Cucumbers..taste old...

korbo, Jan 4, 8:51am
Are the cucumbers we buy at supermarket or vegy gardens grown in NZ and are they this years. The ones in plastic. Have bought a few lately and they dont seem to have the crunch or the flavour, seem very kinda limp, keep mine in fridge
Could they be hothouse ones. or from Aussie..???
I know...I should grow my own.....lol

nfh1, Jan 4, 10:02am
I bought a cucumber today from a local grower - it was awful.It was not a telegraph one, it was smaller and fatter - and horrid.

gerry64, Jan 4, 10:08am
Korbo the cucumbers over here in Oz are great - so are the lettuce taste just like my Dad used to grow in his garden at Bay View -maybe your cucumbers are coming from China -

korbo, Jan 4, 6:37pm
gerry, please dont even let me read *cucumbers made in china..*..it is bad enough that some watties products now say on the tin, product of china.
Did your dad have his own personal garden, or a big market garden.
Sure miss those trips to bayview to get vegys. Only one there now, and a few little ones. Pakowhai rd, remember the fruit and vegy stalls, seem to be diminishing now.
I will keep looking for cool cucumbers.......

cookessentials, Jan 4, 9:17pm
I would imagine they would be NZ ones. it may be to do with how much water they have had in the growing phase perhaps. Small short ones could be the Lebanese which are usually really nice. I am waiting for mine to grow large enough, but have the Lebanese, and an apple cucumber this year.

uli, Jan 5, 12:10am
Maybe too many residues?

" ... It was unacceptable that 94 per cent of fruit and vegetable samples contained traces of pesticides and NZFSA was wrong when it said that no samples contained levels dangerous to human health, she said.
It was particularly disturbing that 11 out of 23 cucumber samples contained residues of the banned chemical endosulfan.
"If we are going to be importing endosulfan-containing food from countries such as Australia, then the food should be labelled with country of origin so that buyers can avoid it," she said...."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz-imports/news/article.cfm?c_id=232&objectid=10661868 "...Australian tomatoes are dipped in the toxic insecticide dimethoate but New Zealand tomatoes aren't. Dimethoate cannot be removed by washing and has been linked to disruption of reproductive function, chromosomal aberrations, immune system damage, disruption of the endocrine system and the nervous system...."
http://www.greens.org.nz/factsheets/country-origin-labelling-factsheet-0

gerry64, Jan 5, 11:25am
No korbo my Dad just had a huge back yard garden but you would be surprised what Woolworths/Countdown are bringing in from China-I am buying the most beautiful tomataoes from the Farmers Market over here lovely big vine tomatoes for 99c kilo - I wonder if I ask the grower if he sprays them with the insecticide you quote uli he will me answer me honestly -must say all the fruit and vegies I am getting are really good quality for a reasonable price - the fruit tastes like real fruit -the berries have been superb -but with the flooding in Queensland the prices are sure to soar -

korbo, Jan 6, 8:58am
gerry, yes my dad had a big backyard gerden. now i look back and realise how much money they saved by growing own.
toms on vine here have been around $2.97kg.
my sis in brisy, is always saying fruit and vegs and meat is so expensive. wish she would come home......
interesting about the insecticide...you really dont know what is on/in our food sometimes.
still looking for the crisp cucumber tho.