Gluten free main course and dessert -

maximus44, Mar 8, 3:20am
I have just found out that one of my visitors coming next week suffers from coeliac disease and is gluten free.
I realise anything with wheat in it is not good but is there anything else I should be avoiding! Thank you for any responses.

cookessentials, Mar 8, 3:26am
Hi maximus, you could try the gluten free living site which has recipes
http://www.glutenfreeliving.co.nz/

auntlb, Mar 8, 3:42am
I would just cook simple meat and vege style meal - you have to watch any marinades and sauces ets as many have gluten in.My GF friend likes pavlova when I make it for dessert - I use white vinegar not malt and GF conrflour.Served with whipped cream (if adding icing sugar make sure it is GF also)

davidt4, Mar 8, 4:09am
If you avoid packaged food and grains there is no need to worry.Cook something from scratch with real food - meat, fish, vegetables, eggs, butter, olive oil, lemon juice.Steak, roasted kumara, a big salad of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber.Accompany the steak with blue cheese, or Bearnaise Sauce or a garlic, olive oil and tarragon dressing.Dress the salad with a vinaigrette made with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.Check vinegars carefully as I believe some may contain traces of gluten.

For dessert - poached fresh peaches, plums, pears, apples, whatever is in the best condition.Serve with whipped cream, toasted flaked almonds on top.

maximus44, Mar 8, 4:20am
Thank you so much for your replies.

literacybooks, Mar 8, 9:20am
I agree with doinga roast! Use cornflour (maize not wheaten) and Massel stock cubes from most supermarkets. Pavlova for dessert but use white wine vinegar and not malt. Watch how you prepare stuff. My daughter is coeliac and we have separate utensils but at very least make sure there is no contamination from other stuff. Check out NIgella's flourless GF brownie recipe on the web -great with fresh berries and cream/icecream/natural yoghurt. A decadent dessert but lovely.

The following link may help. You are a great host by the way for doing this. When friends parents find out my daughter is coeliac she has been univited for tea or I have to make her a separate meal to take with her! Your visitor will really appreciate your efforts.

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-lifestyle/the-gluten-free-diet