Soup

nzhel, Jul 13, 5:51am
I really like the Tomato and Capsicum soup from Watties Very Special soup range. Has anyone got a really nice tried and true recipe for it?

uli, Jul 13, 6:05am
You want a recipe from Watties?
Why not ring them and ask?

I am sure there are lots of people here to tell you about soup - however maybe not that SPECIAL one.

We all put in different herbs and spices and it will never come close to the tinned variety I am afraid.

Good luck in tracking it down - let us know how you get on.

uli, Jul 13, 6:06am
P.S.: You could always check what ingredients they use :)
It should be on the tin.

245sam, Jul 13, 6:12am
nzhel, I haven't tried the soup that you enjoy nor have I used the following recipe:-

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/roasted-tomato-and-red-pepper-soup-3238

Hope that recipe will help you to replicate the store-bought version. :-))

rosejenny38, Jul 13, 6:29am
The Watties Very Special Soup is suppose to be a containment within itself. It's quite expensive compared to the other Wattie's soups at $1 which I use at times when I am time poor - I grate carrots and anything in the fridge to the mix, specially the Chunky Tomato Soup. Have fun.

samanya, Jul 13, 6:58am
I agree with most of uli's post.
Look on the tin ( I doubt if you phone them they will divulge their secret recipe).
245sam's link is a good place to start & if you make it, it may even be way superior to the Wattie's soup.
You'll get there & I suspect that you'll come up with something better than Watties. Good luck.

rainrain1, Jul 13, 7:13am
Try this one. it's beaut

Hot Spicy Tomato Soup

Chopped parsley
2 onions
Sliced celery
Heaps of chopped bacon (fried lightly)
Chopped peppers (I just use one)
3 cans of chopped tomatoes, or 4kg ripe tomatoes
Large tin of Watties Tomato Soup

In a large pot, put 1 litre of water plus all of the above. Add salt, pepper, pinch cayenne, (1Tblsp basil, 1Tblsp marjoram, 1Tblsp celery seeds, 1Tblsp mustard seeds…. all packet stuff) 2Tblsp sugar.
Boil together ½ hour or till veges are tender……needs stirring now and then.
Serve with your favourite bread

nzhel, Jul 13, 9:23pm
Thank you for any helpful replies. That recipe looks very nice rainrain and worth a try. I have also managed to trackdown a recipe from the Woman's Day mag which I haven't tried as yet. Here it is for anyone interested:

Tomato & Capsicum Soup (Woman's Day)
4 large capsicums seeded & quartered.
8 large ripe tomatoes halved.
12 garlic cloves skin on.
1/2 cup olive oil.
4 cups vegetable stock.
Basil pesto to serve.

Preheat oven to 180C.
Place capsicums on a baking tray, skin side up. Place tomatoes and garlic on another baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste.
Roast vegetables 50-60 minutes until capsicum blisters and blackens. Cove capsicum in plastic for 5 minutes. Peel away skin.
When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze flesh into bowl. Discard skins.
Place capsicums, tomatoes and garlic and half the stock in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
Transfer mixture to a large saucepan and blend in rest of stock. Heat on medium, stirring for 3-4 minutes until hot.
Serve with a dollop of pesto.

sampa, Jul 13, 11:50pm
It's on special this week at Countdown nzhel - 2 for $5.00. Maybe you should have a stock up for the rest of this winter and do your experimenting over summer when tomatoes and capsicums are at their freshest and cheapest. Then, once you hit the jackpot recipe, you could stash loads of it away in the freezer for quick heat and eat meals over next winter.

nzhel, Mar 13, 8:14am
Exactly sampa - now just a case of finding the perfect recipe!