Recipes For Apple Jelly?

gypsy271, Mar 19, 6:53am
Hi all.I have a heap of cooking apples so would love some recipes for apple jelly if anyone has one. I remember years ago you used to be able to buy Burrows Apple Jelly but it was taken off the shelf :-((

jia5, Mar 19, 8:24am
Found this by googling, might have a go at it myself. (Minus the caterpillars lol)

Apple jelly
Jellies don't need a recipe. You just roughly chop the apples, put them in a large preserving pot and cover (that's just covered, no more) with water and bring to the boil. Simmer until soft enough to mash with a potato masher and leave to cool.

Put everything into a large jelly bag (multiple layers of fine muslin supported by a sieve or strainer, will do) and hang the bag suspended over a large bowl or bucket to collect the juice. Don't squeeze the bag.

Measure the juice by the jugful, into your washed preserving pan and bring to the boil again. Slowly add an equal amount of sugar (a bit less, if you don't like your jellies too sweet), letting it return to the boil as the sugar is added. You can add the juice of a lemon, if the apples were overly ripe. Unripe or tart apples will have enough pectin in them, so won't need added lemon juice.

Boil (take care the jelly doesn't overflow the pot) until a small amount of the jelly placed on a cold saucer (put in the fridge), forms a skin as it cools. It won't take very long, if your fruit isn't too ripe.

Once it reaches this stage, allow to cool a little (skimming the froth off the outer edge of the jelly, so that it is nice and clear) and laddle into warmed clean jars. Choose jars with sealing lids (old jam jars from the supermarket) that you can put the lids on tight, while the jelly is hot and it will seal as it cools. You will hear the click as the lid bows inwards when the jelly cools enoughs to make a suction.

This jelly method can be used with any fruit and is especially good for windfalls that you don't want to peel. Most of the pectin is in the skin and the seeds, so its good to throw the whole lot in. Even a few catepillars won't be a problem as all the contents are strained anyway. Lemon juice can be added to any fruit, to help with the setting.

If you ever make guava jelly, only boil for a very short time after the sugar is added (use half the amount of sugar) as it sets really easily.

gypsy271, Mar 20, 11:28am
bumping for any other recipes :-)

bella95, Mar 20, 12:48pm
Just made Quince and apple jelly. Love the flavour of quince but don't like the 'grittiness' so jelly is perfect. Don't 'waste' good fruit making jelly though. I wanted to use the flesh from the quinces for juice and I always use the inside of the apples or other fruit for a crumble or a pie and the peels and cores for jelly. Two bangs for your buck that way too.
My handy preserving hints are;
Turn a chair upsidedown put it on the table, put a rolling pin, thick pole or broom handle across the cross braces that are between the legs of the chair, put your pot on the underside of the chair seat and hang your jelly bag (Have read that you can use a clean and boiled pillowcase as a jelly bag too.) from your stick or rolling pin. I always do this overnight as it's easier to resist the temptation to squeeze if I'm not there and it gives it a good long time for the juice to drip out.
When I'm ready to start I put my clean dry jars in the oven at 120 C for 30 minutes. It sterilizes them and they can be filled straight from the oven with no danger of cracking as they're the same temperature as the jely/jam. Boil the lids for 5 minutes and drain them on a bread board. They can be put in the oven too but I find that then they're too hot to pick up and it makes them hard to screw on. Doesn't take long to make jelly so I usually don't start 'til the jars've been at 120 for about 15 minutes. Measure the juice, bring it to the boil for 5 minutes, warm the sugar before adding to the juice then bring it back to a rapid boil. This gives the jelly/jam the best colour. Start testing around 10 minutes. When the jars are filled put them on the bread board to cool down as less risk of them cracking than on a cold surface like a sink or stove top.
Have fun!

iamkat, Mar 22, 8:09am
I made this yesterday and I had quite a number of green apples in my mix - it took HOURS to get to the gel stage - I even added lemon juice and in the end some pectin mix - what the hell went wrong ! even now its still a very soft gel - and its a real deep amber colour not the traditional light golden brown

harrislucinda, Mar 22, 8:15am
samei havejustmadeapplejelly fromcox,sorangeTook awhile to setbutgot therein the endandyummm

gypsy271, Mar 22, 8:36am
Have you got a recipe!

iamkat, Mar 24, 10:34am
I have just made a new batch using half and half pears and apples - tastes fantastic looks a beautiful colour and set without problem - although I did have to cook it for way longer than normal but I didnt have to use lemon juice or pectin this time

poster number two has put a easy to follow recipe - its the one I used

harrislucinda, Mar 24, 7:51pm
justcutupandsliceapplesinpan3/4panof waterbutdonycoverapplescook
untiltenderthenmash
putintoamuslintostrainbutdontsquezze
then1cupofjuiceto1cupsugarthenboil
testasinjamthenjarup

guest, Jan 11, 11:21am
That's the best answer by far! Thanks for contgibutinr.

guest, Jan 13, 2:22pm
Hey very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bkomoark your site and take the feeds alsoa1KI am satisfied to seek out a lot of helpful information right here within the publish, we want develop more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .