Scroll recipes- caramel scrolls

littlemissella, Feb 27, 8:01am
Does anyone have a nice caramel scroll recipe similar to bakers delight? Or any other nice sweet scroll recipes? I have done a few savory ones- relish cheese and bacon, cheesymite, cream cheese sweet chilli spinich.

elliehen, Feb 27, 10:08am
Grated apple on top of a mix of a little melted butter, white sugar and cinnammon makes a tasty scroll.

ribzuba, Feb 27, 10:52pm
what i do is i make a caramel sauce and bake my scrolls in that (with cinnamon and brown suagr inside) ITS SOOO YUMMY

elliehen, Feb 28, 12:26am
ribzuba, I know you're busy baking, but can you please give the exact ingredients and the method etc ?

littlemissella, Feb 28, 4:58am
Recipe please :) I am trying to make ones similar to bakers delight as I refuse to pay $3.50 for a scroll!

elliehen, Feb 28, 10:30am
Bump for ribzuba :)

stormbaby, Feb 28, 10:39am
I do the roll recipe in the Breville breadmaking book, use the dough setting, then make my "sweet rolls" that way. You can put anything in them, roll them out into strips, put your toppings in, either a custard, raisens, apples, or make a savory one with bacon, cheese etc, then roll up and put on a tray to rise. Most weekends I have a couple of trays of rolls rising on the bench during the day and bake at night, freeze for lunches that week. I agree, don't like paying $3.50 for a scroll or pizza roll etc.

ribzuba, Feb 28, 9:22pm
hey sorry late in posting back.
i make brioche for the dough of my scrolls (which is a rich french bread).it takes a little longer as is a yeast based bread but it is so completely worth the time and i advise you try it at least once to see!you could substitute it for your normal baking powder scroll recipe too though.Most of the time involved is in the prooving time though! For best results do leave it overnight.It is great though because you can make it when you have a lot of time and freeze it!
Brioche
1/3C very warm water (about 46deg)
7g dry active yeast or 14g fresh yeast
580g plain flour or 4.5 Cups
1/3C sugar
280g butter (room temp)
6 large eggs (room temp)

Combine water and yeast and let stand for 10 mins
Sift together flour and sugar.
Slowly add eggs mixing till combined and keep kneading until just forms a paste.
Add dissolved yeast and knead for 15 mins if doing by hand or 10 mins slow on a machine.
Slowly add the butter (cubed) kneading well after each addition.
Place in a large floured bowl and cover with plastic warp.Set aside to double in a warm place, about 3 hours (if there is no-where suitable put your oven on 50deg and pop it in there)
Once doubled in size turn it out and fold it over a few times to knock the bubbles out then return to bowl, glad wrap and chill overnight.
NEXT DAY
Remove dough from fridge, and roll out into a rectangular shape on a floured surface, aim to get the dough to about 3mm thick.
Spread the dough with soft butter then sprinkle on cinnamon and brown sugar. Carefully roll the dough up into a giant scroll.From here you can either refridgerate again if you don't want to bake it immediately or freeze it as well.
If using straight away the cut into desired thickness, about 1 inch and then place on a deep well greased baking tray( if you are baking them in caramel sauce pour it into the tray before you place the scrolls in to rise), leaving space in between each scroll for it to double in size.Leave in a warm place to double-about 3 hours.
Baked at 180deg for about 15mins or until golden brown.
My favourite part has to be eating the caramel sauce off the tray after!
Caramel Sauce
1:1:1/4 ratio of cream:sugar:butter
ie 250g cream, 250g sugar and 75g butter
Put cream on low heat.Melt butter in a pan over a low heat, when it is melted add sugar.Stir intermitantly until the sugar is beginning to caramelise, keep an eye on it and keep stirring until it becomes a beauuutiful caramel colour and a thick liquid.Slowly add the cream, stirring the whole time.Once all the cream is added pour through a sieve to remove any lumps and add a little bit of vanilla and salt.

elliehen, Feb 28, 9:26pm
Thank you very much for this - a lot of patient typing, while you are so busy.

smileeah, Feb 28, 10:04pm
YUM! Yum yum yum yum YUM!!!

littlemissella, Feb 28, 11:56pm
Thank you :) I make all my dough in a george foreman breadmaker so i will see if I can do so with that recipe. Yum yum!

ribzuba, Mar 1, 4:18am
To make the brioche in a bread maker from scratch is a different recipe as you cannot add everything in the right order.Your breadmaker recipe book probably has it's own brioche recipe for breadmaker brioche :D

ribzuba, Mar 1, 9:22pm
hey sorry late in posting back.
i make brioche for the dough of my scrolls (which is a rich french bread).it takes a little longer as is a yeast based bread but it is so completely worth the time and i advise you try it at least once to see!you could substitute it for your normal baking powder scroll recipe too though.Most of the time involved is in the prooving time though! For best results do leave it overnight.It is great though because you can make it when you have a lot of time and freeze it!
Brioche
1/3C very warm water (about 46deg)
7g dry active yeast or 14g fresh yeast
580g plain flour or 4.5 Cups
1/3C sugar
280g butter (room temp)
6 large eggs (room temp)

Combine water and yeast and let stand for 10 mins
Sift together flour and sugar.
Slowly add eggs mixing till combined and keep kneading until just forms a paste.
Add dissolved yeast and knead for 15 mins if doing by hand or 10 mins slow on a machine.
Slowly add the butter (cubed) kneading well after each addition.
Place in a large floured bowl and cover with plastic warp.Set aside to double in a warm place, about 3 hours (if there is no-where suitable put your oven on 50deg and pop it in there)
Once doubled in size turn it out and fold it over a few times to knock the bubbles out then return to bowl, glad wrap and chill overnight.
NEXT DAY
Remove dough from fridge, and roll out into a rectangular shape on a floured surface, aim to get the dough to about 3mm thick.
Spread the dough with soft butter then sprinkle on cinnamon and brown sugar. Carefully roll the dough up into a giant scroll.From here you can either refridgerate again if you don't want to bake it immediately or freeze it as well.
If using straight away the cut into desired thickness, about 1 inch and then place on a deep well greased baking tray( if you are baking them in caramel sauce pour it into the tray before you place the scrolls in to rise), leaving space in between each scroll for it to double in size.Leave in a warm place to double-about 3 hours.
Baked at 180deg for about 15mins or until golden brown.
My favourite part has to be eating the caramel sauce off the tray after!
Caramel Sauce
1:1:1/4 ratio of cream:sugar:butter
ie 250g cream, 250g sugar and 75g butter
Put cream on low heat.Melt butter in a pan over a low heat, when it is melted add sugar.Stir intermitantly until the sugar is beginning to caramelise, keep an eye on it and keep stirring until it becomes a beauuutiful caramel colour and a thick liquid.Slowly add the cream, stirring the whole time.Once all the cream is added pour through a sieve to remove any lumps and add a little bit of vanilla and salt.

smileeah, Mar 1, 10:04pm
YUM! Yum yum yum yum YUM!

ribzuba, Mar 2, 4:18am
To make the brioche in a bread maker from scratch is a different recipe as you cannot add everything in the right order.Your breadmaker recipe book probably has it's own brioche recipe for breadmaker brioche :D