How to use extra cucumbers

camelia78, Feb 20, 8:49am
Last year friend and I made a lovely pickle with them but it got very watery the longer it was kept can anyone help with this problem please?

jan2242, Feb 20, 10:04am
I make a basic bread & butter pickle that doesn't seem to alter.

cgvl, Feb 20, 10:17am
I made a bread and butter type pickle and hasn't gone watery but I did slice the cucumber thinly with a vegetable peeler.

deanna14, Feb 20, 11:39pm
I have them coming out my ears, note 5 plants is 3-4 too many for a family where I am the only one who eats them. (And I can do one a day) Too many pickles left from last year, giving away about 50 a week!

jan2242, Feb 21, 12:48am
Have you tried cooking them? Digby Law recipes. I love the pan-fried recipe which taste nothing like raw cucumbers

Sweet-Sour Cucumber Sauce for fish.
1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 rip tomato, peeled and quartered
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp vinegar
oil

Combine cucumber, tomato, brown sugar, soy sauce and vinegar in a pan with a little oil. Slowly cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Season to taste. Serve hot. Serves 4

Pan-Fried Cucumbers
Peel 3 large cucumbers and cut lengthwise slices of equal thickness. Wip dry and dredge them I'm well seasoned flour. Cover the bottom of a fringe pan with butter, bring to boiling point and brown the cucumbers. Drain and serve. Goes well with steaks. Serves 6

whitehead., Feb 21, 8:18am
always use plain salt for pickling

whitehead., Feb 8, 11:59pm
soak in salt for a couple of hours or over night to get the water out before making pickle should fix the water tip the water off and wash before using