Zucchini/Courgette Chocolate Cake Recipe

tammiraven, Jan 22, 6:36am
Does anyone have this recipe . I just fished out a whole lot of big and small Zucchini from the garden

eastie3, Jan 22, 6:42am
Here you are,I did a quick search and.

Courgette Chocolate Cake

125g butter
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 c yogurt
1/2 c cocoa
2 t baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla essence
3 cups (350g) grated zucchini/or courgette
1/2-1 c chocolate pieces (optional)

Line 25 cm square tin.
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time with a spoonful of flour mixture. Add vanilla and yogurt and stir well. Sift in dry ingredients and stir in zucchini.
Pour into tin, and sprinkle with chocolate pieces if desired.
Bake at 170C for 45 minutes

cookessentials (1190 )7:31 pm, Wed 16 Feb #18

sarahw2, Jan 22, 9:33am
Have you made this cake personally eastie3! Is it a moist cake! I would love to try it, but have made a cake with zucchini before and it was quite dry! Thanks:-)

macandrosie, Jan 23, 6:15am
Just make sure you don't use really large zucchini as the skin is tougher & can make your cake a bit chewy -I found out the hard way! Use the samller ones -about 20-25 cm

picxie, Jan 23, 8:50am
I actually made this cake yesterday, found it in an old thread! I didn't have yoghurt so just used milk. It turned out lovely and moist, like mud cake! Took longer than 45 min to cook but then our oven isn't the best. Will definitely make it again.

korbo, Jan 23, 8:59am
I wonder if I could use my sour cream instead of yoghurt.

jag5, Jan 24, 8:08pm
I made one a couple of years ago.grandson came to visit.thought it was the best chocolate cake ever.I made the mistake of telling him what was in it.lolsaid he would never eat a chocolate cake in my house again.bless him.

margyr, Mar 10, 7:17pm
I sent this recipe to a young friend of mine that is just learning to bake. Here is her reply:" Thought you might like to know that I made this recipe - twice even! The first time I used a pan that was smaller than the recommended size. It was edible, but a bit dense and wet.Tonight, however, I used a larger dish than recommended (~9x13ish inch).It was AMAZING.So good, especially served with more yoghurt.Our guests - couchsurfers from Slovakia and USA - really appreciated it.I'm going to share the recipe with the Slovak lady :)

geldof, Mar 10, 9:14pm
This is a great recipe.
I freeze grated zucchini when there is a glut, then I can make this all year round.

I just experimented on Friday and made it Gluten Free - works perfectly.

geldof, Mar 10, 9:15pm
Sour cream would be fine, korbo.

korbo, Mar 11, 7:58am
geldof.do you freeze the grated zucchini into small containers or just a big one, and take out what you want.thanks

tararenee, Mar 11, 8:05am
yum I so want to make this.Oh I wish I got around to putting a garden in

actiongirl1, Mar 11, 8:07am
I have made this and everyone loved it.

Question though.can you use frozen grated courgettes in it!

margyr, Mar 11, 8:38pm
actiongirl I cant find the thread now but do remember reading that one of the posters does freeze it, she freezes it in the quantity needed for the cake.