NZ ingredients???

donna23, Feb 22, 12:30am
Does anyone know of a website that lists tinned/packaged/frozen food that is made completely with NZ ingreds, so many labels say "made from local and imported ingredients", "product of Thailand" etc etc. Grocery shopping takes so long when one has to read the labels on nearly everything!!!

duckmoon, Feb 22, 1:15am
it is really difficult...
and the labels are vague...

I know we don't grow sugar in NZ, but just because it might have sugar in it, does that mean that "local and imported ingredients" tells me the info I want?

uli, Feb 22, 4:26am
Most labels will say that because we cannot grow ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, sugar cane (well we do but not in commercial quantities) etc.

So that is why that is on. It also makes a mockery out of country of origin labeling. NZ has bowed to big business since years on that - because of pressure from countries who know we wouldn't buy it if it became obvious.

Even organic produce is now coming from China etc - ALL the organic dried beans for example are now imported from China. And beware of Chinese pine nuts http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/04/pine-nut-syndrome/

petal1955, Feb 22, 5:24am
Saw advertised on TV over the weekend........Talleys frozen veggies all NZ grown

elliehen, Feb 22, 6:42am
And many in the fertile fields of theTasman district adjacent to their factory :)

If you buy frozen spinach, you'll find Talley's is grown in NZ, but Wattie's comes from an Eastern European country.