Apple and Blueberry Shortcake Pie - recipe from

patsprat, Mar 19, 9:33pm
supermarket, can't remember if it was Countdown or New World, I made it last week (with blackberries instead of blueberries) and the pastry was just delicious, very short and crisp. Now I want to make it again and I seem to have thrown out the supermarket booklet thingie it was printed in.I think it was Countdown but not entirely sure.Anyone still got this one?Would appreciate it if anyone can help

jessie981, Mar 19, 10:06pm

patsprat, Mar 19, 10:33pm
Thanks Jessie, but I can't seem to find it there either, not by entering "apple and blueberry shortcake pie" anyway.However my clever husband has gone and sorted through all the old papers (I thought he took them away last week!) and found my discarded 'Indulge' booklet so all is well.I recommend it, the pastry is very short and tricky to work with but is crisp and yummy.
Thank you for your help.

nanax3, Mar 20, 8:13am
Hi there patsprat, would you care to share the recipe please. Sounds very nice.

elliehen, Mar 20, 8:50am
I second that :)

patsprat, Mar 20, 9:33pm
supermarket, can't remember if it was Countdown or New World, I made it last week (with blackberries instead of blueberries) and the pastry was just delicious, very short and crisp. Now I want to make it again and I seem to have thrown out the supermarket booklet thingie it was printed in.I think it was Countdown but not entirely sure.Anyone still got this one!Would appreciate it if anyone can help

jessie981, Mar 20, 10:06pm

sideways, Mar 20, 10:07pm
I tried this recipe also and it was wonderful so much so I made it twice in the same week!!Here it is.
Pastry - 125g unsalted butter, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 cup self raising flour, 2/3 cup plain flour, 2 tblsp demerara sugar
Filling - 4 large apples, peeled & cored & cut into thin wedges, 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind, 1/3 cup caster sugar, 1/4 cup water, 300 g frozen blueberries (thawed)
To make the filling, place the apple, lemon rind, sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat.Cover & simmer for 10 minutesor until apple is soft.Add the blueberries & simmer for 1 minute.Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile use electric beaters to beat the butter & caster sugar in a bowl until pale & creamy.Beat in the egg & vanilla.Sift the self raising flour & plain flours over the butter mixture & stir to combine.Turn onto a lightly floured surface & knead until smooth.Wrap 1/3 of the dough in plastic wrap.
Wrap remaining dough in plastic wrap.Place both dough portions in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
Roll out the larger dough portion on a lightly floured surface into a 24cm disc.
Line a round 20cm springform pan with the pastry disc to cover the base and about 2cm up the side.
Strain the filling to remove excess moisture and transfer to prepared pan.
Roll out the remaining dough portion and cut into 2cm wide strips.Arrange the strips in a lattice pattern over the filling and press to seal.Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
Bake for 30 minutes.Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool.Serve with cream or custard.
NOTE: I found the rolling out of the base quite difficult so just put the dough
in my pan and worked it around and up the side - this worked perfectly.
Also my kids loved it even more after it had been in the fridge (not that it
lasted long after that).Hope you enjoy.

patsprat, Mar 20, 10:33pm
Thanks Jessie, but I can't seem to find it there either, not by entering "apple and blueberry shortcake pie" anyway.However my clever husband has gone and sorted through all the old papers (I thought he took them away last week!) and found my discarded 'Indulge' booklet so all is well.I recommend it, the pastry is very short and tricky to work with but is crisp and yummy.
Thank you for your help.

sideways, Mar 21, 10:07pm
I tried this recipe also and it was wonderful so much so I made it twice in the same week!Here it is.
Pastry - 125g unsalted butter, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 cup self raising flour, 2/3 cup plain flour, 2 tblsp demerara sugar
Filling - 4 large apples, peeled & cored & cut into thin wedges, 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind, 1/3 cup caster sugar, 1/4 cup water, 300 g frozen blueberries (thawed)
To make the filling, place the apple, lemon rind, sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat.Cover & simmer for 10 minutesor until apple is soft.Add the blueberries & simmer for 1 minute.Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile use electric beaters to beat the butter & caster sugar in a bowl until pale & creamy.Beat in the egg & vanilla.Sift the self raising flour & plain flours over the butter mixture & stir to combine.Turn onto a lightly floured surface & knead until smooth.Wrap 1/3 of the dough in plastic wrap.
Wrap remaining dough in plastic wrap.Place both dough portions in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
Roll out the larger dough portion on a lightly floured surface into a 24cm disc.
Line a round 20cm springform pan with the pastry disc to cover the base and about 2cm up the side.
Strain the filling to remove excess moisture and transfer to prepared pan.
Roll out the remaining dough portion and cut into 2cm wide strips.Arrange the strips in a lattice pattern over the filling and press to seal.Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
Bake for 30 minutes.Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool.Serve with cream or custard.
NOTE: I found the rolling out of the base quite difficult so just put the dough
in my pan and worked it around and up the side - this worked perfectly.
Also my kids loved it even more after it had been in the fridge (not that it
lasted long after that).Hope you enjoy.