Fish Thread...

Page 1 / 2
fisher, Oct 28, 7:41am
Do any of your hubbies or you guys go out and catch fish to supplement the food larder.. are any of you ladies avid fisher women?? what sort of fish do they bring home and how often..??
What sort of dishes do you prepare from these self caught fish??

beaker59, Oct 28, 9:19am
Certainly do :)

Snapper, Kingfish, gurnard, John Dory, Kahawai, yellow tail have all hit the table in the last month. Sometimes we get more variety depending on season and where the boat is based.

I smoke a few fish but mostly pan fry in bread crumbs or dusted in flour. Recently I made thai fish cakes for the first time which were delicious.

fisher, Oct 29, 12:10am
great beaker... surprised none of the recipes cooks hubbies dont actually go fishing or fish themselves...

cookessentials, Oct 29, 12:21am
Used to fisher, when we had a boat and lived in Auckland! We are inland now and occasionally go out to Castlepoint which is about a 2 hour drive from here.
Used to catch Kawhai which we would immediately bleed and smoke it...it was my favourite smoked and still warm..I would make a mean kedgeree with that. Gurnard we would catch as well as snapper.

beaker59, Oct 29, 2:19am
Smoking fish in a Kettle BBQ,

My favourite method and perfect for a good sized Kahawai or snapper but I have also smoked Trevelli and just the other day Kingfish head and wings.

My BBQ is a Webber 22 inch Kettle BBQ

Prepare fish by splitting down the middle leaving backbone on one side. Rub with a mix of 50/50 brown sugar and salt use heaps. place in fridge overnight drain excess fluids and pat dry (do not wash in water) Also good to smoke are the heads wings and frames of large fish.

Prepare wood by spliting dry seasoned wood into sticks the size and length of your fingers (my fingers are long and fat) I use Manuka but have used and recomend Pohutukawa, apple wood, plum wood, oak.

Start small charcoal fire on one side of BBQ in the fire box when charcoal is going well lay Manuka over fire 6 or 10 sticks is fine as soon as it starts burning put fish on the rack and put on cover with top vents half on and bottom vents full on leave for an hour if smoking stops of reduces then add more wood or push pieces into better pile.

An hour smoke is usually great for medium sized fish.

This will give a result much like what you see in the shops a stronger and richer and better keeping smoked fish than the meths powered quick smokers. Yet not as good as the proper 12 hour cold smokers of yesteryear. Very nice hot out of smoker or in a smoked fish pie

I have also smoked pork flap this way which was spectacular.

beaker59, Oct 29, 2:25am
Off on boat tomorrow for 2 days around Kawau will try for another big kingie like last weeks :)

rainrain1, Oct 29, 3:47am
I love to gather cockles, does that count?There's often a family member out fishing somewhere.We now and then get some beautiful blue cod or paua dropped in to us, and whitebait in season.But mostly I just buy whatever I want the favourites being salmon, blue cod, groper, and fresh sweet flounder on the bone

valentino, Oct 29, 4:15am
Have a 16ft rod that is coming out now for this seasons fishing.... seeing that the weather has been great.

Last time, caught a few kawawhai, a snapper, a stingray and a hammerhead plus a few gurnards....

Another person wanted the stingray, a friend wanted the shark.... it was only about a 4 footer though, must find out what they did with it though... Hmmm likewise the ray , oh also a couple of 3litre bottles of pippis/cockles, made some great fritters with these and was demolished.

fisher, Oct 29, 4:45am
Thanks for the replies folks... I'm out for two days and overnight next wed / thurs and heading way off shore to jig for kingfish... will let them all go as I have plenty in my freezer to smoke.. will pop out ouR craypots.. drag for scallops and have some for wed night dinner with butter pan fried snapper... will let you know how we get one...
meantime : how about some fish recipes...

uli, Oct 29, 5:03am
Most likely turned him into fish fertilizer :)

rainrain1, Oct 31, 8:30pm
Better late than never :-)

Foveaux Fishcakes

400gr fresh blue cod
400gr cold mashed potatoes
fresh ground black pepper
1 cup white wine
1 cup fish stock
1 bay leaf
zest of small lemon
1Tbsp chopped parsley
4 cups soft breadcrumbs
1 medium shallot or 3 spring onions (include green)
1 small clove garlic
Oil for frying
Place wine, stock and bay leaf in a shallow pan and bring to a steady simmer. Place fish in liquid and gently poach till cooked. Remove fish and set aside.
Chop shallots or green onion and crush garlic. Gently sauté then add to mashed potatoes. Add flaked fish, lemon zest, and parsley to mixture.
Beat eggs in a large bowl and spread breadcrumbs on baking paper.Form balls and dip in egg and crumbs.Flatten into cakes and place on tray lined with baking paper.
Set aside at least 15 minutes (important)Heat oil in nonstick pan and cook fish for about 2 minutes on each side till brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.Makes 10

fisher, Oct 28, 7:41am
Do any of your hubbies or you guys go out and catch fish to supplement the food larder. are any of you ladies avid fisher women! what sort of fish do they bring home and how often.!
What sort of dishes do you prepare from these self caught fish!

