Homemade hot cross buns using breadmaker...

Page 2 / 3
camper18, Apr 3, 9:55pm
The yeast I had all the trouble with had an expiry date of 23rd July 2011 so that is why it took me so long to solve all the problems I was having.I have been making bread basicly everyday for the past 15 years in several different brands of b/makers and this is the first time I have struck such a problem. All sorted now though (I hope)and thanks again KInna 45 for your recipe's.

fifie, Apr 3, 10:07pm
Have made these this week, i have this identical recipe written down as a old Alison Holst one. In my case i am experimenting with yeast at the mo, as i got the active one instead of surebake red top i always use. They were made in my old panasonic breadmaker, on raisin dough mode, made 12-16 buns, were okay just a little heavier than my usual ones,which come out of the breadmaker book and uses the red top yeast. I'm convinced that the surebake red top yeast is the best to use,i like the milk powder and little orange rind in them to it improves the flavour.

lizab, Apr 3, 10:59pm
I make these a couple of times a week and they're lovely - definitely a tried and true recipe. Can be frozen and reheated in microwave beautifully! (haven't ever managed to make a decent cross on them for Easter though - I've tried many a time!)

Raisin Buns
Into the breadmaker pan put 1 1/2 cups tepid water, 1 tbsp (or a big splash) of oil, 3 heaped cups of plain flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 dsp white sugar, 2 tbsp milk powder (optional), 1 big tbsp cinnamon, 1 big tbsp mixed spice and 1 tbsp Surebake yeast (red lid)

Set the machine to the dough cycle. After 15 mins, add 1 heaped cup of raisins. Once the dough is ready (my machine takes 1 1/2 hours) remove and shape into 12 balls. Place in a roasting dish and leave to rise till doubled in size. Brush tops with a beaten egg and bake at 190 degrees, fan bake for 20 mins. Remove to a wire rack as soon as they come out of the oven.

juddy1, Jun 3, 9:33am
I have no milk powder...whats the equivilent in fresh milk? ..can i use fresh milk instead?
thanx

lizab, Jun 4, 3:24am
you can leave out the milk powder completely, you won't notice any difference at all :)

kiwibubbles, Apr 1, 10:24pm
what a coincidence - just trying this for my first time this morning! lol
the dough is mixing in the breadmaker as we speak. I use a recipe from Alison and Simon Holst's new bread recipe book. i'll let ya know how it turns out, in a couple of hours. Mind you' the other day i made the foccacia dough in the breadmaker (also from this recipe book) and baked in the oven. turned out delicious.

sara134, Apr 1, 10:41pm
Could you share this recipe please! :o)

korbo, Apr 2, 3:22am
please yes, share kinna's recipe.

kimkat1, Apr 2, 3:42am
Kinna 45's recipe for spiced loaf.
Here is the spice loaf. It does have a lot of ingredients, but it makes a big loaf and is yummy, especially for easter. We love it toasted as well.

Spiced loaf with dates and sultanas: 750gm loaf

1 cup plus 2 TBSPS tepid water
3 cups high grade flour
11/2 tsps all spice
11/2 tsps cinnamon
11/2 tsps salt
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP skim milk powder
1 TBSP light oil
3 tsps sure bake yeast *red cap*
3/4 cup mixed chopped dates and sultanas. (I just prefer straight sultanas)
Select basic, crust medium, or if you don't like it too crusty it can also be cooked on sweet setting, the rising time on sweet setting is longer, and the baking temp is lower which gives a softer outer crust.
*Note when adding the sultanas add in slowly in batches, about 20 mins into the kneading cycle.

found this in another thread. sounds yummy.

kimkat1, Apr 2, 8:44am
Thats what it said in another thread, i just copied and pasted it for this thread. will try some myself tomorrow

cameo36, Apr 3, 2:07am
See how you go with this recipe!

Hot Cross Buns

1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C warm water
1/2 C brown sugar
4 t surebake yeast
75g butter, barely melted
1 egg
1 t salt
4 C high grade flour
1 T mixed spice
1 T cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
1 t vanilla ess
1 C mixed fruit or currants or sultanas

Set all to DOUGH cycle (Add fruit at beep).

Shape dough into balls into sprayed pan.Leave about 1 cm between each one.

Cover with cling film and leave in warm place to double in size.

Bake at 225 degs C for 10-12 mins.

Glaze immediately with syrup of 1 T syrup, 1 T honey, 1 T water.

