Lemon Sour Cream Cake

julzienz, Oct 15, 9:26am
I had this cake at a cafe the other day, and it was soooooooooo good, but cost $5.50 so I want to be able to make it myself! It was quite dense and creamy, and not too lemony. I think it also had icing sugar sprinkled on top, and it had a thin crackley crust on top too. Hopefully someone will know what I mean by this description, and has the recipe! I'd really like to make it. I've seen some recipes for sour cream cake online, but would like to have one reccommended by someone who has read my description :) Thanks.

toadfish, Oct 15, 5:39pm
I made this last week for a work colleagues birthday and it was delicious with a thin crackly top.

Lemon Syrup Cake
Ingredients
200g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
200g Caster Sugar
4 eggs
150ml sour cream
grated rind of 1 large lemon
4 tablespoons lemon juice
150ml sunflower oil

SYRUP
4 tablespoons Icing Sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Method
Lightly grease a round loose-bottom tin.
Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir in the caster sugar.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, lemon rind, lemon juice and oil together.
Combined the egg mixture with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a pre-heated oven, 180°C; for 45-60 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the syrup, mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until it just begins to bubble and turn syrupy.
As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick the surface with a fine skewer, then brush the syrup over the top.

pam.delilah, Oct 15, 6:23pm
Lemon Sour Cream Cake

125g softened butter,
2tsp grated lemon rind,
1C sugar,
3 eggs,
1C flour,
1tsp baking powder,
half cup sour cream,
icing sugar.

Preheat oven to 160`C.
Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
Beat butter, lemon rind, sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Sift flour and baking powder together.
Fold sifted ingredients into egg mixture alternately with the sour cream, mixing until smooth.
Pour into cake tin.
Bake 45 mins, or until centre springs back when lightly touched.
Stand in tin 5-10 mins before turning out onto a cooling rack.
When cold dust with icing sugar.

smileeah, Oct 15, 9:58pm
This is the recipe I use now and I think it meets your criteria - dense, creamy and not too lemony.

Suzanne Prentice's Lemon Syrup Cake

cake:
150g softened butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
250g sour cream
finely grated zest of 2 lemons
2 c flour
2 t baking powder

syrup:
juice of 2 lemons
1/2 c sugar

Preheat oven to 170c. Line and grease a 22cm round cake tin.
Beat butter and first measure of sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Combine lemon zest with sifted flour and baking powder and gently fold into mixture a little at a time alternating with sour cream.
Pour batter into cake tin and bake 35-45 min until skewer comes out clean.
As soon as you take cake out of oven bring to the boil the lemon juice and second measure of sugar and pour syrup over the cake in the tin and leave to cool.
Before serving dust with icing sugar. Serve with whipped cream or yoghurt.

julzienz, Jun 4, 12:16am
Thanks everyone, these recipes all sound similar, so I'll just keep trying them until I find the one I want. Yummmm.