??CHCH COOKBOOK -> SALAD RECIPES??

Page 1 / 2
fastlanenz, Mar 4, 5:02am
Thank you all for your positive feedback on our main Christchurch Quake Fundraising Recipe Book thread. We feel confident enough to make a start:

Please bring your salad recipes in here.

These must be YOUR recipes that you are able to give permission for to be used in our TM community fundraising recipe book for Christchurch. Please do not include any recipes that come from a published cookbook ... unless of course you personally know Jamie Oliver and he has said in writing that we can include his pukka whatever !!!

You can take a shortcut and refer us to your recipe at post number xxx, in the xxx thread, on this message board or even better, provide a link to your recipe.

Many thanks in advance, Pat & Andrea

Ooops ... edited to add a luffly big heart on the side!

fisher, Mar 4, 5:22am
http://www.e-ware.co.nz/salad.htm http://www.e-ware.co.nz/potatosalad.htm
The thai beef salad is Kirinesha's..
The brown rice salad is a version of toadfish's

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 5:29am
Was gonna beg and plead Toadfish to have her brown rice salad recipe included .............**sits and waits patiently** ♥♥

pixiegirl, Mar 5, 12:29am
Bumping up for more recipes please. (and toady to come in)

player_smurf, Mar 5, 1:48am
Here's my Broccoli salad... been making this for over 25 years and its always a winner! 2 heads raw broccoli chopped into bite size pieces, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup grated cheese, 1/2 cup raisins" Dressing: 1 cup of dressing (i use WW mayo!) 1 tbsp vinegar, 1/4 sugar. I often add other 'bits' to the salad such as pineapple pieces chopped, nuts, celery or whatever you have on hand. Enjoy.

pixiegirl, Mar 5, 2:13am
Thank you player_smurf - much appreciated.

pixiegirl, Mar 5, 2:18am
player_smurf - is that meant to be 1/4 "???" of sugar??

fastlanenz, Mar 5, 5:02am
Thank you all for your positive feedback on our main Christchurch Quake Fundraising Recipe Book thread. We feel confident enough to make a start:

Please bring your salad recipes in here.

These must be YOUR recipes that you are able to give permission for to be used in our TM community fundraising recipe book for Christchurch. Please do not include any recipes that come from a published cookbook . unless of course you personally know Jamie Oliver and he has said in writing that we can include his pukka whatever !

You can take a shortcut and refer us to your recipe at post number xxx, in the xxx thread, on this message board or even better, provide a link to your recipe.

Many thanks in advance, Pat & Andrea

Ooops . edited to add a luffly big heart on the side!

fisher, Mar 5, 5:22am
http://www.e-ware.co.nz/salad.htm http://www.e-ware.co.nz/potatosalad.htm
The thai beef salad is Kirinesha's.
The brown rice salad is a version of toadfish's

fastlanenz, Mar 5, 5:29am
Was gonna beg and plead Toadfish to have her brown rice salad recipe included .**sits and waits patiently** ♥♥

brooksy1, Mar 5, 6:18am
Red Cabbage and Tamarillo Salad
The tamarillos in this recipe really lift it, I often add extra. ~
1/2 medium red cabbage, sliced ~
6 onions, sliced ~
12 stalks celery, sliced ~
12 tamarillos, peeled and sliced ~
1/2 cups sugar ~
2 dsps common salt ~
1/2 cup oil ~
1 1/2 cups vinegar ~
Put sliced vegetables in a serving bowl and sprinkle with sugar and salt. Mix oil and vinegar together and pour over salad. Stir well and leave to stand several hours.

brooksy1, Mar 5, 6:19am
Kumera Salad
A really delicious salad and well worth making

3 medium kumera, peeled, large dice, nuked and cooled
4 spring onions, diagonally diced
2 bananas, sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream}
1/4 cup mayo}mix together, carefully add to kumera mix
1 tsp curry}
1 tab roasted sesame seeds, garnish
Put bananas in a bowl and coat with lemon juice, add spring onions and cold kumera.Carefully stir in the dressing.

brooksy1, Mar 5, 6:21am
Hot Potato SaladJane
This is delicious served hot, warm or cold.
500grms potatoes, peeled, boiled and diced
salt and pepper
125grms lean bacon, diced
1 small onion, chopped
2 tabs sugar
1 tsp flour
75mls vinegar
75mls hot water
Put potatoes in serving dish. Fry bacon and put over potatoes. Fry onion in bacon fat. Mix sugar with flour and mix to a paste using vinegar and water, pour over onions and mix well. Cook until thickened.Pour over potatoes.

