Tuna fish pie - opinions please

darlingmole, Feb 13, 10:37pm
Want to know what sort of a sauce would be good for this.White sauce is too bland, don't think garlic would work?How about hollandaise?I'm low on food and trying to dream up a meal for the teenagers tonight.All ideas much appreciated ...

margyr, Feb 13, 11:11pm
how about a cheese sauce?? although with tuna I like it with rice, raw onion and soya sauce, let the rice cool and then stir through the onion and soy sauce, you could just have this with a green salad.

darlingmole, Feb 13, 11:14pm
like the sounds of the cheese sauce but don't have any cheese!

margyr, Feb 13, 11:17pm
mustard?? that can perk up a white sauce.

dorothy_vdh, Feb 14, 2:00am
parsley or some kind of sauce maybe

petal1955, Feb 14, 2:48am
Try a littel curry powder in your white/parsley sauce

ant_sonja, 1 day, 11 hours
this may sound odd but a 'recipe' I have cooked for years now when I don't have much in the pantry...its made with tinned tuna, Tinned pineapple, carrots and green beans (and or sweet corn) frozen or fresh is fine, onion, mixed herbs & potato and grated cheese(if available) to top the 'pie' - if no cheese you can leave as is or add a sprinkling of bread crumbs and knobs of butter to the potato top prior to it going in the oven.
Boil potato until tender, season and mash, pre- cook your vegies (skip if using frozen) and chop into smallish pieces. Strain tuna (retaining the juice) and flake into an oven proof dish, strain Pineapple (retaining the juice) and chop into rough chunks then add to the tuna as well as the vegies. Finely chop or grate a small onion and add to the mix. Season with salt & Pepper and Mixed herbs (the pre mixed herbs you can buy are fine to use or make your own mixture) add about half of both the tuna & pineapple liquid and mix everything well. If the mix seems quite dry, add more of the pineapple or tuna 'juice'. Press into the dish, top with your mash and grated cheese or crumb/butter topping. Bake for 30 min at approx 180 deg until hot through and golden on top.

Weird combination and hardly a culinary high point but the family has never complained :-)