Can I use "reduced cream" instead of "sour cream"

bookshelves, May 1, 3:06am
in beef stroganoff!I can't be bothered going out to supermarket again .

karenz, May 1, 3:21am
If you have lemon juice experiment with putting that into reduced cream, maybe even vinegar, it is the "bite" you want that you get with sour cream.

pericles, May 1, 3:22am
coconut cream & lemon, maybe

bookshelves, May 1, 3:30am
Thanks, yes I might add coconut cream and have it on rice . have a paprika/tomato/beef/onion base that's been slow cooking .

245sam, May 1, 3:41am
bookshelves, IMO karenz suggestion would be a very good substitute for the usual sour cream for stroganoff.For the stroganoff you really need the tang of the sour cream but IMO not the flavour of coconut cream - natural unsweetened yoghurt would be another good alternative but remember it would be of a thinner consistency than that of either sour or reduced cream.If using yoghurt I would mix it with some thickener (I prefer to use arrowroot in this situation) and that would also help to stabilize it and prevent the yoghurt from splitting.

Hope that helps.:-))

bookshelves, May 1, 4:12am
Thank you Sam. Fancy the coconut thing now and will turn it into an Asian dish. add some chilli and spring onions. should be nice. Didn't have mushrooms either!

bookshelves, May 1, 5:20am
It turned out great --- the sauce was just like butter chicken sauce, so will make this again with chicken next time.