Suet(shreddo) and Butter

marywea, Dec 19, 8:18pm
I needlessly bought Shreddo thinking it was in my Mother's Plum Duff-it wasn't. Rang Cerebos who found a conversion rate on the web for me-"if using suet instead of butter, reduce ammount by 20-25%." Decided not to risk it. She told me they were not producing Shreddo anymore so anyone who uses it should perhaps stock up if they can still find it.
Ihave done quite a bit of "googling" for ways to use it as I don't like waste, but I would be interested to hear of recipes you have used where you prefer Shreddo. Thank-you.

esther-anne, Dec 19, 9:05pm
If you make stew and dumplings make the dumplings with shreddo(I use 4ozs plain flour/2ozs shredded suet,2 tsps baking powder/ pinch of salt, enough water to make a soft dough.Roll into small balls. Pop into the gently simmering stew and cover with a lid (don't lift the lid at all - and 15/20 minutes later the lightest fluffiest dumplings) -

I also make what we from Lancashire call 'potato pie'-very basic, simply , as it says, cubed beef (cross cut blade is great) potatoes and onions slow cooked in the oven.When all tender it has a pastry crust placed over the top - and I use precisely the same ingredients as for dumplings.But when baked, the crust comes out brown and beautifully crisp.

I'm disappointed to know the Shreddo is being discontinued - I don't use it a lot but I always have some in the fridge for my Pommie food!

245sam, Dec 19, 9:48pm
marywea, this is not a use for your Shreddo but a suggestion for what you could do with the Shreddo in the meantime - maybe until after the rush of Christmas or until it again is stew and dumplings time of the year i.e. freeze it - it will not keep indefinitely in the refrigerator but freezes well and is useful to have on hand for when making dumplings, suet pastry, etc.

Hope that helps.:-))

esther-anne, Dec 20, 6:36am
that helps me too 245sam - thanks a lot. I wasn't aware it would freeze.Perhaps in measured amounts in several suitable containers do you think!

245sam, Dec 20, 7:29am
You're most welcome esther-anne.I'm not sure where I got the to-freeze idea from (it may have been here on the MB) but I learnt the hard way that Shreddo doesn't keep indefinitely in the refrigerator - in fact it goes mouldy - such a waste and I was so annoyed and disappointed.

I haven't used Shreddo for a while but I do have a tub of it in the freezer waiting for me to again need it.I decided that that was the safest way to be sure that I had some available for when I wanted it for dumplings which is what I usually use it for.

Re:"Perhaps in measured amounts in several suitable containers do you think!"
As I indicated above I just put the whole tub directly from the supermarket into the freezer but if you consistently require the same quantity each time and would find it more convenient to have measured portions of Shreddo in the freezer then yes, by all means, do it that way - at least you'll know that it's there and ready for whenever you need it.

245sam, Dec 20, 7:29am
You're most welcome esther-anne.I'm not sure where I got the to-freeze idea from (it may have been here on the MB) but I learnt the hard way that Shreddo doesn't keep indefinitely in the refrigerator - in fact it goes mouldy - such a waste and I was so annoyed and disappointed.

I haven't used Shreddo for a while but I do have a tub of it in the freezer waiting for me to again need it.I decided that that was the safest way to be sure that I had some available for when I wanted it for dumplings which is what I usually use it for.

Re:"Perhaps in measured amounts in several suitable containers do you think!"
As I indicated above I just put the whole tub directly from the supermarket into the freezer but if you consistently require the same quantity each time and would find it more convenient to have measured portions of Shreddo in the freezer then yes, by all means, do it that way - at least you'll know that it's there and ready for whenever you need it.

All the best.:-))

greg.n.michelle, Dec 20, 9:43am
besides pastry I have also used it in the filling of mince pies the fruit type
and it was really nice in that, again dumplings esp in crockpots.

gardie, Dec 20, 5:53pm
We use shreddo in our Christmas Meallie Pudding which is a mix of oatmeal, onions and shreddo seasoned and boiled in a pudding cloth as a side to poultry dishes.Christmas just isn't the same without Meallie pudding(our Scottish heritage) so I'm going to get some to pop in the freezer.Thanks for the heads up marywea.It keeps for a couple of years in there - have tried it.Its too expensive to have it go off and we only use it at christmas time.