South island dried apricots for jam.

spot20, Aug 26, 1:11am
I havnt been able to find these in my local supermarkets and wonder if they are still available! they make such divine jam!

lurtz, Aug 26, 1:40am
Otago dried apricots make wonderful jam. You can order them directly from
www.orchardfresh.co.nzor Google to find other South Island suppliers.

wron, Aug 26, 11:44am
lurtz - they're sold out!

duckmoon, Aug 26, 11:26pm
I have purchased some dried apricots from Moore Wilsons in Wellington. But they didn't tell me if they were NZ apricots or imported

spot20, Aug 27, 12:21am
damn and blast sold out! now what!

spot20, Aug 27, 12:22am
has anyone used turkish apricots for jam!

lurtz, Aug 27, 1:14am
spot2. Generally, dried Otago apricots are available through the website I mentioned, all year round. However, according to the ODT it was a lighter than usual apricot season in Central Otago this year so I guess that's why they are unavailable now. Otago apricots are larger and more flavoursome than others, and to me, they are in a league of their own. They make the most delicious jam. I haven't tried the Turkish ones in jam making, but have tasted them out of the packet so to speak. They're blander than Otago apricots, and smaller and firmer; but OK. To me they are not a jam making apricot, but others may find them quite satisfactory. I haven't seen Otago apricots in the shops for a couple of years now, but keep an eye on the website, and in January you may be able to buy some again.

lurtz, Aug 27, 1:31am
Here you go:-) I did a web search to see if Turkish apricots could be make into jam. There are many varieties of Turkish apricots, but the NZ imports seem to be a non jam making variety. I found this information in the Alison's Pantry website, so your best bet might be to see if New World have any; although they may have run out of stock also. Anyway, below is what I have copied and pasted from Alison's pantry website.

NZ Apricots (Central Otago)
Alison's Pantry New Zealand Apricots are quite different to their Turkish cousins. They have an intense, tart flavour, and they are the apricots you need to pulp down into jam or pie filling. Turkish apricots will never pulp, no matter how long they are cooked.

spot20, Aug 27, 1:46am
T
Thanks for that Lurtz, i have a few new worlds reasonably close by so will give them a go! Turkish apricots just dont inspire jam do they!

iriegirl, Aug 27, 1:48am
spot20, you could try this place, just email them to check availability :o) http://www.freewayorchard.co.nz/home.htm