Whats your favourite thing to cook in a crockpot??

Page 1 / 8
tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 11:34pm
Mine would have to be chicken and vegetable soup :) great for winter

cookessentials, Jun 24, 11:37pm
Corned beef for me.

cookessentials, Jun 24, 11:38pm
and my ham hock and vegetable soup.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 24, 11:41pm
i love corned beef its delicious slow cooked. . i know people sometimes boil it up for about an hour but to have it cooking all day just makes it soo much tastier and makes the house smell fantastic :P

cap, Jun 25, 1:30am
Beef bolar roast - mmmmmm! ! ! ! Wish they would have a good special on it again.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 25, 1:35am
i looked at buying some yesterday at countdown but it was about 18bucks. not too bad size though

cap, Jun 25, 1:39am
I usually try and pick some up when I can get a good piece for no more than $12 but haven't seen it that price this winter. They had lamb leg roasts on special this week - over $30 for a not very large leg! Meat just seems so expensive these days. You can usually get corned beef at a good price but it's not something I really like although the rest of the family does.

zappi, Jun 25, 1:43am
lasagne is our favourite

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 25, 1:51am
im quite pleased of the price of pork at the moment though. a nice big pork shoulder is around $15-20. i never buy from supermarkets for meat. butchers are cheaper and better quality i reckon

rainrain1, Jun 25, 1:51am
Love the corned beef... . . but the smell oh no! ! ! My crockpot lives 2 doors away from my kitchen

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 25, 1:52am
ive never tried doing a lasagne in the crockpot. do you have a recipe for that? would love to try it out, ive heard many people talking about it.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 25, 1:53am
really? i put lemon and onions and other rubbish in with it though so maybe that could be why it smells so gooood :)

cap, Jun 25, 1:59am
Our local butcher is dearer unfortunately. I try to troll the meat ailse in the morning and get the "reduced to clear" stuff lol!

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 25, 2:01am
yeah i do that too sometimes i only buy from super market if its cheap :) cheeky eh. ive got a few good butchers local so im quite lucky

earthangel4, Jun 25, 2:09am
HI cooks, to do this soup, do you just cook meat first, then take off bone and throw in veges, lol.
Hubby loves this soup, but I have never made it, his mum has.

zappi, Jun 25, 2:31am
Alison's Lazy Lasagne

This is a variant of one of Alison's most popular recipes. It's almost too good to be true - a lasagne with no precooking, just a little assembly!

Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH to preheat and coat the bowl with non-stick spray.

Put the garlic and tomatoes (with any juice) into a food processor or large bowl and process or mash with a fork to break up the tomatoes. Add the soup mix, minced beef, tomato paste, herbs, stock and water, then process or mix until well combined.

Spread one third of the meat mixture evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker bowl. Place half the lasagne noodles over the meat. Repeat the layering with another 1/3 of the meat mixture, the remaining pasta then cover with the remaining meat mixture. (You may like to keep a bit more than a third of the meat mixture for the top layer. )

To make the topping, mix together the cornflour, egg, milk (and/or sour cream) and cheese. Pour this over everything in the slow cooker and sprinkle with paprika (if using).

Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8-9 hours. Serve with a green salad or cooked vegetables and garlic bread.

NOTE: 1 x this recipe, cooked in a 4. 5 litre oval slow cooker, is 4-5cm deep.

To cook conventionally: Assemble the 'filling' in the same way, layering the mixture into a non-stick sprayed 25x30cm lasagne dish. Cover with foil and place in a oven preheated to 180 degrees Celcius and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and pour on the topping mixture, then bake uncovered for a further 10 minutes. Remove from th oven and leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Alison's Lazy Lasagne

For 4 - 6 servings:

2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

1 x 400g can whole or diced tomatoes in juice

1 x 30g pkt tomato soup, or tomato and onion soup mix

500g minced beef

¼ cup tomato paste

1 tsp each dried basil and oreganum

2 tsp instant beef stock

1 cup hot water

250g (about 3-4 cups) small lasagne shapes or long lasagne strips

Topping:

2 tsp cornflour

1 large egg

3/4 cup milk, sour cream, or a mixture

1 cup grated tasty cheese

paprika, optional

zappi, Jun 25, 2:32am
Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8-9 hours. Serve with a green salad or cooked vegetables and garlic bread.

NOTE: 1 x this recipe, cooked in a 4. 5 litre oval slow cooker, is 4-5cm deep.

To cook conventionally: Assemble the 'filling' in the same way, layering the mixture into a non-stick sprayed 25x30cm lasagne dish. Cover with foil and place in a oven preheated to 180 degrees Celcius and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and pour on the topping mixture, then bake uncovered for a further 10 minutes. Remove from th oven and leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving.

zappi, Jun 25, 2:35am
I just typed Alison Holst Lazy Lasagne in on my home page and you getholst.co.nz It is also in the Alison Holst Crockpot Book which is a really good book.

cookessentials, Jun 25, 2:53am
Hi earthangel - yes, pretty much but add lots of various things. I have posted the recipe here before so will see if I can find it and pop it here for you.

cookessentials, Jun 25, 2:54am
Pam's Ham Hock Soup

Not sure if you have a crockpot, but if you do, pop your hock into the crockpot and cover with water. Cook till meat falls off bone ( I usually do this overnight so it's ready to prepare the following day)
Remove the hock and with a slotted spoon, fish around the liquid and remove any bits of bone, skin and meat that has fallen off. Now, you can either wait for the liquid to go cold and take any fat off the top, or just remove any visible bits of fat off the top ( a folded piece of bread will do the trick - just skim gently across the top to soak up the fatty layer. To the liquid, add 1x lge chopped onion, a can of chopped tomatoes, 1-2 kumara, peeled and choped into fairly large dice. 1-2 potatoes chopped the same as the kumara, 1-2 swede peeled and chopped the same. 1-2 carrots peeled and sliced thickly, 1 litre container of Campbells chicken or vege stock and a good tbsp of tomato paste. Break up the meat from the ham hock and add this into the crockpot ( or stock pot) with the vege. Cook on high till vege are tender. Then add about 1-2 cups of either macaroni or spiral pasta if you like, this will make the soup lovely and thcik once it has cooked through. Season well with pepper ( you probably wont need salt as the stock should gove you enough flavour, but add it to your taste if you think it needs it. )Continue cooking slowly till pasta is cooked through. Serve with fresh crusty bread or make a nice garlic bread loaf and serve warm with the soup.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 25, 3:57am
hey thanks heaps for the recipe and sorry for the delay . . running around after the little one. yumm :)

taniajane, Jun 25, 4:16am
This gets me and mine thu calving, Frozen chicken, a carton mushroom soup, the delish brand is the best i have found. toss in onion, garlic and tarrgaon and any mushrroms and leave on low all day. i make this at breckfast and its lovely to come home to after a muddy yukky day. . just need to make some rice and veges and its all done.
just wish the NZ campbells soup didnt taste so much like flour.

marcs, Jun 25, 4:18am
Rice pudding.

cottagerose, Jun 25, 4:50am
Lamb raguot using the maggi satchet and throwing in frozen mixed veges and onion.
Very tastey

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 25, 5:05am
those all sound delicious :)