Any good recipes for fussy children?

ilovemybabys, Jun 9, 10:08pm
I am looking for good easy recipes for my daughter 5 and son 3 that is healthy, easy, dosnt cost too much and fulling. guess im asking for a mirrical aye lol, Thankyou :)

lythande1, Jun 9, 10:22pm
Hungry children are not fussy.

noangelliveshea, Jun 9, 10:32pm
Heres some recipes for common meals iv added to, my 14mth old and partner love it.
Spaghetti bolognase, make as usual and add a heap of grated veges kumara,pumpkin,carrott etc... you can hardly tell theres veges in it!

Mild curried chicken pasta.
Left over roast chicken (or any chicken youv got)
Cooked pasta (i use spirals, Mr 14m likes the shapes)
Fry a little bit of garlic, a Tsp curry powder and an onion.
Make a white or cheese sauce and add everything else to it.

Both are cheap and easy.

wasgonna, Jun 9, 10:53pm
Agree with #2. They're only fussy because they've obviously had choice before. Discipline and hunger cures all.

ange164, Jun 9, 10:57pm
ask in parenting. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas.

fee1965, Jun 12, 7:19am
google Nigella's roast chicken tagliatele, it is serioulsy amazing!

r-mvz, Jun 12, 10:27am
When our kids were young I used to make Pork Spare Ribs and I always called them "Elephant Bones"our two ate them and loved them even if fussy the rest of the time... even now we still call them Elephant bones...
So I suppose if its fun and interesting it helps

nzl99, Jun 12, 10:46pm
OK, my kids and many of my other friends kids, don't/didn't seem to like stews or casseroles, or stirfries etc where the food is all mixed together. They do seem to like seperate bits which they can pick up.

If they like mashed taties... there is a few things you can do there. Add in some bacon, tuna, chicken or egg, finely grate in some carrot or corgette... form into little cakes, bread crumb and fry off.

Mini meatballs... things on sticks (any kebabs)... wraps... frozen peas... raw carrot sticks with something to dip in (cottage cheese or cheese sauce)... cherry tomatoes... mini burgers (use low fat meat, grate in some veges, form patties, put on whole meal buns... add salad or beetroot, low fat cheese etc)... Pita pizzas... use wholemeal pitas... have vege toppings ready for them and get them to design their own...

karlachikkidy, Jun 12, 11:00pm
How about they eat what they are given or they go hungry.If they are fussy its your fault, dont let it carry on any longer than it needs to.Deal to it while they are still young.

pheebs1, Jun 13, 12:42am
im not sure she was asking for judgement so much as recipes people!
gratedor proccessed veges hidden in food are the way to go for starters till they get used to it
i make my own pies lasagnesburger patties all iwth grated veges in so i know they are getting nutrition without the drama just cook them lower longer so that the vege dissapears
my little people love my mince pies
really good mince fried off with very finely processed or grated carrot onion mushroom courgette and sometimes a little pumpking top up with beef stock or a little gravy and cook on a simmer til reduced and thickened . cool and put into a dish lined wiith pastry or i make little miniature pies, sheets of pastry dollop of mince fold over and seal bake 180 yum!

what sorts of foods do they eat currently ? let us know so we can give you ideas based on what you eat already

my kids are loving homeade chicken and vege soup the dont eat alot of the vegr but love dipping there bread and its a start on the raod to enjoying the tastes

home made pizza? make your own sauces for the base. reduce on a simmer a can of tomatoes(cheap as) with a few tablespoons sugar till thickened, stir often
get the kids to assemble there own toppings?
make your own base using a simple bread dough base or buy bases
hamburgers?
make your own patties and grate veges in and then get them to assemble with salad veges in the bunmake home made wedges?

fifie, Jun 13, 1:14am
I'm with #10 on this one, can understand how this mum is feeling have a 10yr old grandeewas so fussy, it nearly drove me insane some times. She was bought up in oz on good food till 5 yrs ago but now she dosen't like all the kiwi foodsince coming back here,but still has to be fed, so this is how we get round it and shes starting to out grow it Yah..
Loves chicken so we make chicken noodle soup with hidden vegs in, she won't look at any other kind but loves this one.
Butter chicken another fav, so we make plenty and freeze some for her meals on days family has other things.
Roast Chicken,Weiner snitzel ,and steak she loves, so thats on the menu a bit. Cooked vegs she won't look at, so she gets raw carrots etc that she likes with dinners.
Now she will eat a little of casseroles with mashed potatoes, and rice is slowly branching out trying new foods, i let her help me prepare meals so she see's what goes in them now shes olderand thats helping but the biggie i find is no grazingafter school or weekends, shes allowed a snack and drink piece of fruit, between meals at my place then nothing to meal times then shes usually ready to eat. Let us know #1 what they like and maybe we can come up withsome ideas for you.

t.gypsy, Jun 13, 3:13am
I'm not saying its right but if someone served you something you don't like and you were forced to eat it would you like it. I think its the same that goes with kids.

kinna54, Jun 13, 3:26am
I am lucky as my granddies will at least taste! However I once looked after 2 English kiddies, who had no idea what veges where,(were astounded to see beans on a plate, said beans come in cans (as in baked beans) had never eaten stew or soup, only meat they recognised was sausages, even pulled lettuce out of a hamburger:it was really sad. I did get one eating veges by making dip, and juliening the veges raw for him to dip in. Also made vege patties(like hash browns) but had to perservere before we got those in.
Eventually got them eating fish and drinking smoothies which was at least something! good luck! Keep perservering, often it is the texture of the food that they don't like.

ruby19, Jun 13, 4:29am
Our kids loved butter chicken, peanut butter chicken aka satay chicken to adults, with these dishes I would make sure they were mild enough by adding sour cream to the dishes, gradually over time using less and less until they ate it normally. Also to get them to start eating these dishes, we would serve them with pita pockets which they filled themselves usually be adding a bit of grated cheese as well. we did this with wraps, we would have little bowls of shredded lettuce, grated carrots, cheese, hummus meats & sauces and they made up their wraps themselves. Amazing what they will eat when they put it together.
Roast dinners were always popular, with yorkshire puddings.
Pasta & meat balls, nachos/enchiladas, lasagna