Easy Receipe for Macaroni Cheese

Page 2 / 2
drommy, Jan 28, 5:49am
It's perfect for a student flat!

If the students are feeling flush they could also add diced bacon.

vtired, Jan 28, 10:10pm
Fry 200g bacon in a little oil (1tsp) with a finely chopped med onion and a small clove garlic until bacon starts to caramelise in frypan (Put to side). In another pot add 100-200grams butter and melt, add two tblsps flour (maybe 3) and let cook say two to five min until it starts to only slightly change colour. Add a little milk and mix, when starting to thicken add more milk, when thickening add more until thickness white sauce achieved, add 1tsp colemans mustard, one crumbled cube chick stk, pinch cayenne pepper, coarse ground black pepper, remove from heat and pile in 1 to 3 cups of tasty and edam cheese plus a half cup parmesan cheese, put on low heat to make sure all cheese melted, taste, adjust seasonings. Cook whole pkt macaroni of choice drain and put into dish, add bacon mix and stir in sauce, mix well, sprinkle with breadcrumbs grated cheese (generously) and put into preheated oven 180c for 30 to 40 mins and serve with garlic bread. May not sound easy but it is and it is delicious.

krames, Jan 29, 3:01am
Mine is extremely simply too.
Cook Macaroni (or any pasta) drain and stir through sour cream and grated cheese ! That's it.
Sometimes add things such as ham, bacon, onions, pineapple
My fuss pot son loves it

lucky1989, Jan 29, 8:18am
I saw an interesting recipe on man vs food the other night. it was milk eggs seasonings like mustard powder etc a secret ingredient etc cant remember it all lol. so this was all runny liquid anyways. all mixed in with hot macaroni, then grated cheese mixed in, some melted some didnt. then into a hot oven (didnt have any cheese on top but looked good) and the cheese that hadnt melted kinda was all through it. was served kinda cut out of the tray like lasagne shape.

anyways mine is macaroni and cheese sauce tuna and brocolli.

pugswal, Jan 30, 1:06am
Alison Holst's Streamlined Macaroni cheese is good and easy. I add cooked bacon or ham; cook chopped onion with the macaroni. I have the recipe here if you need it.

bev00, Mar 15, 11:48am
Alison Holst’s SUPER-SPECIAL MACARONI CHEESE
For 4-6 servings:
300g (10½oz) macaroni or other pasta
2 tbsp each of butter and oil
1 tsp curry powder
¼ cup plain flour
3 cups (750ml) milk
1 tbsp Dijon or other mild mustard
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp each of tabasco sauce and grated nutmeg
2 cups grated tasty cheese

Topping:
1-2 tbsp butter
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
½ cup grated tasty cheese

Turn the oven to 180°C (350°F).
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water until tender. Rinse with cold water and leave to drain in a sieve.
Heat the butter and oil in a pot, add the curry powder then the flour and heat until it bubbles. Add the milk, 1 cup at a time, bringing the sauce to the boil and stirring constantly between additions. Stir the
remaining ingredients in thoroughly without reheating. Carefully stir the macaroni and sauce together, and turn into a well-buttered or sprayed 12-cup (3 litre/96 fl oz) capacity ovenproof dish.
For the topping, melt the butter and remove from the heat. Stir in the breadcrumbs and grated cheese, and sprinkle over the surface of the macaroni cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles and the top browns. :-))

Quote245sam (40 ) 12:42 pm, Wed 13 Mar #5

rainrain1, Mar 15, 7:05pm
A bump up for yummy mac cheese!

kirmag, Mar 15, 11:01pm
YUM! well sounds yum to me. My fav sammy is marmite, tom sauce and cheese. Love the sweet tangy taste so can imagine this wod be right up my alley. will give it a go next time im home alone

jynx66, Mar 17, 7:59am
Here's my very simple but delicious macaroni cheese. It doesn't need the macaroni to be cooked first, nor the bacon and onion. Everything gets done at the same time, in the oven:

200g uncooked macaroni
30g butter, melted in the dish you're going to bake it in
200g grated tasty cheese
2 slices bacon finely chopped
1 can evaporated milk
250ml water
2 eggs
1 teaspoon mustard powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
pinch cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 175ºC.
Grease lasagne baking dish, toss uncooked macaroni and melted butter together to coat the macaroni. Add cheese and bacon, and stir lightly to distribute.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, water, eggs, mustard powder, salt, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Pour into the baking dish with the macaroni.
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until the centre is set. Remove from the oven, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

ruby19, Mar 17, 8:36am
This is a fav in our house. I add veggies to the dish.

bev00, Mar 17, 11:16am
comfort food

jbsouthland, Mar 17, 7:28pm
Yum . toad fishes recipe is the one we learnt to make as children .
Mac cheese , pancakes were the first dishes we learnt to cook as children . Sunday night teas and comfort food .

rainrain1, Mar 17, 8:00pm
My Ma used to boil the chopped onion in with the macaroni, and whisked an egg into the sauce before baking. I still have her recipe written somewhere. Recipes of course get added to, and subtracted from over time,

valentino, Dec 17, 11:56pm
This is altered Jamie Oliver's recipe. Using bacon pieces instead of pancetta and reworded slightly.

Does make a huge dish and perhaps may need to divide by two, basically depends on the size of cauliflower. or keep half back, freeze it for later use.

It is very nice.

Jamie Oliver Cauliflower macaroni cheese
2 X 350 gram packets of bacon pieces from Pak’n’Save Chopped smaller
A packet of Brier sticks about 6 in a packet or a small Salami (about 300grams)
1 large head of cauliflower
500g dried macaroni
250g mature Cheddar cheese (Can use grated Tasty or Mild Cheese)
4 thick slices of country bread ( 8 slices of normal Toasted Bread)
Few sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 cloves of garlic
2 x 250g tub of crème fraîche
Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)

Preheat Oven to 220 c.

Cauliflower macaroni:
Lay the bacon pieces in a roasting tray (approx. 30 x 25cm, or large enough to bake the pasta in) and put on the top shelf of the oven and remove when cook/grilled.
Get rid of any tatty outer leaves from the cauliflower, then trim off the tough base of the stalk and quarter the head.
Put in a extra large saucepan, core down in pieces, with the pasta, on a high heat.
Cover with boiling water, filling and reboiling the kettle if necessary for more boiling water.
Season with a good pinch of salt, drizzle over a little olive oil, then stir and cook according to pasta packet instructions, with the lid askew.

Grate the Cheddar in the food processor (or packaged grated cheeses) and tip into a bowl.
Fit the standard blade attachment, then with the brier sticks added and blitz in the processor with the bread, rosemary leaves and a good drizzle of olive oil until you have a coarse bread crumb consistency, (depends on the processor size - may need to do two smaller lots).
Put a colander over a large bowl to catch the pasta water, then drain the pasta and cauliflower.
Tip pasta and cauliflower into the roasting tray with your cooked Bacon still in, add 400ml (or just under a pint) of the reserved pasta water from the bowl.
Gently breaking up the cauliflower with tongs or a potato masher and put on top of bacon pieces. Crush in the 2 unpeeled cloves of garlic and mix in the crème fraîche and grated Cheddar.

Have a taste and correct the seasoning.
It should be nice and loose; if not, add another splash of the pasta water, do not be frighten to do this, just gives great moisture content.
On top of all, spread out evenly and scatter over with the breadcrumb mixture.
Put on the top shelf of the oven for about 8minutes, or until golden and bubbling.

To serve:
When the cauliflower macaroni is golden and bubbling, take it to the table and shave over or sprinkle some Parmesan.