"4 Ingredients" fruit cake

ann7, May 26, 5:11am
I saw a recipe on TV the other morning, soak 1kg mixed fruit in 3 cups hot black tea, overnight. Add 3 C SR flour, and that's it. Cook 21/2 hours at 150. Anyone done this one? I am attracted by the no "added sugar"

creeky1, May 26, 9:34pm
take out some of the orange juice and replace with brandy or rum. Makes the best christmas cake and keeps so well.

nauru, May 26, 11:25pm
Yes, I've made it that way and added some mixed spice and chopped nuts. It was nice and moist and I liked it because it didn't have the added sugar as with fruit juice, enough sweetness in the dried fruit. I have also used earl grey tea which was nice too.

jallen2, May 26, 11:28pm
I have also made a similar cake. - instead of the black tea I use strong coffee. It is sweet enough because of the fruit. Was great for school lunches :-)
Edited to say I use decaffeinated coffee lol

nauru, May 27, 7:02am
Hadn't thought about using coffee, thanks for the tip. I might give it a go when I make my next cake. I have some toffee rum coffee and also irish cream which might be nice, just a thought.

kay141, May 27, 7:27am
I have used some of the fruit flavoured herbal teas as the liquid for a change. I haven't made one for years, now I'm tempted. Last one , I used coffee, put in small chunks of Whittakers Dark Ghana as well. Because I'm on my own and the rest of the family don't like fruit cake, I cut it into quarters and freeze 3 of them. It freezes well and means I don't have to eat the whole thing before it goes off.

I have some small loaf tins, might try those.

just_cruzin, Sep 28, 4:17am
Remember the ingredients, but not the quantities or how long to cook at what temp. Thanks

tramore, Sep 28, 5:24am
1kg fruit mix, 2 c orange juice, 2 c SR flour. Place fruit in bowl with juice overnight. Add flour. Mix & bake 1 hour at 160degrees.

lilyfield, Sep 28, 5:36am
Baking powder

kay141, Sep 28, 8:20pm
The recipe given is correct for a 3 ingredient cake, the other version is 4 ingredients of fruit, liquid, flour and baking powder. Both are very much the same.

eljayv, Sep 28, 8:28pm
I think it self raising flour so no baking powder required but adding a teaspoon of almond essence, lemon essence and 1 or 2 of mixed spice can add flavour too.

tramore, Sep 29, 5:24pm
I usually add spices. cinnamon, mixed spice, nutmeg.

willy911, Jul 4, 3:10am
I do 3 c orange juice or any juice, tropical is good,and 3 c S R flour makes it bigger without much extra cost usually get 2 cakes, eat 1 and freeze the other and I add mixed spice and slivered almonds sometimes