Tried & True they are delicious!

kinna54, Apr 3, 5:45am
Heavens what happened: I'm sorry to hear that harrislucinda. Did you make the loaf, or make it into buns and oven finish. It is usually awesome. What brand of breadmaker do you have! That is a breville recipe,on my machine it takes 3hrs 20mins, from start to completed loaf,but daughter in law has a sunbeam machine and hers comes out great like mine. Different brands and models have different raising and cooking times, that is all I can think of.
Sorry you were disappointed.

kinna54, Apr 3, 6:02am
Here is a sunbeam recipe for hot cross buns: this has the NZ measures; haven't made it myself so can't guarantee but others have said it's good:
Hot cross Buns:
4tsps yeast.
3 and 1/2 cups + 1 TBSP flour.
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
3/4 cup sultanas
1egg
2TBSPS Margarine
310 mls tepid water

Place all ingredients *in the order listed* except sultanas in the bread pan.
Select **sweet dough** cycle
Add sultanas about 15mins into the cycle
When breadmaker finishes the cycle, remove dough and knead out on a floured surface until the dough is "elastic" and springs back. Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Place close together on a baking tray, leave to rise for 30mins, then add crosses* Mix made from 80gms flour,80mls water, 3tsps sugar*
Bake for 20-25 mins until golden .
Glaze: 2TBSPS water
1 TBSP sugar
1tsp gelatine
Glaze directions: combine ingredients in a jug, microwave on med for 1-2 mins, brush over hot buns.

kinna54, Apr 3, 10:18am
Just took it out, baked in the breville on sweet, and it looks awesome. Still waiting for it to cool, but it's perfectly cooked, smells amazing, and looks light. I would be looking at the yeast (I had a bad batch a while ago, check theuse by date on the yeast maybe, a ciabatta loaf would have less rising perhaps) or only other thing I can think of is something happened in the mixing. Sounds like the chooks were well fed but I hate it when good ingredients get wasted. Hope it won't put you off more breadmaking.

suzanna, Apr 3, 11:42am
Hi there. Can you tell me please what type of b/maker you have! I really lke the sound of your recipe but I am wondering if it makes a much larger batch than mine! I have an older Panasonic and I only ever use around 2-21/2 cups of flour! Any ideas much appreciated thanks.

kinna54, Apr 3, 9:36pm
Hi suzanna. I have a Breville, and i can make up toa 1 kg loaf. I make a 750gm loaf from the spice loaf recipe I listed, but think I may also have the recipe for 500g loaf, I will look it up. The bun recipe is a *sunbeam recipe*, *fairly old*, it says it makes 12 buns, so I'd say it is a fairly large mix.
Hope that helps.
Ps. tip for everyone. Watch where you buy your yeast. Check the use by date, as I went to get a new one at P"N Save, stock on the shelf was already past the use by date.

camper18, Apr 3, 9:55pm
The yeast I had all the trouble with had an expiry date of 23rd July 2011 so that is why it took me so long to solve all the problems I was having.I have been making bread basicly everyday for the past 15 years in several different brands of b/makers and this is the first time I have struck such a problem. All sorted now though (I hope)and thanks again KInna 45 for your recipe's.

fifie, Apr 3, 10:07pm
Have made these this week, i have this identical recipe written down as a old Alison Holst one. In my case i am experimenting with yeast at the mo, as i got the active one instead of surebake red top i always use. They were made in my old panasonic breadmaker, on raisin dough mode, made 12-16 buns, were okay just a little heavier than my usual ones,which come out of the breadmaker book and uses the red top yeast. I'm convinced that the surebake red top yeast is the best to use,i like the milk powder and little orange rind in them to it improves the flavour.

lizab, Apr 3, 10:59pm
I make these a couple of times a week and they're lovely - definitely a tried and true recipe. Can be frozen and reheated in microwave beautifully! (haven't ever managed to make a decent cross on them for Easter though - I've tried many a time!)

Raisin Buns
Into the breadmaker pan put 1 1/2 cups tepid water, 1 tbsp (or a big splash) of oil, 3 heaped cups of plain flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 dsp white sugar, 2 tbsp milk powder (optional), 1 big tbsp cinnamon, 1 big tbsp mixed spice and 1 tbsp Surebake yeast (red lid)

Set the machine to the dough cycle. After 15 mins, add 1 heaped cup of raisins. Once the dough is ready (my machine takes 1 1/2 hours) remove and shape into 12 balls. Place in a roasting dish and leave to rise till doubled in size. Brush tops with a beaten egg and bake at 190 degrees, fan bake for 20 mins. Remove to a wire rack as soon as they come out of the oven.

juddy1, Jun 3, 9:33am
I have no milk powder.whats the equivilent in fresh milk! .can i use fresh milk instead!
thanx

bev00, Jun 3, 12:14pm
fruit spiced buns - gotta try these

wron, Jun 3, 12:51pm
Which recipe do you mean bev00

family007, Jun 3, 9:32pm
Making some right now, using the edmonds recipe, yummy!
As for yeast I've gone back to Edmonds yeast after one too many failures with "in date" yeast from Tasti.

family007, Jun 3, 10:27pm
Now sitting here waiting for dough to rise.smells good so far!

family007, Jun 4, 1:43am
Hot cross buns are about to get their crosses piped onto them. They look and smell so good! Almost as good as bakery ones. They are at the moment sitting on the bed in full sun, doubling in size.can't wait!