Anyone got any good SWAN recipes?

twelve12, May 5, 9:45am
We have 2 swan breasts, and no idea what to do with them.
Any ideas?

kirmag, May 5, 10:04am
Find thistle from general. I remember her saying she likes swan. well I think it was her.

lilyfield, May 5, 10:51am
I would cook them like duck

agens, May 6, 1:50am
Yes I have but I will have to get the recipe book tonight. My gran's Aunt Daisy book. I had it rebound. Back to you soon.

fey, May 6, 2:34am
I didn't like it last time I had it, meat tasted muddy.

However, I would halve them then cook them like duck breasts. Its likely there is not much fat on them if they are wild so you might need to watch the cooking time to make sure they don't dry out. Let the meat rest before serving.

leebee35, May 6, 7:11am
we ate this on the Chathams as a kid. I remember there being bullet pellets in the meat. it is a rich yummy meat don't over cook it!

twelve12, May 6, 7:15am
Thanks people :) spoke to dad last night and he agreed that cooking it like duck is probably the best.

I'm brining it at the moment to get rid of that gamey flavour. I'm not a big fan of that pond-water taste either.

freesia, May 6, 8:25am
I 'd do it in a slow cooker.

awoftam, May 6, 8:37am
Just found this on the web, sounds interesting. as did another site that said many people state swan tastes like mud, which is what fey said on their post above.

Whatever you cook let us know how it went and what you thought of it

To serve four
2 Black Swan breasts,
They are normally between 300and 400g each
A sprinkle of olive oil and wine
1 onion
A dash of cooking oil
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
1/3 cup raisins
1 lemon
2 teaspoons gravy mix
Trim the breasts and cut across into five to six pieces, cut the end pieces a little thicker so that all the pieces are around the same weight. Gently tap each piece out a little with a light meat mallet, the back of a knife is fine, just to shape into nice little medallion steaks. Put them into a dish, sprinkle over the oil and wine, a generous grind of black pepper, cover with cling film and chill until required.
Peel off the lemon rind and cut into thin strips, add a cup of boiling water to the raisins and put in the lemon rind and a little squeeze of juice. Dice the onions, fry a minute or two in a small saucepan, add the spices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the raisins water and lemon, simmer until it has reduced and the onions are soft, around fifteen minutes. Add a dessert spoon of water to the gravy mix and stir into the onions to combine, season to taste.
Preheat a heavy pan or barbecue flat top, place on the steaks and cook a couple of minutes on each side, rest in a warm place for 5 -10 minutes, serve with the spiced onions.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/entertainment/chicken-is-not-the-only-bird--swan-and-goose-recipes-2009063015#ixzz3ZFdywpXU

agens, May 7, 7:30am
Aunt Daisy. "First immerse the swam in scalding water (not quite boiling) for 5mins. Pluck feathers and cut the wings off to the first joint. Stuff with ordinary sage and onion stuffing. Put in a large pot 1/4 full of boiling water and steam for 2hours. Take out, flour well and put in to the oven with dripping in a baking dish. Bake of an hours and brown nicely. There is also a recipe for 'Quail on Toast' Lets hope our grandmothers didn't have to catch them too.

punkinthefirst, Aug 16, 5:01pm
My sympathies.
Can you guess I'm not a game fan? . And my late husband was a hunter. My son still hunts game birds and venison, and has most of it made into sausages, which are actually quite acceptable, even to me!
Edited to add that one practical class amongst many when I trained as a chef was in boning out and stuffing quail. Quite a useful skill to have, if you do the same thing to larger birds like chickens - makes them really easy to carve.