Easy Receipe for Macaroni Cheese

Page 1 / 2
sadie, Jan 26, 5:52am
Please folks and simple as if possible as lost my reciepe books

sarahb5, Jan 26, 6:16am
Cheese sauce and cooked pasta - how much easier could it be?

sarahb5, Jan 26, 8:06am
I make mine by the all in one method either on the stove top or in the microwave and never add the cheese on the heat anyway but I do add it without waiting because it doesn't melt properly otherwise. Do you need quantities OP?

pacificrose42, Jan 26, 8:11am
Sarahb5 - Yes please!

sarahb5, Jan 26, 8:23am
450ml milk
40g flour
25g butter
75g tasty cheese
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp mustard powder

I never make macaroni cheese so can't give quantities for that

pacificrose42, Jan 26, 8:40am
Thanks sarahb5 but how do you do this in the all in one method thanks!

sadie, Jan 26, 9:00am
Thank you all

sadie, Jan 26, 9:01am
oops sorry didnt think it went through so re did

clevercloggs, Jan 26, 9:02am
You can heat your milk. Make a thickening with the flour and a bit of the milk. Add the thickener to the hot milk, then put in the cheese and season to taste with mustard and salt and pepper. Then add your cooked pasta. That's what I consider,the cheats way.

pickles7, Jan 26, 9:12am
microwave macaroni cheese.

2 cups of macaroni
3 cups hot water
1 teaspoons salt
100 grams of butter

1 and 1/2 cups of milk

300 grams of grated tasty cheese
1/4 cup of plain flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of dry mustard powder.

Microwave the water, butter, salt and macaroni for 12 minutes
without a lid, stir twice in the 12 minutes.
stand 5 minutes.
Add the milk,
mix together the rest of the ingredients, and stir in.
microwave a further 3 minutes, stir microwave further 3 minutes.
serve.

drommy, Jan 26, 9:26am
Okay, so this is mad and you'll probably all boot me out of the page and tell me to never come back.

Boil macaroni. When cooked, drain it. Add a tin of tomato SOUP (for the love of god don't add a tin of tomato sauce, it will end in tears. Probably yours.)

Also add a tablespoonish of marmite and lashings of grated cheese.

Stir well. Admire the lurid orange hue. Enjoy with a side of fish fingers if you're feeling fancy.

I admit that it reads poorly, and it's certainly not dinner-party material. But I can assure you that if you need a dinner-cuddle in a hurry then this is for you!

sarahb5, Jan 26, 9:34am
Put the first three ingredients in a saucepan and heat gently while whisking until the sauce is thick enough. Remove from heat and add the last three. Whisk well until cheese melts.

petal1955, Jan 26, 6:06pm
Macaroni Cheese

Makes 4 servings-----

75 g butter------
1 tsp crushed garlic ----
2 cups macaroni---- spirals, sea shells elbows
2 cups boiling water-----
1 cup milk-----
2 cups grated cheese-----
2 tbsp flour------
1 onion finely cut-----
Bacon pieces -------
Brocoli pieces-------
Red pepper diced--------
Sliced tomatoes for topping------
Chopped parsley------
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dry mustard powder -----
Extra grated cheese for topping

*****if you like a crisp topping make it before you cook the macaroni ------
Microwave a mixture of dried or fresh breadcrumbs with 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp chopped parsley and cook for 2-4 minutes stirring after each minute------then set aside-*******

Cut butter in cubes ----- place pasta, chopped onion, bacon, brocoli, garlic and butter in a large dish and add boiling water and cook uncovered on med high power
For 12-15 minutes stirring every 5 mins------- stir in milk ------ cook for 2 min to warm milk----- on a piece of handee towel mix grated cheese with flour, cayenne pepper and dry mustard powder and parsley and stir into the hot pasta mixture----- and microwave on high power for 3-4 minutes.--------

Then place the breacrumb topping on top along with the tomato slices and grated cheese and pop under the griller till crispy

lythande1, Jan 26, 6:26pm
It's awful.
Mine:

Saute 1 chopped onion and 3 rashers of chopped bacon.
Add 1/2 can chopped tomatoes or fresh or puree - whatever.
Make this a sauce.
Meanwhile cook the macaroni.
Mix the sauce into the pasta, then add 1/2 to 1 cup of grated cheese.
Eat.

toadfish, Jan 26, 8:50pm
Toadfishes Macaroni Cheese
Fry 1 onion and 4 rashers of chopped up bacon in 2 tbsp of butter. Add 2-3 tbsp of flour and cook for a minute and add milk to make sauce.
Add 1 tsp of wholegrain mustard and 1 ~ 2 cups of grated edam or colby cheese
Mix through 1 packet of cooked San Remo pasta elbows.
Put in a large oven proof dish and place finely sliced tomatoes on the top and sprinkle with a little grated cheese and a few breadcrumbs.
Bake until golden or if its hot enough just grill to crisp.

I have been making this for years as a cheap way to feed hoards of children - and they all raved about it. There is something about the way it tastes because of the onion and the bacon being cooked in the butter.

rainrain1, Jan 26, 10:56pm
I make mine this way too, it's so good

jallen2, Jan 26, 11:36pm
I saw this on pinterest - haven't tried it myself - but you could probably adjust the amount as its equal amounts of everything. 2 cups pasta, 2 cups milk and 2 cups grated cheddar.
Simmer the pasta in the milk. Once pasta is cooked stir in grated cheese.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/ae/26/5c/ae265c2996eec48ffab8a006c75e7b2e.jpg
Certainly not hard - but if it works it would be a good one for students :-)
And it would work out much cheaper than those awful packet mixes.

I make mine by cooking the pasta in water and making a seperate cheese sauce as sarahb mentioned.
No set recipe, and its really good to master a roux style white sauce so you can combine other flavours. ie parsley, or mustard or of course cheese.
Add the cheese off the heat because if you add it while the sauce is boiling it may curdle.

petal1955, Jan 27, 5:44am
Which recipe are your referring to as "Awful" ?

parsondian, Jan 27, 5:44am
I buy a jar of seriously good carbonara sauce and add to macaroni.

sarahb5, Jan 27, 6:27am
For me any recipe calling itself macaroni cheese falls into the awful category .

toadfish, Jan 27, 8:05am
Its mostly a quick, easy and cheap meal for us. can't say I either love it or hate it - but it fills a gap and my version is one of the better I have tasted and is great to take as left overs to work.

sarahb5, Jan 27, 8:16am
Life's too short for me to keep trying stuff I don't like, especially when there are so many good foods to eat instead

toadfish, Jan 27, 8:22am
Who said you should?

sarahb5, Jan 27, 8:24am
Lots of people have tried over the years to convince that their particular version is yummy - it isn't .

toadfish, Jan 27, 8:32am
Oh ok - well it clearly wasn't me as no mention of yummy.