When making ginger gem, does it matter whether a

elsielaurie1, May 29, 2:59am
cast iron gem iron is used or 1 of the more modern, lighter ones? Or would a large muffin pan do the same job?Thank you.

harrislucinda, May 29, 3:06am
if nogemiron,you canuseamuffintinheatasususal

korbo, May 29, 3:09am
gee would love the most foolproof gem recipe, my neighbour and i one day had a competition to make the best, we are still trying......

fifie, May 29, 3:33am
Korbo heres Alison Holsts food processor Ginger Gem recipe, been making it for years in the old cast iron gem irons you might like to try..
Ginger Gems.
Pre heat oven to 220c, put gem irons in to heat up as well. In a food procesor put pinch salt,100gr soft butter,1 cup sugar,2 eggs, process add 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons golden syrup, 2 teaspoons ginger 2 cups flour, 11/2 teaspoons baking soda process gently. Grease hot gem irons with a littlebutter and a pastry brush, 3/4 fill gem irons pouring mixture off the side of spoon for rounded gems. Bake at 220c about 12 mins till golden and cooked.Remove from oven leave a minute or to, take out of irons and place on a cooling rack to cool. Split while just warm butter and devour...Yum!!!

cookessentials, May 29, 6:00am
We have a ginger gems thread which I shall bump up. A gem iron certainly does make a vast difference to the gem. I have tried them made in a muffin tin and they are not the same. You cannot heat the pans the same as a cast iron gem pan...you need the "sizzle" when you add the batter.

kinna54, May 29, 9:23am
exactly! totally agree. DIL has tried it, just no comparison to mine made in the cast iron.

elsielaurie1, May 30, 2:59am
cast iron gem iron is used or 1 of the more modern, lighter ones! Or would a large muffin pan do the same job!Thank you.

korbo, May 30, 3:09am
gee would love the most foolproof gem recipe, my neighbour and i one day had a competition to make the best, we are still trying.

fifie, May 30, 3:33am
Korbo heres Alison Holsts food processor Ginger Gem recipe, been making it for years in the old cast iron gem irons you might like to try.
Ginger Gems.
Pre heat oven to 220c, put gem irons in to heat up as well. In a food procesor put pinch salt,100gr soft butter,1 cup sugar,2 eggs, process add 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons golden syrup, 2 teaspoons ginger 2 cups flour, 11/2 teaspoons baking soda process gently. Grease hot gem irons with a littlebutter and a pastry brush, 3/4 fill gem irons pouring mixture off the side of spoon for rounded gems. Bake at 220c about 12 mins till golden and cooked.Remove from oven leave a minute or to, take out of irons and place on a cooling rack to cool. Split while just warm butter and devour.Yum!

cookessentials, May 30, 6:00am
We have a ginger gems thread which I shall bump up. A gem iron certainly does make a vast difference to the gem. I have tried them made in a muffin tin and they are not the same. You cannot heat the pans the same as a cast iron gem pan.you need the "sizzle" when you add the batter.