Pre xmas lunch.ideas for nibbles please

marleybonz, Nov 20, 8:06am
15 adults.4 children. aiming to have lunch 1pm. People arriving thru out late morning. I really hate chips and dip!

marleybonz, Nov 20, 9:28am
its a special xmas-partner been in spinal unit for 6 mths. He is allowed home for Xmas day. He is 70yrs old-so children and grandchildren will be there.I want to make it a special day.be his 2nd outing since accident.

asue, Nov 20, 8:22pm
Wow this is going to be very special.Maybe just big platters of cheese and crackers, pate, dips, french bread, and fruit platters with xmas goodies(truffles, mini mince pies), not too much as don't want to ruin dinner.Enjoy your special time with family.

basenjibabe, Nov 20, 11:13pm
Blini with various toppings!

tigerlilly16, Nov 21, 9:20am
here's some ideas from Martha Stewart ;) http://www.marthastewart.com/856473/20-years-living-best-christmas-appetizers/@center/276958/holiday-entertaining#231949
Well I think the making 3 different cheese-balls from one base and the spiced nuts are good ideas, you can decide on the others ;)

shaddo, Nov 21, 9:25am
those yummy little pikelets with toppings, old fashioned asparagus rolls, cheeses, fruit sticks, mini sausages, skewers (can buy a huge variety and just cook up to have cold, like chicken, shrimp, beef), club sammys, savoury scones

ldbaqbeak, Nov 21, 9:28am
Some healthy & refreshing options are good to have - stops people overindulging, not eating the main meal, and feeling gross from sugary fatty snacks.
Put out plates of strawberries, Bowls of freshly picked peas in the pod or snow peas, and carrot sticks with hummus.
I know it's christmas and people do overindulge, but healthy snacks always go down a treat too.

valentino, Nov 21, 10:27pm
Do a nice platter or two.

One with some cheese logs (rotate it as it is eaten via more from the fridge) with a nice variety of crackers and the odd pickles.

The other with say slithers of smoked salmon or other nice meats cold but ideal for this including other types of smoked fish or marinated sprats, pickled gherkins, roasted capsicums marinated, artichoke pickled pieces, sliced pickled onions, etc with slices of toasted french rolls or fingers of special toasted breads.

Would keep most fruits for the main desserts and afterwards along with other specialties like cake etc.

One year, my son had a Choc fountain for this part and everyone thoroughly enjoyed that after treats including marshmallows along with pieces of fresh fruit.

Editing to add my Cheese log Favourite.

Cheese Log

60gcreamcheese,
1 tablespoon sour cream,
1/3 cup mayonnaise (Best, Edmonds Egg or Highlander Mayo is best),
200 g grated tasty cheese,
60g salami finely chopped,
2 gherkins finely chopped,
2 spring onions,
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives,
2/3 cup chopped nuts,
vegetable sticks, lettuce leaves& crackers to serve,
fresh herbs to garnish.

Beat cream cheese, sour cream & mayonnaise in a small bowl until smooth.
Stir in cheese, salami, gherkins, spring onions& chives, mix well.
Shape mixture into a log / logs, roll in nuts.Wraplog/s in foil, refrigerate several hours or overnight until firm.
Serve Cheese Logs with vegetable sticks, lettuce leaves & crackers. Garnish with fresh herbs.

Cheers

terachaos, Nov 21, 10:33pm
One of the easiest and tastiest is feta dip and smoked salmon on slices of cucumber instead of crackers etc. Can add some capers or pickled ginger works well too.