Old style kiwi beef curry

lindylambchops1, Feb 20, 4:24am
Have just made this tonight for dinner!Used beef mince!It smells good.

Hot day.have curry!LOL

kaddiew, Feb 20, 4:47am
Thanks for posting this - brings back so many 70s memories!:)

cuteviolet, Feb 20, 6:31am
Sounds great, but I would leave out the mixed herbs. (Just a personal preference.)

samanya, Feb 20, 6:56am
Yep .one of my old recipe books from my Mother had the Plunket 'catering for a crowd' curry & that was pretty much whatwas acceptable then.
But you have to remember that the world of international cooking hadn't reached NZ in those days & how many people travelled to know that there was more to a curry in India, Thailand etc than they knew about!

darren-j1, Jul 21, 11:16pm
recipe we used to have at 21st bithdays etc in the 70s. i love this recipe but cant replicate it . thank you in advance.

davidt4, Jul 22, 12:43am
My mother's"curry" in the sixties was always made with Vencatachellum curry powder, sultanas and chopped apple.I think the meat and onions were boiled in water with them.I've been told that another method back then was to mix the meat with water, curry powder and jam.It seems that sweetness was the important thing.

ange164, Jul 22, 12:55am
I have no idea if this is close to what you remember, but it's from "what shall I make" compiled by Waikoau womens social club, printed in 1970.

Mince meat Curry
Fry a small onion, diced apple and banana (optional) in butter, add a level dessert spoon curry powder, 3 heaped dessert spoons of flour and a small teaspoon salt. Stir quickly for about 3 minutes then add boiling water and stir until smooth. Add a good pinch of coconut, tablespoon jam, tablespoon chutney, tablespoon tomato sauce and a few sultanas and simmer. Lightly fry 250g mince and add to sauce. Simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

nickyd, Jul 22, 4:22am
This is the one my Mum used to make in the 70's - very cliche but people still enjoy it!

Beef Curry(Best flavour if made day before )

500g Blade Steak chopped,
1 clove garlic,
1 onion chopped,
1 t ground ginger (optional) ,
1 T curry powder,
1Granny Smith apple,
1 t mixed herbs,
2 T (or more) sultanas,
either2 T brown sugar & 2 T chutney or 2 T apricot jam,
salt and pepper,
600ml- 1litre beef stock,

Peel and chop garlic and apple.
Fry onion lightly, add apple and garlic and cook until soft.
Add curry powder and stir until well mixed.
Add meat, then stock, then other ingredients.
Simmer 2 - 2 ½ hours.
Add additional water through cooking if necessary.
Can be frozen and re-heated