Macaroni cheese

horsey_grrl, Apr 10, 12:04am
Hi, does any one have a easy recipe for mac cheese, andtasty one.

strange, Apr 10, 12:34am
I go by alison holst one which is really easy and you can just add extra stuff to make it tasty. black pepper. bread crumbs on top. herbs etc

2 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan with 2 tablespoons of flour. heat and whisk until bubbly. add half a cup of milk. wait til it thickens then add another cup and wait til that thickens as well then repeat with one last half cup, Add some grated cheese and take off the heat as soon as you've whisked cheese in. Using a metal hand whisk helps the sauce keep smooth. Then add any extras you want.

mwood, Apr 10, 12:35am
No -yuk Bogan food - lips that have touched Macaroni cheese shall never touch mine.

strange, Apr 10, 12:36am
What is wrong with pasta with a simple - fresh - cheese sauce!

mwood, Apr 10, 1:07am
Nothing wrong with that -but it is the whole ethos of "Macaroni Cheese" that offends my sensitivity *shudders*

elliehen, Apr 10, 1:22am
Then this might amuse you, mwood ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaronic_language

vintagekitty, Apr 10, 1:38am
Yum mac and cheese. I cook pasta. Saute bacon/butter/onion and garlic, add flour, mix, add milk and loads of cheese, I add mustard, chopped parsley mix in cooked pasta pop into the oven with sliced tomatoes and savoury breadcrumbs, top with grated parmesan and cook until brown.

mwood, Apr 10, 2:12am
*faints*

olwen, Apr 10, 2:15am
There was a time when I used to put the milk for macaroni cheese in the top of the double boiler and infuse it with peppercorns, sage and onion, then strain it before making the cheese sauce.It did make it yummy

sarahb5, Apr 10, 2:18am
No idea but I loathe it - macaroni is one pasta I never buy or use because it always, always, always tastes sweet to me.I love cheese sauce, love pasta but will never, ever eat macaroni cheese.My 17 year old loves it but only from a packet!

vintagekitty, Apr 10, 2:31am
Lol!, I am now thinking it will be good on a wet, wintery night like tonight. mwood, what time can we expect you for dinner!

kinna54, Apr 10, 2:37am
Yup mwood:years ago I had phobias about mac cheese after being served bland overcooked pasta in a sticky gloopy sauce.served up in a rib sticking blob that stuck to the spoon.(hospital food).
Then I joined the food trade and discovered how it *should* taste.
Nothing nicer than lightly cooked al dente pasta in a lovely cheesey sauce.
I bring a large pot ofsalted water to the boil, add my pasta, cook 7-9 mins till al dente (firm to the bite)
I cook up a few rashers of bacon, chop it up,and add that with chopped fresh tomatoes and oregano and stir that thru the pasta and cheese sauce.
(Always use a tasty cheese, or a nice colby, and a dash of cayenne and chives really brings out the flavour of a cheese sauce.)
Then I place it in an oven dish, sprinkle cheese and breadcrumbs over the top for a nice crunchy topping, and a couple of mins in the oven until browned. Yum.
To make a cheese sauce from scratch: make your rue: Flour, butter and seasoningsto make a paste, *cook the rue thru otherwise your sauce will be floury and yuk,* then gradually add your milk, whisking thru until you get the right consistency, simmer gentlyto ensure cooked thru again, then add your cheese, stir thru and pour over the pasta straight away.(If cheese sauce is left to stand it will seperate, don't ever add the cheese until the last minute).
Yum!

Yup mwood:years ago I had phobias about mac cheese after being served bland overcooked pasta in a sticky gloopy sauce.served up in a rib sticking blob that stuck to the spoon.(hospital food).
Horsewood:I bring a large pot ofsalted water to the boil, add my pasta, cook 7-9 mins till al dente (firm to the bite)
I cook up a few rashers of bacon, chop it up,and add that with chopped fresh tomatoes and oregano and stir that thru the pasta and cheese sauce.
(Always use a tasty cheese, or a nice colby, and a dash of cayenne and chives really brings out the flavour of a cheese sauce.)
Then I place it in an oven dish, sprinkle cheese and breadcrumbs over the top for a nice crunchy topping, and a couple of mins in the oven until browned. Yum.
To make a cheese sauce from scratch: make your rue: Flour, butter and seasoningsto make a paste, *cook the rue thru otherwise your sauce will be floury and yuk,* then gradually add your milk, whisking thru until you get the right consistency, simmer gentlyto ensure cooked thru again, then add your cheese, stir thru and pour over the pasta straight away.(If cheese sauce is left to stand it will seperate, don't ever add the cheese until the last minute).
Yum!
edited to add: dare I say it, shock horror! At times when my hand are bad I have used the pkt sauce and added chives and cayenne. It is okay.*slinks away to hide her shame*

Horsewood:I bring a large pot ofsalted water to the boil, add my pasta, cook 7-9 mins till al dente (firm to the bite)
Yum!
edited to add: dare I say it, shock horror! At times when my hands are bad I have used the instant pkt sauce (the one where you just add water, not the milk one,) and added chives and cayenne. It is okay.*slinks away to hide her shame*

mwood, Apr 10, 2:39am
Thanks but I'm in Blenheim where it's a nice Summer day today - I'll settle for Crayfish Mornay tonight.

taurus2005, Apr 10, 4:41am
Macaroni cheese done with wholemeal instead of white flour is yum too .

jimmy2102, Apr 10, 6:35am
I sweat off an onion, add a couple or tablespoon flour and a couple of bay leaves, add milk bit by bit,boil, 10 mins. Grill bacon and chop.
Add tasty cheese and some parmesan, grate fresh nutmeg, fold alltogether,
Top with smoked paprika, a little sheese ( had a couple of wines) and bread crumbs. Drizzle a bit of olive oil, and bake in a hot oven until all bubbly and brown.Bloody beauty if i say so myself.

jimmy2102, Apr 10, 6:36am
Oh and i always have chilli flakes with mine, i eat it with any pasta dish.

issymae, Apr 10, 9:28am
alison holsts recipe done in slow cooker is very tasty,just have to keep an eye on time etc