Hard Honey

mike16, Jul 7, 7:11am
Athritis hurts my wrists when trying to scrape hard honey from the pot.
I can buy liquid honey which is very messy. Ok to M/wave the pot?
Any ideas, please ?

wildflower, Jul 7, 7:20am
Just put it somewhere warm, hot water cupboard?

griffo4, Jul 7, 7:32am
hot water cupboard is best to make it soft enough to use

standard, Jul 7, 9:02am
Tried the HW cupboard, didn't help. so use MW

kaddiew, Jul 7, 9:42am
I put the pot in the microwave, just for a few seconds. It works well.

245sam, Jul 7, 9:46am
or alternatively put the hot of honey in hot, not boiling, water. :-))

245sam, Jul 7, 10:03am
oops, typo - that should read. alternatively put the Pot of honey in hot, not boiling, water. :-))

whitehead., Jul 7, 9:55pm
have you thought of a bowl scraper to scrap your honey they are found in farmers and good cooking shops and you hold them with your whole hand rather than a knife or spoon . also check out shops for the disabled they have lots of things to help you . you could ring crippled childrens and ask them where to find them .i find people like that very helpful . your doctor should be able to help you as well

mike16, Jul 7, 10:11pm
Thank you to you all . prob try hot water cupboard.
Thx, whitehead . for your detailed reply .
Kind wishes to you all !

deus701, Jul 7, 11:14pm
30/40 seconds in microwave.

i do the sme for butter too

kaddiew, Jul 7, 11:45pm
That too. : )

sarahb5, Jul 8, 10:21am
Same here - butter I do on 50% power though.

sarahb5, Jul 8, 10:22am

lynja, Jul 8, 7:09pm
I always gently squeeze the honey pots before I buy. Amazing that for some reason some are soft while others hard, same type and brand.

mtbotrev, Jul 9, 12:40am
mine woudlnt last 5 mins with ants around. I just microwave it. same as peanut butter to get that more spreadable.

illusion_, Jul 9, 1:50am
Hope it all worked out for. May I ask however just what brand and type of honey you found hard? The runny style I find great for some things. but I've not been able to find good hard honey for years.

buzzy110, Mar 29, 9:02am
I always thought creamed honey went hard.

I don't like creamed honey. I much prefer raw honey which is soft but not runny. You just have to watch that it isn't allowed to get too warm for a longish period (like over summer) because it goes "grainy" which I don't mind at all.

Ants are always a problem in Auckland and I spend a lot of time working out how to keep them away. For honey I put the container into another sealed container with an o-ring like a Klip It container or similar before storing in the cupboard.