Homemade Sicilian ice cream - no egg yolk

flower-child01, Oct 27, 9:45pm
x1
Last weekend I made this ice cream after coming across an article of a cornstarch (cornflour) based ice cream. I googled further and came across sicilian ice cream, made with milk and no cream and using cornflour as the base to stop ice crystals from forming. The taste was out of this world, it was like having sex, even better. It was like bought vanilla ice cream but far far better. I won't be going back to egg yolk based ice creams. Plus this one has less calories, making it even more appealing.

horizons_, Oct 27, 9:56pm
x1
Sounds good. How about posting the recipe or a link to it please.

grouch, Oct 28, 9:45am
x1
Yes please where is the recipe!

donna23, Oct 28, 6:28pm
x1
Recipe please!

mumstu, Oct 28, 7:23pm
x1
ditto from me.recipe.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 28, 7:30pm
x1
No eggs! No cream! Those are the best bits aren't they! Looking forward to see this recipe. Is like gelato!

bedazzledjewels, Oct 28, 7:51pm
x1
Forgot to proof-read - sorry about that!
Did you need to use an icecream maker!

dreamers, Oct 28, 7:53pm
x1
I deleted my link as I realized it had 1 egg yolk in it ,but I just googled and came up with loads of recipes and there was 1 with the cornflower and no eggs.

flower-child01, Oct 28, 9:59pm
x1
Sicilian gelato (Ice Cream)

3 cups whole milk (or 1 cup cream and 2 cups milk)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornflour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence (Queens)

Mix the the cornflour along with the sugar. In a sauce pan whisk together 200 ml of the milk with cornflour mix, making sure that there are no lumps.
Blend in the remaining 500 ml of the milk, the salt and vanilla. Warm until steaming hot on medium heat. Barely reaching a boil, cook and stir until the mixture begins to thicken. Reduce the heat and continue to stir until the mixture has thickened even further.
Take off from the heat and let the mixture cool down. Refrigerate for a couple of hours, and freeze according to the instructions of your ice cream machine.

Yield: 1 litre

Yoghurt – Substitute yogurt for half the milk.

Cherry – Add 1 cup halved, pitted cherries just before freezing.

Strawberry, Blueberry or Peach – Add 1 1/2 cups hulled, sliced strawberries, blueberries, or peeled and chopped peaches before freezing.

Coffee – 1 – 2 tbsp coffee powder added with cornflour.

Coconut – 1 cup coconut milk for 1 cup cream or milk; add 1/2 cup toasted dried coconut if you like.

Chocolate – 1/3 cup cocoa powder mix withjust 1 1/2tbsp cornflour before adding to milk

Mint Chocolate Chip – Add 1 tsp natural peppermint essence, 2 drops green food coloring, and 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate just before freezing.

Nocciola Gelato (hazelnut) – 115 grams shelled hazelnuts, toasted and skinned, grind the hazelnuts to a very fine paste adding some of the milk. (add cocoa for a nutella flavour and the reduced amount of cornflour, as in chocolate)

Lemon – 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel. 3/4 cup lemon juice

Chocolate cinnamon – 1/3 cup cocoa, 1 teaspoon cinnamon added to cornflour

To Make Fudge Pops
Divide the chilled gelato base among the ice pop molds and freeze overnight. These will have a slightly icy texture. (If you have an ice cream maker and would like fudge pops with a creamier texture, make the gelato in the ice cream maker as directed, before dividing it among the pop molds.)

lindylambchops1, Oct 28, 11:07pm
x1
flower-child01 that recipe sounds amazing, thanks very much am going to try it!Thanks for sharing!