Candida diet recipes

k1andb2, Feb 16, 10:49pm
After years of suffering from candida, my last resort is to go on the diet... ... however as it is very restricting, I am finding it hard to think of different meal ideas. I am unable to eat fruit, diary (except natural yoghurt), wheat, yeast or any sugars, and limited stachy veges - eg potatoes. Any help greatly appreciated :)

daisyk, Feb 16, 11:14pm
x1
I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results though, so do stick to the diet. We did it aeons ago.
Potatoes and eggs worked for us for breakfast. Salads at this time of the year are great. Avocado, tomato. Lucky you to do the diet now when all these lovely vegetables are at their best.
Of course meats are ok, but no sauces. We didn't have dairy at all, including yoghurt. Good luck
We did the diet was for 3 weeks, and we were very happy with results.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 16, 11:22pm
Poster #1 - what you've been recommended is a mostly low carb diet. Check in to the Low Carb diet thread and the Lo carb Recipe thread. You'll be most welcome.
There are many of us who love eating to this plan.

daleaway, Feb 16, 11:46pm
The anti-candida diet you are after is called the MEVY diet. Meat, eggs, vegetables, yoghurt. Lots about it on Google.

Starches are gradually reintroduced to your diet after you have starved/shrunk your yeast bug for a month by giving it nothing to live on.

After that you can just keep your intestinal flora in good shape by topping up with some acidophilus yoghurt on your breakfast cereal each day. Especially after you have had antibiotic medication which plays havoc with your gut-bugs.

The MEVY diet is boring, but works really well. The doctor that put me onto it also recommended replacing wheat bread with pikelets made from other grains - eg rice flour, potato flour, soy flour. That's when I discovered that soy flour pikelets make me sneeze! I think he was right about not eating Old World grass grains (wheat, oats, rye, barley etc) but it's a hard road to follow.

buzzy110, Feb 17, 12:20am
x1
I have just read the diet it is:
M for meats: all meats - beef, chicken, fish, turkey, seafood (all), bacon, snails, frog’s legs, venison, duck, ham.
E is for eggs: eat lots of them, and don’t worry, your cholesterol will go way down.
V is for vegetables: all except for carrots, corn, potatoes, and beets. No beans except for string beans. All spices are OK
Y is for plain yogurt: plain or flavored with vanilla, not fruit. Kefir is OK. Cheese is not.

It actually isn't so hard. One thing you have to remember is that you will have to abandon the low fat mantra. In order for you to stay sated on this diet you will have to eat more of the saturated fats in the meat. They will satisfy you and as your carb intake is severely restricted you will not gain weight. I think you will find that your energy levels will improve dramatically and as will your sense of well being.

buzzy110, Feb 17, 12:26am
As well as the low carb thread you may also want to take a peek into the coconut oil thread. A teaspoon of coconut oil in a cup of decaffeinated coffee every morning will help you to stay sated and focused.

k1andb2, Feb 17, 12:44am
Thankyou every1 for your encouragement. I feel much more motivated now! This is my 6th day on the diet, and although I already feel much better, the food restrictions were starting to get me down. Daleaway, could you please post your pikelets recipe? I have been eating rice cakes with almond butter & tomato for lunch for the past 6 days, but have got a bit sick of them so am looking for different lunch ideas.

uli, Feb 17, 1:57am
x2
lunch ideas:

- salad and chicken
- steak, eggs and mixed veges (except potatoes)
- fried eggplant in tomato sauce with cucumber salad/yoghurt (=Tsaitziki)
- cooked green beans mixed with saldd greens and topped with tuna
- finely sliced roast beef salad with onions, tomatoes, cucumbers
- halved soft boiled eggs with mayo, fried courgette slices with bacon
- frittata made with eggs, ham or meat, veges, handfull of herbs, salt and pepper - in the moment grated courgettes work well or tomatoes or chopped up silverbeet, later in the year use spinach, mushrooms whatever you have available.

I would suggest you refrain from any grains for a while (pikelets etc) - as they will all turn into sugar in your body - and that is what you want to avoid. And please do avoid soy altogether. It is not a healthy "food" at all. I would not feed it to my enemies.

Once you have got the hang of it you will find so many more interesting things to eat than bread - or rice or pasta with a bit of sauce - you will not want to go back to your old diet. Good luck!

daleaway, Feb 17, 3:11am
Any old pikelet recipe will do - just replace the wheat flour with a mixture of other flours. As I said above, potato flour, rice flour or soy flour. You'll find the combination and proportions that you like. I used to make up a big batch once a week and freeze them.

HOWEVER I do stress that you shouldn't be eating rice cakes or ANY starches in the first month of MEVY.

Starch feeds the yeast bug, which converts it into sugar and even into alcohol in a few people. Think of it as having a live ginger beer bug inside you - don't feed it starch, sugar or anything yeasty (beer etc). Even the natural sugars in fruit and dairy foods are food for your bug, so don't eat them. Get stuck into the green veges and plain meat and it will gradually shrivel up.

After a month you can have things like peas and a small potato and see how it goes, then gradually reintroduce dairy foods and starch like the pikelets.

