill it out... serve with rice - cheap as!

Cook your favorite mince dish, and pour oven an oven dish full of pasta.... sprinkle with grated cheese, and brown under the grill.Serve with a basic salad and garlic bread.

Gravy sausages, mashed potato and veg.

shuzbut, Jul 15, 1:51am
Go Pot Luck tell each person to bring along 1 item of food and have a great time, much cheaper that way. cheers..