Good Wholemeal Banana Cake Recipe

smileeah, Jan 11, 9:05pm
When my children were very young I got this book called Cooking for your Baby the Natural Way by Laraine Toms. In it is this Banana Cake recipe that always turns out moist and yummy so I would like to share it.

125g butter, softened
3/4c sugar
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1 t baking soda
1 T milk
1 1/2c wholemeal flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t vanilla ess

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add mashed bananas. Dissolve baking soda in warm milk and add vanilla ess. Fold flour and milk alternately into butter mixture. Pour mixture into greased cake tin (I use 20cm) and bake at 180c for 30-40 min or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool then ice with following.
Caramel icing
1 c brown sugar
1 dessertspoon butter
1/4c milk
Place ingredients in a saucepan and stir until mixture boils. Simmer for five minutes without stirring. Beat until thick enough to spread.
Note: I use electric beaters to beat and take care not to overbeat as the fudge will set before you can get it onto the cake.
The recipe calls for 3 small bananas but I find using more bananas than the recipe states makes for a nicer cake. The other thing is to watch it carefully near the end of cooking to make sure its not overcooked.
Hope you enjoy!

asue, Jan 12, 3:27am
I remember making this for my kids - early 80's! G8 recipe

smileeah, Jan 12, 4:29am
It really is, I am impressed everytime I make it. :)

pr, Apr 13, 6:03am
I made this one too. Great recipe. Hard to get the book - mine disappeared.