Does anyone have a good pelmeni recipe

jmonster, Mar 19, 7:57am
that they are happy to share?
I have googled and found a few different ones but I am keen to hear from anyone who maybe has a family recipe that is really delicious?
Thanks heaps!

jessie981, Mar 19, 8:22am
Never heard of it?

red38, Mar 19, 8:23am
me either - sorry

lilyfield, Mar 19, 8:47am
say that in englisch?

jessie981, Mar 19, 8:49am
Chips with that?

lilyfield, Mar 19, 8:49am
interesting- I googled. You learn something very day.
Just try one of those online recipes.

jessie981, Mar 19, 8:57am
So what is it please?

fisher, Mar 19, 9:17am
My Mum just used minced beef, minced pork, fine chopped onion, garlic, salt, WHITE pepper, fresh fine chopped sage or some times a little mixed herbs..
It was fun making them as kids... we had races...:}some times she would put them into near finished homemade soup and lift them out when they were floaters....

lenart, Mar 19, 10:53pm
Traditionally finely mince equal amounts of beef, pork and chicken, add finely chopped onions, garlic, season with salt and pepper. The filling shouldn't be dry, add water is needed to make a smooth paste. The dough: flour, water, egg optional. Similar to pasta dough, needs to be kneaded well. Ready pelmeni can be frozen on a tray and then stored in a bag in the freezer. Serve with a dash of butter, sour cream or soy sauce. I like fish filling, minced with onions and dill. Any white fish or wild salmon will do.

davidt4, Mar 19, 11:14pm
Pelmeni are Russian filled dumplings, with a skin made from white flour and water and fillings usally made with meat, cabbage or cheese.They are cooked in water and served with butter or sour cream.

jmonster, Mar 19, 11:22pm
Thanks Fisher and Lenart- they sound similar to the ones I found on google.
I spent some time with a Russian family when I was a kid and remember these fondly, sadly I have not been able to track the recipe they used down- but will give both of yours a go.
Really awesome comfort food esp in winter : )

fisher, Mar 20, 7:24am
Well you can tell where my heritage is from then ...:}}} Not sure whether I ever saw mum put chicken in as well,but she used the old hand mincer and put the meat through, mixed it "all" up and put it through the mincer again.. There wasn't the abundance of "Store Herbs" back then so it was the basics she got out of her garden and mixed herbs from Greggs which always seems to have been available.. Don't think there was anything else to add as that's "all" there was to the recipe which is probably why you wont find a lot of variations..
When making them.. wet your fingers when pressing together and we made little tails and folded the ends over each other.. We never had freezer room so she always made fresh.. Let us know if you find something different...:}

jmonster, Mar 20, 7:57am
that they are happy to share!
I have googled and found a few different ones but I am keen to hear from anyone who maybe has a family recipe that is really delicious!
Thanks heaps!

jessie981, Mar 20, 8:22am
Never heard of it!

lilyfield, Mar 20, 8:47am
say that in englisch!

jessie981, Mar 20, 8:49am
Chips with that!

jessie981, Mar 20, 8:57am
So what is it please!

fisher, Mar 20, 9:17am
My Mum just used minced beef, minced pork, ( did her own mincing) fine chopped onion, garlic, salt, WHITE pepper, fresh fine chopped sage or some times a little mixed herbs.
It was fun making them as kids. we had races.:}some times she would put them into near finished homemade soup and lift them out when they were floaters. Any leftover dough was pinched off. pressed with a fork and put into the soup.

lenart, Mar 20, 10:53pm
Traditionally finely mince equal amounts of beef, pork and chicken, add finely chopped onions, garlic, season with salt and pepper. The filling shouldn't be dry, add water is needed to make a smooth paste. The dough: flour, water, egg optional. Similar to pasta dough, needs to be kneaded well. Ready pelmeni can be frozen on a tray and then stored in a bag in the freezer. Serve with a dash of butter, sour cream or soy sauce. I like fish filling, minced with onions and dill. Any white fish or wild salmon will do.

jmonster, Mar 21, 5:36am
Wow thanks Fisher!
Thats a good tip around wetting fingers!
Did she cook them in stock or just water? I remember them served in bowls with a tasty broth and big dollops of sour cream

fisher, Mar 21, 7:24am
Well you can tell where my heritage is from then .:}}} Not sure whether I ever saw mum put chicken in as well,but she used the old hand mincer and put the meat through, mixed it "all" up and put it through the mincer again. There wasn't the abundance of "Store Herbs" back then so it was the basics she got out of her garden and mixed herbs from Greggs which always seems to have been available. Don't think there was anything else to add as that's "all" there was to the recipe which is probably why you wont find a lot of variations on the meat side.
When making them. wet your fingers when pressing together and we made little tails and folded the ends over each other. We never had freezer room so she always made fresh. Let us know if you find something different.:}

jmonster, Mar 22, 5:36am
Wow thanks Fisher!
Thats a good tip around wetting fingers!
Did she cook them in stock or just water! I remember them served in bowls with a tasty broth and big dollops of sour cream