Lotsa luck - it's a gruelling regime but needs must. I've done it and I know how tedious it is. You'll drop weight too, so look on the bright side.

maxwell.inc, Feb 17, 3:34am
if you must do 'floury' things then get hold of some Buckwheat flour. . its not wheat at all its related to rhubarb and sorrel making it a suitable substitute for grains for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain protein glutens.

I know of a few ppl on the anti - candidia diet. . and it does take a few good years to heal your body.

dalbyj, Feb 17, 4:15am
Coconut oil is also a fantastic antifungal, it helps to kill off the yeast in your gut so definitely try this. Garlic is another natural anti fungal.

jag5, Feb 17, 8:58am
Just an added thought here. During your treatments with canestan, whatever else you used, did you treat your sexual partner, if you have one. If not, I suggest you do. Males can carry this on their genitals, with no discomfort to them, but will reinfect you every time. Daughter was having no end of problems, I suggested this, they treated him, no more problems, been thrush free for years now.

k1andb2, Feb 18, 8:29pm
Thankyou every1 for all your help, thanks to your input I have now ditched all rice, oats and other grains, and it was amazing how my energy levels went skyhigh. I got soo much more done yesterday than I have in years! ! ! ! And am feeling great! ! ! !

I have had omelet for breakfast for the past 2 days, though I know I'll get sick of that, so have any of you fabulous ladies got any different breakfast suggestions please? By the way I dont think that I can have bacon, due to it being a cured meat, though please correct me if I'm wrong.

maynard9, Feb 18, 8:44pm
Besides your dietary change you need to be taking Pro-Biotic tablets. The organism is a natural inhabitant of the bowel - well actually the whole GI tract really starting with your mouth and right thru. Your need it for 'balance', however it can easily become unbalanced for various reasons - antibiotics, oral contraceptives, stress etc. Taking Pro-Biotic tablets helps restore the balance. Inner Health Plus is a good one. Take twice daily until symptoms clear then maintain with x 1/day. And of course never forget the basic of 'wiping front to back' like our Mommies taught us.

uli, Feb 18, 9:12pm
Amazing isn't it how much easier life gets if we ditch the gluggy starches LOL :)

As for breakfast ides - just think outside the square. You can eat anything at all for breakfast, there are actually no rules.

So if you feel like salad and tuna - go for it.

People put too much emphasis on "replacing" foods, there is nobody stopping you from eating salmon and cucumber salad either.

Or fried eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms.

Or soft boiled eggs on a bed of rocket and tomatoes with a dollop of mayo.

Or some eggs coddled in some spinach or silverbeet.

Or a wedge of leftover frittata (which is always good on the run).

In fact any leftovers from dinner can be your breakfast or lunch the next day together with some greens.

You will find after some time that you do not want to go back to porridge, toast, jam and orange juice breakfasts at all as your body will be so much happier with what you are eating now.

And your body now also knows that that whole "breakfast" of porridge, toast, jam and orange juice (which most people would consider a "healthy" breakfast) will turn into plain sugar in your guts - and it doesn't like it.

bidz, Feb 18, 9:45pm
I make fabulous scrambled eggs with added extras. I use butter and fry some red onion in a small pot, then add in two eggs that have been whisked together with cream or milk, s&pepper. Scramble as per normal and then add in chopped tomato and parmesan or grated cheese or my favourite, feta. Delicious! I have eggs for one of my meals most days, be it brekkie, lunch or tea.

A fave lunch of mine is to panfry in coconut oil chicken thigh cutlets that have been seasoned well with salt and pepper. Allow to rest for a bit and then eat with cucumber, lettuce, peppers and tomatoes.

Lamb steaks are nice for a change too or lamb chops. Bacon does need to be avoided; beef is often suggested to be limited to one meal a week at most.

daleaway, Feb 19, 12:15am
The doctor that got me onto the MEVY diet recommended ham, eggs and bubble and squeak for breakfast - without starch of course). The amount of fat you take in does not matter at this stage, provided it is butter or olive oil (no marge). Keep the amount of ham modest because some sugar is used in the curing. Have as much veg as you like.
Or you could just have the fried veg with egg. (No sausages just yet - they contain meal. )
One thing I forgot to say is that pumpkin is your friend, especially when you are longing for a big filling hunk of vege! Do too much the night before so there is always plenty of pre-cooked pumpkin for your breakfast B&S. No kumara or yams of course.
The commenter above is right about the buckwheat - that was not available in NZ when I did the MEVY diet but it is now. That's for next month!

bedazzledjewels, Feb 19, 12:18am
One of the favourite veges in the low carb thread is cauliflower. You can mash it just like spuds and add leeks, wholegrain mustard and cream to it.
Also you can zap cauli in the processor until it looks like rice and cook it as a rice substitute. It's brilliant! Check the Lo Carb recipe thread for ideas.

guest, Jul 23, 7:41am
x1
I suffered with candida for years until I started drinking water brewed in keffer crystals. It was like magic. I think this is also called the ginger beer bug. Amazing! I have not changed my diet at all apart from adding this in.
Sue

guest, Aug 15, 3:48pm
Coconut flour muffins with your choice of zucchini or shreadded carrots added