Storing Fruit Cakes

darkestangel1, Oct 12, 6:23am
And Christmas is only 2 and a bit months away - so give me your best hints and tips please!

cgvl, Oct 12, 9:34am
I just wrap well. Leave it in the baking paper you cooked it inand then wrap in 2 or 3 layers of plain newsprint, then in a further 3-4 layers of ordinary newpaper. Store in a cool dark place until wanted.
I have successfully kept fruit cakes this way for 2 years before using and no they didn't dry out. But I do soak the fruit in alcohol for a week before making. I finally threw my wedding cake out 5 years after first making it. There was nothing wrong with it, it's just we dont eat enough and I wassick of it taking up pantry space.

punkinthefirst, Oct 13, 2:16am
Every time I see a thread like this it reminds me of our wedding cake.
When we were married (1967), it was customary to store the top tier to re-ice for the first christening cake. So we packed our top tier away in a box, complete with the decoration, which was a small basket of artificial flowers. We shifted house a few months later, and when we picked up the box a wee mouse came hurtling out the side. She had built her nest in the basket on the top of the cake, and was cleverly living, with her babies, on top of her feed source! Needless to say, the idea of using that cake at a Christening was abandoned! (And so was the cake - into the bin!) The dog and cat dealt with the babies, as I recall.

lindylambchops1, Oct 13, 7:53am
OMG!Love that story!Sorry to hear about the top tier.That's why I like a cat & dogs around the home.

sunflower18, Oct 19, 8:53pm
I have made fruit cakes for a wedding in early December.Now I am wondering if I have made them a tad too soon.Could you please tell me your tried and true ways of storing the cakes to keep them fresh.

Oppps, just saw the thread about storing xmas cakes!

guest, Dec 17, 9:49am
Graham Cracker crust (from recipe on the box.) Do not pre bake the crust I find that it taetss burned if you do. Put in 8 inch spring form pan -bottom and up the sides a bit.pre heat oven to 425 degrees placing a pan of water on the lowest shelf in the ovenMix 4 8 oz pkgs room temp cream cheese with1/3 cup of sugar just until blended, add 4 eggs beating between each addition,1 TB lemon juice1 heaping TB flour1 teas vanillaMix together just until blended ,don't over beatpour batter into crust and bake for 10 min. turn down temp. to 325 degrees and bake for 40 min and then turn off oven and let set in the oven for 40 min. take it out of the oven and let cool for 10min , run a knife around the edges and remove the spring form ring. cool at room temp for an hour before putting in the fridge. Top with fruit when cool or eat plain.I make cheese cakes for friends and relatives ( weddings and party's) This recipe always turns out, the water in the oven keeps the cake moist and prevents it from cracking.Hope this helps! Happy Baking!

guest, Dec 18, 2:19am
trust me on this one, it's the best ever:~~Chantal's New York Cheesecake~~INGREDIENTS15 graham crcrekas, crushed2 tablespoons butter, melted(I like to add 2 tablespoons of heavy cream so it'll make the crust soft and easy to cut)4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese1 1/2 cups white sugar3/4 cup milk4 eggs1 cup sour cream1 tablespoon vanilla extract1/4 cup all-purpose flourDIRECTIONS1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.2. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.