Lambs Kidneys - Tried a true recipes please.

toadfish, Mar 31, 6:35pm
Morning everyone.
I recieved a bag of these with a whole lamb that I brought. I have never really cooked kidneys - except the occasional steak and kidney that I brought from the supermarket as the price was good. I hate waste and they have been sitting in the freezer taunting me, so I am going to give it a whirl.Have found the following Delia recipe on google. so unless I hear better will try that.I also found mention of a Jamie Oliver recipe - but couldn't find the actual recipe anywhere - so if anyone has tried that let me know.Thanks in advance - JB

toadfish, Mar 31, 6:37pm
Delia Smith - Lambs Kidneys in Red WIne.

6 small lambs' kidneys
10 fl oz (275 ml) red wine
2 oz (50 g) butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 rashers unsmoked bacon, de-rinded and chopped
12 oz (350 g) dark-gilled mushrooms
1 level tablespoon flour
½ level teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
salt and freshly milled black pepper

Begin by melting the butter in a pan and softening the onion and garlic in it for 5 minutes. After that add the chopped bacon and the mushrooms, and cook for a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the kidneys: cut them in half and remove the skins, then snip out the cores with a pair of kitchen scissors.
Now add the halved kidneys to the pan and cook them to colour a little, stirring them around the pan. Next sprinkle in the flour and stir it to soak up the juices, then add the thyme and pour in the red wine. Bring the whole lot to simmering point; season with salt (not too much, because of the bacon) and pepper. Then cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Then remove the lid and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
This recipe is taken from Delia Smith’s Complete Cookery Course and Delia Smith’s Complete Illustrated Cookery Course.

This goes very well with some basmati rice cooked with onion, or else with some very creamy mashed potato.

toadfish, Mar 31, 6:40pm
Delia Smith - Kidney Stroganoff

12 lambs' kidneys, skinned
1 medium onion
2 1/2 oz (60g) butter
8 oz (225g) mushrooms
5 fl oz (150ml) carton soured cream
salt and freshly milled black pepper
freshly grated nutmeg

This recipe is taken from Delia's Frugal Food

Method

Begin by peeling the onion and slicing it into very thin rings. Now slice the rings in half and separate them to give you moon-shaped slivers. Melt 2oz (50g) of the butter in a large frying pan and gently soften the onion in it for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, wipe the mushrooms, slice the stalks and caps thinly, then add them to the onion, stirring them around, and cook for a further 5 minutes. The kidneys should be first skinned and the cores snipped out then cut into the thinnest slices possible. Turn the heat up under the pan, add the kidney slices and brown them quickly, constantly turning the pieces over.

Now turn the heat right down and stir in the soured cream, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and let everything simmer very gently for 5 minutes.

Just before serving, stir in the remaining butter, then serve immediately with plain boiled rice.

toadfish, Mar 31, 6:43pm
Devilled Kidneys - From NZ Beef & Lamb

Serves 3-4

Ingredients
12 Quality Mark lamb's kidneys
50g butter
3 tablespoons flour
3-4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
250g mushrooms, sliced
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 cups beef stock or water
1/4 cup port
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon freshly chopped Italian parsley

Method

Halve the kidneys and cut away the core. Slice thinly.

Heat the butter in a frying pan and when hot add the sliced kidneys. As you put them in spread them quite evenly but do not stir. (Note: if the pan and butter are not really hot when the kidneys are added they will stew, no brown.)

Let the kidneys cook in the butter for 30 secods. Toss to quickly cook the other side but no longer than 2 minutes in total or they will be tough. Lift the kidneys out with a slotted spoon andset aside.

Reduce the heat and add the flour to the pan, stir well then add the mustard, mushrooms and curry powder. Gradually stir in the beef stock or water, port and tomato paste and continue stirring to make a smooth sauce. Return the kidneys to the pan and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve over toasted focaccia, ciabatta or French bread, sprinkled with fresh herbs.

lythande1, Mar 31, 7:02pm
So why don't you just make steak and kidney then, if you normally buy it!

toadfish, Mar 31, 8:03pm
Hello "Ray of sunshine" you have such a lovley communication style.
I have only occaisonally brought a tray from the supermarket with some cubed beef and some sliced kidneys (it was reduced to clear if the truth be known) & yes I made bog standard Steak & Kidney - wasn't that impressed to be honest.

What I have in the freezer is completely different. I have whole kidneys and much more of them.
The reason I asked for ideas is that I want to try something different and hopefully something that tastes nicer.
So please, if you don't have some friendly positive advice. don't feel the need to"help" me.

beaker59, Mar 31, 9:15pm
The kidney in steak and Kidney is generally Ox Kidney it cooks differently and is stronger flavoured than Sheeps kidneys. Ox Kidneys take allot more cooking so are ideal for stewing whereas Sheeps ones are tenderer and milder flavoured.

