Cucumbers

gaimon, Mar 19, 2:22am
Could someone please advise me how to keep cucumbers crisp. We have an one plant that has gone mad, producing at least four fruit every couple of days.
TIA

buzzy110, Mar 19, 3:19am
This probably would not suit you but I used to put mine whole, in brine with fresh grape leaves. Had to eat them within a couple of months but they stayed crisp and like they were freshly picked.

gaimon, Mar 19, 4:29am
Thanks. But not quite what I was wanting.

245sam, Mar 20, 7:38am
This probably is not what you're wanting either gaimon but because you have an abundance of cucumbers, have you considered having cucumber as a hot vegetable for a change?

HOT CUCUMBER
2 cucumbers, peeled – optional if telegraph/Lebanese cucumbers
2 onions
1 tsp sugar
2 cups water
25g butter
2 tbsp flour
¼ cup milk
salt and pepper

Cut the cucumbers into 1 centimetre thick slices. Peel and slice the onions. Put both into a saucepan with the sugar and water. Boil gently until the onion is soft. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid, and keep warm.
Melt the butter in a saucepan. When sizzling, stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and the milk. Cook, stirring steadily until thick. Season well. Arrange the cucumber and onion in a dish, pour over the hot sauce and serve hot.
Serves 4-5. :-))

gaimon, Oct 12, 7:14am
Thanks for the information.
Cheers.