fisher, Oct 29, 12:10am
great beaker. surprised none of the recipes cooks hubbies dont actually go fishing or fish themselves.

cookessentials, Oct 29, 12:21am
Used to fisher, when we had a boat and lived in Auckland! We are inland now and occasionally go out to Castlepoint which is about a 2 hour drive from here.
Used to catch Kawhai which we would immediately bleed and smoke it.it was my favourite smoked and still warm.I would make a mean kedgeree with that. Gurnard we would catch as well as snapper.

rainrain1, Oct 29, 3:47am
I love to gather cockles, does that count!There's often a family member out fishing somewhere.We now and then get some beautiful blue cod or paua dropped in to us, and whitebait in season.But mostly I just buy whatever I want the favourites being salmon, blue cod, groper, and fresh sweet flounder on the bone

valentino, Oct 29, 4:15am
Have a 16ft rod that is coming out now for this seasons fishing. seeing that the weather has been great.

Last time, caught a few kawawhai, a snapper, a stingray and a hammerhead plus a few gurnards.

Another person wanted the stingray, a friend wanted the shark. it was only about a 4 footer though, must find out what they did with it though. Hmmm likewise the ray , oh also a couple of 3litre bottles of pippis/cockles, made some great fritters with these and was demolished.

fisher, Oct 29, 4:45am
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm out for two days and overnight next wed / thurs and heading way off shore to jig for kingfish. will let them all go as I have plenty in my freezer to smoke. will pop out ouR craypots. drag for scallops and have some for wed night dinner with butter pan fried snapper. will let you know how we get one.
meantime : how about some fish recipes.

uli, Nov 1, 4:46am
bump for more fish recipes - now that summer is upon us.

davidt4, Nov 1, 4:54am
Good idea uli.I'll go first:

Home-cured herrings or trevally or other oily fish

500 g fillets of herring, trevally etc
10g sea salt

a pinch of sugar 

for the marinade: 

450ml white wine vinegar 

300ml water 

250g sugar 

14 allspice berries 

14 black peppercorns 

1 bay leaf 
carrot, sliced 

1 red onion, sliced 

1 tbsp grated fresh horseradish 

Honey, mustard and dill dressing:
100g honey 

100g English mustard 

100ml white wine vinegar 

350ml olive oil 

1 tbsp chopped dill

Put the herrings in a rectangular casserole dish. Combine the salt and sugar and cover the fish with the mixture. Leave to cure in the fridge for 48 hours then lift out the herrings, brush off the salt and return to the dish.
Put all the marinade ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil, then take off the heat and leave until completely cold. Pour over the herrings. When cold, transfer the fish and its marinade to sterilised preserving jars. Seal and put in the fridge for up to a month.
Mix together the honey, mustard and vinegar and whisk in the oil, gradually, until the sauce emulsifies. Add the chopped dill. Serve over the herrings.

uli, Nov 1, 7:36am
Do we have herrings in NZ davidt4!
Otherwise I could use trevally!

davidt4, Nov 1, 8:48am
"Home-cured herrings or trevally or other oily fish "

Of course.We occasionally get herrings at the fish market in Auckland, but I normally use trevally for most cured fish dishes - it's my favourite, especially for smoking.

books4nz, Nov 1, 10:31am
Herrings can be caught by fishing off a wharf or similar as kids do.

aktow, Nov 1, 1:59pm
i worked on a fishing boat for years and i got so sick of eating schnapper, john dory and crayfish, i goout now on a friends boat and i still do not want to eat any fresh fish, i give away what i catch,, part of the reason i do not want to take my fish home is, i hate the mess,, the smell of the fish in your house and the scales seem to go every where,, i got friends still working on long lineboats so if i wanted any fresh fish i can just text them,, the lazy pricks will onlygut the fish and not fillet them off so i do not bother asking for any. . istarted buying smoked fish but some days the fish is somoist and others its old and dry,now days i like eating tinned pink salmon mixed with american mayo in a ciabatta roll,,, yummy.
i find the smoked salmon so oily, i feel sick after eating it,

spot20, Nov 1, 9:10pm
We have just had our first feed of fresh snapper caught in the BOP since the Rena disaster.was very wary but fish looked and tasted pristine! And my hunter gatherer always cooks his catch.restaurant quality I might add. Ususally it is pan fried on one side and oven roasted and at this time of year served with grilled vine ripened tomatoes and asparagus with a few new spuds.delish, fresh and simple!

rainrain1, Nov 1, 10:29pm
Good grief