Ideas please for side dishes

nfh1, Sep 3, 7:59am
For dinner tomorrow I have three guests and we are having rump steak casseroled with onions, mushrooms, celery and red wine. What can I do with it, bearing in mind I have excellent guests who I want to be with and not in the kitchen!Many thanks.

darlingmole, Sep 3, 8:04am
well a simple salad of lettuce/tomatoes/cucumber/spri-
ng onions etc with a creamy mayo ora roast vegetable salad with a balsamic vinigrette?

alebix, Sep 3, 8:04am
mashed potatoes or kumera, glazed/garlic carrots, sugar snap peas, corn.

nfh1, Sep 3, 8:06am
Both sound yummy thank you - could I make mash before hand and then re-heat in the microwave??Dare I ask that?????

juliewn, Sep 4, 3:15am
Baked potatoes are great with a casserole.. bake in your oven, set on the rack beside the casserole.. scrub and pop in an hour before serving (for medium sized potatoes)..

Make a large salad, cover and it's ready in your fridge.. just need to serve it all when you're ready to eat.. enjoy.. :-)

momma1, Sep 4, 3:17am
potato au gratin (potato dish) caulifower cheese (make a whole cauli, cover in cheese sauce) salad crusty bread and maybe glazed carrots. everything but carrots can be cooked while you are with guests

nauru, Sep 4, 3:26am
Mash reheats in microwave well.What about stuffed baked potatoes? You can do them well in advance and just reheat in microwave or better still in oven as they will crisp up nicely.

nfh1, Sep 4, 10:10pm
Thanks very much - I made mash and re-heated it in the microwave and it was fine.Did glazed carrots and peas.Everything went so must have been ok!

fee1965, Sep 5, 3:55am
Cauli flower gratin.Can be made ahead and reheated.

Boil cauli florets in MILK and a pinch of salt.When cooked, reserve milk and cool
Make a cheese sauce using the cooled milk and pour over florets in individual ramekins.
These can be reheated when required.
Cooking the cauli in milk makes all the difference.

nfh1, Sep 5, 8:31am
that sounds excellent fee1964 - I am going to try that tomorrow!

duckmoon, Sep 5, 8:41am
mashed potatoes and green beans...

theanimal1, Sep 5, 12:31pm
fresh green bean salad

Dressing:

1/2 cup salad oil
1/2 cup wine,cider, or balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic-minced or pressed
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. celery seed
1-2 tbsp.brown sugar
1 tsp salt

ingedients:
1 kg green beans ( can use half green half butter)
4 rashers of cooked crispy bacon, chopped
(mushrooms if you like them)
1 zucchini
spring onion, as much as you want
pine nuts or toasted seame seeds
Cherry tomatoes (optional)

Trim ends from beans and rinse in a colander. Put beans in a pot of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes. While beans are cooking fill a pot or bowl withwater and ice cubes.

Drain boiling water from beans and immediately immerse them in the ice water bath. This stops them from cooking and keeps them crisp, vibrant and green.

When beans are cool, put them in a colander to drain water, then cut them in half on a cutting board. Add them to a large salad bowl.

Cut zucchini lengthwise, discarding the middle seed section. Cut lengths into 1/4 inch strips and chop strips into 2-3 inch lengths. Add to bowl.

Chop the mushroom into aprox. 1 inch squares and add to salad. Add onions and pine nuts or toasted seame seeds

Mix dressing from the ingredients listed, adjust salt and/or sugar to taste and add to salad. mix well and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Toss salad a couple of times while cooling and just before serving. This salad should be eaten fairly soon after the 2-3 hour cooling as the mushroom and zucchini will get soggy after a while.

theanimal1, Sep 5, 12:33pm
Ratatouille

Ingredients

1 tbsp oil
1 onion
1 aubergine(eggplant)
1 red pepper
half a green pepper
1 clove garlic
2 tins of tomatoes

Method

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Chop the onion and fry for one minute. Roughly chop the peppers and aubergine, add to the pan and fry for one minute. Crush the garlic and add to the pan with the tomatoes.

Bring to the boil, put the lid on the pan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take the lid off the pan, stir well and simmer for another 15 minutes.

Season with plenty of fresh black pepper and serve.

nfh1, Feb 28, 6:17pm
More things I will try - I am very grateful for all your ideas.And my future guests will be too!