Zucchini Salad
A great recipe for using up the excess zucchinis. It also tastes great.The all green veges look very attractive.
4 medium zucchini, diced finely or grated
1 onion, finely diced, sliced or grated
1 green pepper, diced finely
2 sticks celery, finely sliced
1/3 cup white vinegar
3 tabs oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
shake pepper
Mix dressing ingredients and pour over prepared vegetables.Leave for 3 hours or more.

Brown Rice Tabouleh
I like this tabouleh as its easier and just as tasty as
the traditional tabouleh made with kibbled wheat.
3 cups cold cooked brown rice
juice of 1 lemon
6 spring onions, finely sliced
3 tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup French dressing
3/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup mint, chopped
Mix everything together and serve.

Banana Salad
I’ve put this salad here because I don’t know where else to put it as it is not a vegetable salad but is definitely savoury.It is absolutely delicious.
4 bananas, peeled and sliced
2 large onions, peeled and sliced
1 tab oil
2tsp curry
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sultanas
Saute onions 5 minutes until clear.Add curry and cook 1 minute.Add bananas and vinegar and cook 2 minutes.Stir in sultanas and place in serving dish.Leave until cold.Garnish with chopped coriander if desired.

lx4000, Mar 5, 6:27am
Pasta Salad

Cook pasta of your choice, drain and add to the pot 1 finely chopped onion, frozen corn and peas.
Put lid on and cool.
Add finely chopped parsley and salt to highlander condensed milk dressing and stir into pasta along with choice of chopped veggies like tomato, caps and cucumber.

Chill before serving.

player_smurf, Mar 5, 7:32am
oops sorry 1/4 cup sugar!

pixiegirl, Mar 5, 8:45pm
Wonderful - many thanks guys - keep them coming

player_smurf, Mar 6, 1:48am
Here's my Broccoli salad. been making this for over 25 years and its always a winner! 2 heads raw broccoli chopped into bite size pieces, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup grated cheese, 1/2 cup raisins" Dressing: 1 cup of dressing (i use WW mayo!) 1 tbsp vinegar, 1/4 sugar. I often add other 'bits' to the salad such as pineapple pieces chopped, nuts, celery or whatever you have on hand. Enjoy.

pixiegirl, Mar 6, 2:18am
player_smurf - is that meant to be 1/4 "!" of sugar!

player_smurf, Mar 6, 7:32am
oops sorry 1/4 cup sugar!

nauru, Mar 8, 5:38am
This is my own recipe for chickpea salad which I have been making for many years. Over the years, this recipe has been shared with family and friends around the world.

Curried Chickpea Salad.
1 can chickpeas drained or 2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 red onion or 1 spring onion finely chopped
1/2 red pepper finely diced
1 garlic clove finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablsp mayonnaise
2 tablsp sour cream
1 teasp curry powder
1/2 teasp gd cumin
1 tablsp fresh coriander chopped.
Mix all ingredients together and put in dish and chill until required.
It is a good salad to make the day before required & chill overnight.
You can spice it too by adding a little chopped chilli or extra spices.

headin2aussie, Mar 10, 12:15am
Hi, does anyone know how you go about saving these threads as I'd really like to keep the recipes they all sound d-lish!!TIA

maynard9, Mar 10, 12:33am
Or alternatively you could wait for the book to be published then buy a copy as that is what this is all about I thought - fundraising for Christchurch!

pixiegirl, Mar 10, 12:47am
Well said maynard9 - the purpose of this is to raise funds for ChCh - also recipes are coming in via TM members on facebook so there are recipes coming in that will not be listed under their topic.We are also endeavouring to have a celebrity section as well and those recipes will be going directly into the book and not posted on here.The object is we want to raise money and hopefuly by people buying this book it will also be a small piece of memrobelia (sp) as well. Thanks

kiwipossum, Mar 11, 3:10am
pixie girl it might be worth asking jamie oliver to include a recipe as i saw heposted about the quake on hes fb page :)

pixiegirl, Mar 11, 4:02am
I think we have him included in the list of people we have asked but will double check.Many thanks - any other suggestions greatfully appreciated.