Sheeps Kidneys should be cooked to a minimum like a medium or for the brave medium rare steak (I like a bit of pink in the center of mine), overcooking makes them tough and rubbery. When it comes to coring Some people hack the center out of them which is quite unneccesary all you are doing is removing the hard vein at the center I just pinch the vein and slice carefully around the tip of my fingers you shouldn't be removing any but the tiniest bit of the pink meat.

Easiest way is to just fry them and serve with bacon and eggs for an English breakfast. Lots of HP sauce :)

My usual way is to cut them in half the long way then fast fry them to rare remove from pan and put aside then brown some sliced onions in butter with a teaspoon of flour(roux) then make gravy with port and water and salt and pepper when gravy is ready add the kidneys back in over the heat (with the juices that have run out of them in the meantime) stir for about30 seconds and serve. An alternative to Port is water and home made plum jam you want that fruity ness and a touch of sweetness.

sarahb5, Mar 31, 9:21pm
Devilled kidneys on toast

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/517357

Haven't actually used this recipe but my mum used to make something very similar - haven't seen lambs kidneys for sale separately in this country

beaker59, Mar 31, 9:27pm
Which country are you in then virtually every butcher and supermarket in NZ has them.

bernice1, Mar 31, 11:02pm
I make this version, it's a Hugh fearnley-Whittingstall recipe

devilled kidneys

4 very fresh lambs' kidneys, cut into quarters with the whitish core trimmed
a small glass sherry
1 tbs white wine or cider vinegar
1 tsp redcurrant jelly
a few good shakes Worcestershire sauce
a good pinch cayenne pepper
1 tbs English mustard
1 tbs double cream
salt, black pepper
heat a little oil in a small frying pan, add the kidneys and brown for a minute, tossing occasionally. Add a generous slosh of sherry, let it bubble for a moment, and follow up with a more modest splash of wine or cider vinegar. Add the redcurrant jelly and stir to dissolve. Then add the Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, mustard, and plenty of black pepper. Season with a pinch of salt, add double cream, bubble for another minute or two, shaking the pan occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and nice and glossy. Taste for piquancy, and add more cayenne and black pepper if you like.

serve with fried bread to give a bit of crunch and mop up the sauce, or, for a more substantial supper dish, with plain boiled rice and a crisp green salad.

sarahb5, Mar 31, 11:15pm
Really!I shop online and have never seen them listed

beaker59, Apr 1, 3:28am
Try real life :)

petal1955, Apr 1, 4:48am
SHERRIED KIDNEYS

1-2 Servings
2 lambs kidneys
25g butter
1 tablespoon of oil
1 clove of garlic
1 onion finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
¾ cup of sherry
any freshly chopped herbs(parsley, basil, chives,)
Bacon chopped finely.

Halve kidney lengthwise.Remove the core and fat from kidney and slice finely 3-4 mm thick. Rinse with cold water and dry on paper towels.

Heat butter and oil in pan on high heat and cook bacon and kidney for 30-60 secs and the pinkness has gone from the kidney.Remove from pan and set aside.Add some more oil and gently cook the onion and garlic till the onion is soft and straw coloured.Then turn up the heat and sprinkle in the flour till it is all absorbed and starting to coloured gradually add your sherry stirring well to prevent lumps. Lower the heat and return the kidney and bacon to the pan to heat through.Serve on toast and enjoy!

kay141, Apr 1, 5:03am
Where do you shop online! I have seen them listed at various places where I shop online.

mwood, Apr 1, 6:15am
My grandmother taught me to dice the lambs kidneys, put them in the pot, cover with water, bring to a simmer, add salt pepper then thicken with cornflour and serve over buttered toast. Beautiful clean natural flavours.

You can also add a dash of sherry and thicken with arrowroot for a more refined clearer gloss version.

toadfish, Apr 1, 7:55am
Thanks everyone for all your input - will let you know what I decide and how the family enjoyed it. must say I am tending towards the stroganoff.

toadfish, Apr 1, 7:56am
Thanks for clarifying that - I thought that was the case but didn't want to show my offal ignorance.

petal1955, Apr 1, 7:24pm
Well put "Toady".

This poster along with some others seem to love the sarcastic approach

sarahb5, Apr 2, 4:17am
Sorry - no time or inclination for supermarket shopping - better things to do

sarahb5, Apr 2, 4:18am
Only some!Some days they seem to be in the majority to be honest