Fried Rice

joyfuljoybell, Mar 18, 11:10am
Can someone help me with a recipe please.I made on the other night and got told by student not enough flavour.

jessie981, Mar 18, 7:52pm
Into the lefthand message board & under keyword put Fried Rice. Under date posted put last year. Recipes there. Good searching.

davidt4, Mar 18, 8:01pm
Delicious fried rice (Kylie Kwong)

Serves: supper for 2-4; part of a banquet for 6

1/3 cup peanut oil
4 large free-range eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon peanut oil, extra
11/2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
4 garlic cloves, diced
1 medium-sized brown onion, finely diced
1/2 cup roughly chopped rindless bacon rashers or Chinese sausage
2 tablespoons Shao Hsing wine
5 cups cooked medium-grain white rice
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 cup finely sliced spring onions (scallions)
3 teaspoons Maggi seasoning
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced on the diagonal
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/2 large red chilli, finely sliced on the diagonal
Method
Heat oil in a hot wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly. Pour beaten eggs into wok and cook for about 1 minute, lightly scrambling them and rotating the wok to ensure even cooking. When almost cooked through, carefully remove omelette from wok with a fish slice and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside.

Wipe out wok with kitchen paper, add extra oil and stir-fry ginger and garlic for 1 minute, or until very aromatic. Add onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender. Add bacon and stir-fry for a further minute, or until lightly browned. Stir in wine, then stir-fry for 30 seconds. 

Finally, add rice, reserved omelette, oyster sauce, spring onions, Maggi seasoning and sesame oil. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until rice is heated through. Roughly chop omelette into smaller pieces as you stir.

Divide rice between individual bowls and garnish with extra spring onions. Combine soy sauce and chilli in a small bowl and serve on the side.

lythande1, Mar 18, 8:22pm
I always add a bit of soya sauce to it at the end.

nauru, Mar 28, 8:10am
Definitely add a dash of sesame oil just before serving.

hestia, Mar 28, 9:00am
Add salt.

gennie, Mar 28, 9:03am
I was told by a student in my class (while we were swapping recipes) that the secret is to cook all the components seperately and then combine at the end.He said his mum always does this.

shop-a-holic, Mar 28, 11:26am
I cook all my components individually.

shop-a-holic, Mar 28, 11:26am
I cook all my components individually.
I also have no idea what Maggie seasoning is; nor bacon in Cantonese Cuisine.

pheebs1, Mar 28, 8:11pm
get student to cook it for you!
a good lesson for them and you
could be fun!

davidt4, Mar 28, 8:26pm
I think Kylie includes bacon as a substitute for Yunnan ham.I normally use lap cheong (Chinese air-dried sausage).

Here is some information about Maggi seasoning:

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2011/12/maggi-seasoning-sauce-substitutes-gluten-free-msg-free.html

fronta1, Mar 28, 8:34pm
I have discovered this fried rice recipe which takes 5 minutes to make and tastes amazing.

'No fail fried rice'

Heat vege oil in wok or pan

Add chopped onions
Minced ginger, about teaspoon
Minced garlic, about teaspoon
Chopped Chillies to taste
then
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp wine vinegar or wine

Add two cups pre-cooked cooled rice
Add spring onions, frozen peas etc
1 tsp vegetable stock powder
Half tsp sesame oil
Salt and Pepper

Stir fry few minutes till all heated through.
Serve with protein - tofu etc.

jimmy2102, Mar 28, 8:41pm
I always use the nasi- goreng packet, indofood brand at asian supermarkets. Its fabulous just add cooked rice, mixture of cooked veges some fried egg end away you go. I also top with spring onion and some of those fried shallots from asian shop.